Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Your right, I went off on a rant and didn�t even give my perfect long shot. Well my farthest Game animal was on a Nevada antelope hunt by Sheldon NWR, north of Reno, open ground 475 yards. Even at that comparative short distance ground effects (heat wave, thermal effect) can fool you and your optics. It can distort your view enough to either hold to high or too low using a basic mil dot. I have had to deal with this a lot in the sand box. I apologize if I have upset a few of you. I just get more satisfaction as a hunter to outsmart the game and get in as close as I can without it knowing I�m there, rather than reaching out and touch it from 1000 plus. But to answer the question�..400 on deer size game, and 200 on large game (elk, bear). Too much can go wrong on the big stuff, for long shots.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya didn't pizz us of that much...

See if you felt that the mirage was an issue, and it can be a REAL issue, good shooters know all of that, I've been aware of that since the 80s...., then the 475 yard shot should have been a no go.

My longest to date is 802. Conditions were perfect. Very slight mirage, and not enough movement to worry about wind... both hits within 6 inches of each other IIRC. Been a lot of days I've walked away from much shorter shots.

As to the comments on getting closer... yeah I do and a lot of us do, but prefer to be prepared.

To preach that only this rifle, or that max distance or this bow or that MZ is sporting/ethical is BS. I've killed so many animals up close with a bow that the longer shots are more challenging than wacking something that doesnt' even have a chance up close, but thats just the stage of life I'm at.

I will argue with your common sense of taking a longer shot at a smaller target and a shorter shot at a larger target though... Put a hole in something vital and 99% of the time its dead. If the target is bigger, it extends your effective range.

I am not making a deal of you wanting a close shot. I am making a deal of preaching it on something titled long range hunting... Its kinda like going to an archery forum and telling em bows suck..

Respectfully submitted, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

To preach that only this rifle, or that max distance or this bow or that MZ is sporting/ethical is BS. I've killed so many animals up close with a bow that the longer shots are more challenging than wacking something that doesnt' even have a chance up close, but thats just the stage of life I'm at.

You seem to say that longer range gives the animal some chance? Chance at what?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chance?? Walking away before you get setup, gauge distance, wind and make the decision... And they always have the chance of me deciding no. A long shot is never guaranteed to be there once you decide to shoot, unless you just flop down, don't give a damn and start flinging... FWIW every longer shot I've taken has taken me personally at least 10 minutes or more to set up and get ready.

Once an animal is in my short range area, it has no chance. None at all unless there is a misfire.

Course thats just me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
"Perfect conditions" means many things, but to me it most certainly includes TIME to set up the shot. If nothing else I probably need that time to get past the shakes <g>.

I am really appreciative of the fact that this thread has stayed civil. My hat is off to everyone who has so far participated. A civil debate is a great thing.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
wink

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Rost495, The main reason on the 200 yard for larger game, because were I hunted you could not see farther than 200 yards. One of the other reasons is that all the guided hunts I went on. The guide would put a limit to shooting distance of under 200. Especially in Alaska were I was stationed for a few years. You couldn�t see 2 yards in front of you in some of the stuff. I love to shot long range. It is the complete test of an individuals shooting ability to see what his limit is. I just really get upset with the ones that haven�t put the time in to master this art. Like said earlier, �The Wal Mart Rambo� can really cause true hunters to suffer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Totally understood now on the range limit issues. The keyboard doesn't always explain really well(ya know it types what we type, but doesn't convey what we are thinking too!)

Never been on a guided hunt so have no clue there. But I have guided and quit since the ranch would not limit shots or shooters talents. IE we had a field where you could shoot a whopping 300 yards out of a solid large blind. We made the folks test shoot the guns before hunting at least.. lets just say the field was were we found wounded deer, I often went back a few days after a hunt to a knoll about 550 yards out, and would finish the wounded ones from there....

Where were you at, in AK?

Jeff

R
rbw Offline
R
As a kid, I was big on the long range comps with the 308. I was quite confident shooting out to 1400 metres. Kept up with my shooting in the infantry.

No way in hell I would try that silliness on a hunt!

My longest intentional shot was out about 450 metres, but I was prone with a bipod and no wind. I made a fluky shot once, nearing the 600 metre mark, on my buddy's gutshot doe. Poor thing was hit hard but hauling ass over a hillside. My idiot buddy was rattled after missing his follow-up shots.

With only those two exceptions, most of my hunting shots have been within 200 metres. A couple in the 300 metre range, but I would never take these shots in a strong wind or heavy brush.

Too many idiots out there getting careless, pushing the limits of their loads and capabilities.

I watched a video on long range hunting once. Although I was initially impressed, the only thing I could think was, "What if the first shot was only a crippling hit? Much too far for a clean follow-up shot on a hobbling animal." Then I thought, "How many bad hits were experienced by these clowns, that were excluded from the video?"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man.... 300 metres even in a headstrong wind is a chip shot given a solid enough rest that the conditions dont' physically push the gun or shooter around....

But i am really glad folks put limits on themselves.

Jeff

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The one huge benefit (for me) of shooting at 600 yards and beyond a bunch this last year... is that 300 yards is indeed in the realm of "chip shot" these days.

600 yards... not so much <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
300 used to be a long dream for me.... shooting enough 600 to 1000 it became that 200 and 300 wasnt' an issue at all, even in winds, we'd just use a speed meter... cross a chart for the angle/speed, and click it in. Using the humble 223 and measly 69s (IE any game cartridge is much better in the wind...) I dont' recall ever missing windage by much more than 3-4 inches.... thats not enough to sweat..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Since this is a question just begging for a real answer that people can throw darts at, I'll go first.

600 yards.

This post is well past a month old, Jeff_o is the MASTER of starting a post that means less than nothing and just keep's it rollin'.
The question is so vague that any one that really knows something will shy away because the ignorant will pile-on
my bad sorry for posting just trying to help some innocent victims from getting sucked in.
B

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
boatanchor,

We've had a nice thread here. No "victims". Some good discussion.

Thanks for your wonderful contribution; ironically, given your warning to the poor "innocent victims" out there, I think yours is the WORST post on this thread and one of the few posts with any malice to it.

I suggest you read the thread. Or go away.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some get along with Jeff, some don't.... I do agree on the read or not read thing.... folks got an ignore button too..... I don't agree with everything Jeff says, but he sure does come up with some questions.

Jeff

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He sure does! grin He learns a lot from the good folk of the Campfire by asking these questions, too. And is very thankful for their help and willingness to share what they know.

Anyways "boatanchor" can think whatever he wants about me; that's his perogative. From the tone of his post nothing I could say or do, other than go away forever, would make him happy anyway.

But this has been a darn decent thread, especially given the subject at hand, and I won't let him cast aspersions on it.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went out and did some shooting with Jamie and Horsefly80 yesterday... I can say about 1/2 mile is well within reasonable rifle range... for ME. And, conditions were less than "perfect"... with winds in the 5-10 mph range (and swirling).

Also, big guns (7 Mag + ), and high BC bullets are pretty much mandatory when taking long range pokes at critters... the 3oo RUM (all 3 of them) had very little issues on targets out to 1ooo yards... and one rock (about 12") got abused over and over again (untill Jamie decided to break it) at 875 yards.

As far as the 'ethics' argument goes... that seems far to personal and arbitrary to even try and debate. I've said before: Hunting Ethics is an animal with a hole through the lungs (or CNS if that's what you prefer)... doesn't mean a hill of beans how that hole got there... an arrow from 4 yards or a 300 grain SMK from a mile... as long as the critter is dead post haste... that's an "ethical hunter" taking an "ethical shot".

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well put!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rbw,

You told us somethings, but...

What is your personal perfect-conditions maximum range on game?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was alot of fun. I'll be back up ther Saterday AM looking for bears, later in the day I'll shoot some rocks. I've got to get those 208gr. A-max's loaded and give them a try on some distant rocks.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
547 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.