Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Since this is a question just begging for a real answer that people can throw darts at, I'll go first.

600 yards.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÃœCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 300 yds for me. I really don't want to get anything that bad.

I had the 270 WSM early one morning and some deer were feeding at a lasered 450 yds. There was some wind blowing even that early. Instead of shooting I got closer and got a shot at 150 yds.

Another time I passed up a 400 yd shot on a sleeping black bear but that time I only had a 7mm-08.

On the other hand, as Jorge said, if I were on some big trip and there was some trophy out there I would shoot further.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I had the 270 WSM early one morning and some deer were feeding at a lasered 450 yds. There was some wind blowing even that early. Instead of shooting I got closer and got a shot at 150 yds.

Another time I passed up a 400 yd shot on a sleeping black bear but that time I only had a 7mm-08.

On the other hand, as Jorge said, if I were on some big trip and there was some trophy out there I would shoot further.

WOW!!! That�s really sad just because your on some big trip and there may be a big trophy out there you are going to try and stretch your normal shooting abilities�. Doesn�t the big trophy animal deserve the same respect that you would give a little dink animal on a normal hunt? I know there are a lot of hunters with that attitude very sad. frown

Last edited by joecool544; 06/18/08.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
300 yards with a good scoped rifle; 400 yards if I have a range finder.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This isn't a can of worms, its a pallete.....

If conditions are right... and I have the right gear, I don't have an issue at cussing range. IE folks really cussing me...

An almost everyday answer should be about 300 yards... I mean under most any circumstance....

I have no qualms about a mile though....

Savage99 I totally appreciate your candor though!!! Its your game, you play it how you want! I want to be prepared just in case I decide at that moment it needs to be done regardless. But as I get older things in life change. I used to be after the big antlers so to speak, I get pure joy out of a doe/cow these days... good eats, a perfected shot etc..... Won't pass a big one though, but appreciate folks that are disciplined. I used to hunt only with a bow when younger... I'm much more open these days to both weapons and distances.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to get as close as I can on big game, and then closer! I shot a blackbuck antelope once at over 250 yards...he was moving away, and there was no more cover. I had to take the shot if I wanted him, and I did. I laid down on the ground, stood my 10x50's on their objective end, and shot across the top of the ocular lens end! I was on a ridge, and he was down below me in a big draw steadily moving away. I was already breathing hard, and my heart was in my throat, and the sweat was in my eyes...it was summertime in Texas. I killed him with a Weatherby Mark V WeatherMark in .257 Weatherby Mag. mounted with a Leupold Vari-X II 4-12x40 with AO. I know the gun is a lot more capable than I am...I was certainly 'maxed out'. cool

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff- a lot of this for me depends on range, conditions, critters and my state of mind.

700 is a good rule for me under the bests of all worlds. (that's as far as the dotz in my Mashburn go to... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like stuff close, I do lots of long range shooting but like my critters under 100 yards.

Assuming all the stars were aligned, and I hadn't had a pot of coffee, 700 yards wouldn't be a problem, but I have no desire to shoot a critter that far except for a wuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've also seen more folks screw up CLOSE shots than I have long'ish shots.

Put a dude face to face suddenly with something he REALLY wants at 40 steps and I've seen lots of bad things happen. Seen the same folks flame stuff with zero problems at 400 yards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
my 243 is set up very simple,2" high at 100 dead on at 200 and 6" of holdover at 300 yards,and I just dont hardly get a shot over that distance round here anyway,if one presents itself I spose Ill just have to guess at the holdover.............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like dead nuts on at 100 for threading needles.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No guessing at holdover, if you don't know it, you have NO business attempting the shot at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Open sights 200 yds. Scope 450 yds. Could go a little longer but why.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago, when I was active in competition long range shooting, 500 yards wasn't out of the question, from a solid rest and if I knew the exact distance. And the animal was standing still and broadside.

Now, several years older, eyes not as good, and not as steady, I think I would limit it to about 200 yards. In the past few years, I have passed on shots at two really good bucks at a measured 3 to 4 hundred yards.

I am not a successful hunter. By that I mean, my lifetime bag is not as much as some hunters yearly bag. The reason being is that I have never tried anything besides a broad side shot at a deer or antelope in the open. I don't take running shots in thick brush, nor have I ever shot a deer in the rear end, although I have passed up several rear end shots. Nor have I ever shot for the largest part of the deer I could see.

I think the limit on distance should have a lot to do with weather, visibility, (overcast, rain, late in the day) the way the animal is facing, whether the animal is standing still or moving, in the open or in thick brush, and especially how steady my shooting position is.

And, very important, the shooter's skill. I know people who should not be allowed to take a shot of more than 40 or 50 feet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I won't shoot more than 250-300 at a broadside animal. I'd prefer they were closer and always try and cut the distance. I live by the rule of aim for hair not air. But this is just me...

Shut up and hunt!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like dead nuts on at 100 for threading needles.

I am in 100% agreement with that, with my dense-cover rifles at least.

The B&C and Zeiss reticles I've been using require me to sight in more like 1.5" high at 100 yards to make 'em work right, which I suppose could be considered a downside to them.

Being sighted WAY high, like some guys like, and then having to shoot through an opening at a critter 30 yards away with a twig to miss in the opening... that's just too complicated for my pea brain to calculate in the heat of the moment, hence the 100-yard zero for my blacktail rigs.

---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't want to clutter up my initial post (asking for people's personal max range) with my particulars, but now that the thread is going I will...

The 600 yards I state is truly a perfect-conditions maximum. I've never even thought of shooting that far at an animal; in fact the furthest I've shot at is around 125 yards. However relentless practicing has, by sheer repetition, got me hitting a vitals-sized target very consistantly at 600 yards with several different rifles. If the conditions are right I could see taking that shot- but boy oh boy, they would have to be RIGHT. Everything from the external factors, to my own physiology of the moment. I get major adrenaline rushes when I am killing things and I am not sure I could hold a rifle still enough to kill at 600 yards- regardless of how perfect everything else was, I might not be able to do it.

Most of my rifles are running out of steam at around that distance anyway, as far as staying above 1800 fps or so. I know that doesn't matter to some guys, but it does to me. I want reliable expansion.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Under Ideal conditions,500 yards is my limit,because that is as far as I've ever practiced and the wind is hard enough for me to work with at 500 yards with a really light breeze.

In a really stiff breeze,300 is plenty far for me.

If you have more skill and expeience than me,your ranges will be farther,but really 500 yards is a very long shot at a big game animal.

Britt

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
For hunting I will go 400 and passed on the only non-typical blacktail I have ever seen at slightly over 500 under perfect conditions. I never saw him again after loosing him on a stalk and have no regrets about not taking the shot. I do have my rifles data out to 600 and it came in handy a few years ago. I stumbled across a previously wounded buck across a canyon, One shot at 475 put him down at dusk when there was no option of getting any closer.

I would rather hunt than shoot game but will not try to put restrictions on someones ability. Feel free to call me two faced but coyotes dont count and I would have no problems trying any safe shot.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Jeff,

I'd have to say with perfect conditions no more than 600 yds on coues wt. Same would go for an antelope if I ever got drawn. The other big game I chase allow me to get much closer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeff

Got one rifle that is not running out of steam... but sad fact is I have not been able to find a range locally that I can stretch it out to see where it starts to fail...

I know the 50s necked down some are supersonic out to about 2500 yards and holding sub moa groups...

I've shot a few 10 inch groups right at a mile in good conditions with my big gun. Its doable if EVERYTHING is right.

But you make a good point about distance.

I still say that everything out to 300 is a no brainer chip shot or SHOULD be for folks that apply themselves. Anything beyond that, and even that if the wind is really stiff, takes a lot of work and thinking.

As to whats not being said here, TOF... TOF can be 5 seconds or can be a fraction of a second, an animal can move in either situation. Granted the 5 has higher odds, but on a relaxed feeding animal or ESPECIALLY a bedded one..... ain't gonna matter.

I prefer all my shots to be under 100 yards.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
700 yds and I'm 100% confident under ideal conditions

I could prolly go 1000 without blinking, I know my equipment will do it, but I just havent shot enough at that distance to have the confidence to do it on game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm surprised the "hunting vs. shooting" storm hasn't formed here. It still might though.

I have the info on my loads to the range I would try under ideal conditions and favorable circumstances; in other words for me it would vary and be fluid according to wind, rest, animal - alert or calm, its position. When I was younger I will admit that I would have included time to hunt also but I no longer allow that as part of the criteria.

The thing I would most want to avoid, recovery or not, is a wounded, suffering animal due to a first bad hit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Under ideal conditions, I'll go to 1000 yard. The drop charts on my hunting rifles stop at 1000. I shoot weekly up in the mountains at ranges running from 800 to 1000 and 1200 with a couple of rifles now and then.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing for me is that I have to see myself getting FIRST SHOT, every time hits at a given range, over a period of a bunch of sessions, before I feel comfortable about that range. I've been pushing that "comfort" point out further and further. I'm a LOOOONGGG ways away from feeling like I could get a first shot, every time hit at 1000 yards! That's awesome. Give me a couple sighters, and I'll get on the target and pelt it, but that first shot is the hard one. For me.

You going to post any new vids, Jamie?

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm thinking about doing an egg and tomato can shoot, depending on weather.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jeff.
My last couple of videos are just like the others, I shoot a piece of steel or a rock, nothing very interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joecool544
Doesn�t the big trophy animal deserve the same respect that you would give a little dink animal on a normal hunt? I know there are a lot of hunters with that attitude very sad. frown

I take this an entirely different way. For the little dink animal, especially on "normal hunts" you are constantly given better opportunities so there's no reason to choose the hard shot. It's not giving the trophy less respect; it's simply not being able to choose the easy shot for him because it may never come. You can't make a choice not available to you.

This thread is about each of us deciding what the maximum amount of risk (based purely on range) is that we personally deem acceptable; with which we'll pull the trigger and still be able to look at ourselves in the mirror.

Nobody is advocating that just because this risk is acceptable if it's your only choice that one seeks it. We all want to minimize risk as much as possible. There's no reason to take the 99% shot if you get 100% opportunities every day.

If the horns are big enough, I'm going to put a thumpin' on a buck waaay out there if I'm sure I can make the shot. Will I fill my doe tag at the same distance? Hell no, why on earth would I when I know I can get one at rock throwing range any time I want?

That's all I think he meant and if so I feel the same way. The only disrespect would be taking a risky shot if you knew you could get closer but were too lazy, etc. If you know this is the best choice you're going to get and feel confident in the shot, there's no disrespect there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joecool544
Originally Posted by Savage_99

WOW!!! That�s really sad just because your on some big trip and there may be a big trophy out there you are going to try and stretch your normal shooting abilities�. Doesn�t the big trophy animal deserve the same respect that you would give a little dink animal on a normal hunt? I know there are a lot of hunters with that attitude very sad. frown

As for my self I don't know any hunters with "that attitude". Here my range is limited to 200 yds thus I use data to extend the range. For game I limit myself pretty much to whats sure and thats about 300 yds.

For a 'big trip' I would have to fire some shots at the longer actual ranges as others have mentioned. Unless I could do this and confirm my settings I would not shoot further.

Thanks for your concern.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage, you'll find it pretty straightforward to hit out to 400 yards, if you shoot "normal" calibers that is, but then it starts to get exponentially harder after that. Maybe not truly exponentially harder, but you get the idea. There is, in my opinion, a world of difference between 500 yards and 600 yards for example... in my case, about 4 or 5 months of diligant practice, at least once or twice a week, to extend from 500 to 600. It's the wind.

At 400 yards you can just wing it pretty much as far as wind. Add a little seat-of-the-pants Kentucky correction and you'll be fine in reasonable conditions. Not so at 600- again just IMHO and shooting the stuff I shoot (bullets in the high .4's to low .5's as far as BC).

I THINK, don't know this for sure, but I THINK that if you use obscenely high BC bullets, the range at which the wind is a non-factor is extended. However, most of those bullets are inappropriate for hunting and might be a real problem if the shot turned out to be 50 yards away!

As to the ethics of shooting XXX (or even XXXX) yards at game, that is an unavoidable topic in a thread like this, I suppose, but that's been beat to death and then some so the more we can leave it lay, the better? :-)

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bottom line, given the circumstances of each particular shot, if I"m 200% sure I can make it, it goes bang. If not its a pass.
Thats regardless of if its a doe or a B/C animal. I see NO difference between any animal, and have passed shots on coyotes at under 200 since i was not confident and if, IMHO, I'm the one that decides to end somethigns life, it needs to be done right NOW, whether its a snake or a trophy or in between.

As to high BC bullets not being adept at close in shots.. its very simple and been mentioned before, I carry stout bullets in the gun. If I have to stretch my legs I can single load a LR round with specific bullet, and as such I"ll be having to adjust my zero to hit anyway.... its very simple to make the adjustment to that specific bullet..... I shoot or used to shoot 4 different bullets in a highpower match, we had 4 stages and I had specific bullets for each. I also had specific bullets for different conditions, IE not only did I use 4 different for the stages, in each stage I often had at my access either 2 or 3 different loads for the days conditions, whether it was wind bucking, accuracy, or average day as to requirements.

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If conditions are perfect and I do everything right I can be about 10 feet distant...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I shoot at 200 yards regularly. feel confident at 300. Don't get to practice at ranges further than that so I guess I would have a hard time shooting anything beyond 300. Which is a shame because I have a 300 Wtby and 300 Ultra that I know would be up to the task if I had a place to practice. smile

----------
Hunting is my religion
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We're talking "perfect" conditions. Okay - with perfect conditions - I'm confident to 600 yards. Why 600? Good gear, and I do a LOT of shooting to 600 yards. My gun club has a 600 yard range, and I shoot there year round, it's really not a problem. I have to admit that I've never taken a mulie out that far, but with the right gear in hand, and "perfect" conditions - meaning a steady rest, a laser-accurate range to target and no wind... Yeah, I'd go 600 for sure.

[Linked Image]
Winchester Model 70 .300 WSM with 4.5 - 14 Leupold. Shooting 190 grain Berger VLD's at 2950 fps. It does just fine at 600 yards.

[Linked Image]
Rem 700 with a Krieger barrel, chambered in .308 Winchester, I've shot "high master" level scores in NRA prone matches with it at 600 yards, sling & scope. smile Very satisfying rifle to shoot, and good on 'yotes & rockchucks at longish ranges. I've been shooting this rifle for about 12 years now and have gone through a few barrels, even in .308 Win - yes - I'm confident with it at 600 yards in good conditions.

Regards, Guy

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I hate to guess the round count if you have been through a "few" barrels in .308. I have about 5700 through mine (remington factory) and still getting submoa at 300. I keep waiting for it to wear out to put on a Krieger blank I have shoved in the corner but the rifle is not cooperating.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, if it ain't broke...

That's one of the wonderful attributes of .308!! Need to get me one of them.. again..

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
4500-6000 is an average sub moa round count for 308. gilt edge accuracy often doesn't last much longer than 3500-4500 though...
But it means a few tubes would be 10-15K for sure.

Pretty easy if you shoot like I did, around 8K a year.

A good bolt gun in 308 with a scope should be shooting 200s IE perfect scores with high x counts almost every time out at 600... Its what a good gun and shooter can do... frankly hitting a 12 inch target at 600 yards isn't very hard to do.

Jeff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yup. I do like to shoot the .308 a lot. Sadly I'm only managing scores in the 190 - 199 range for the most part. Certainly not the fault of the rifle or cartridge!

Regards, Guy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those scores are far above what even a fairly practiced shooter will be able to do consistently....

I was amazed at how much easier a scope seems to make things after irons all these years... I guess thats why the scope F targets are 10 ringed smaller than the 12 inch standard!

Jeff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Funny thing - I enjoy shooting the scoped rifle more - but my highest score in a match was a 199, with sights. Go figure.

Someday I oughta put a bipod on it and try F-class, but for now I'm having too much fun with the sling.

My apologies to all for sidetracking this long-range hunting thread... Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Guy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not to say that I would never take a shot longer than 400 yards, I just can't imagine needing to. Other than antelope and a few varmints, most all my shots at big game are well under 200 yds. I guess my limit would be 400 yds with my ideal max at 300 yds. Lou

NRA Benefactor member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll continue to try to stick with the 300 yard limit for my first shot.

I have a range finder and reticles that will get me to 500 yards but I don't like doing that on live elk or deer except under rare circumstances. The canyon country we usually hunt simply has too much wind for my taste.

Coyotes are excepted of course.

I did kill one deer at 465 yards [paced at 30 inch pace]. I didn't like the bullet performance and I haven't done it since.

I shot on base teams in the Marines and 500 meters is pretty familiar to me. So is wind. It is the real problem past 500 yards especially.

Our range has 100, 200, 300, 600, 800 and 1,000 yard ranges but I don't get to use them except the shorter ranges. Maybe I should make the time.

I do know where all my main rifles shoot to 300 yards for sure. And that is from positions, off my sticks and off my pack not just off a bench.

My '06's, a 35 Whelan and my 338 I know out to 400 yards. This is with two loads only per rifle. One is a practice load with a Core-Lokt or Hornady and a second load with a premium bullet/factory premium load.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One thing for sure, however far you know your rifles are sighted in for, thats your max distance without question as you have no business, IMHO, guessing a non fired trajectory.

Elevation is or never should be an issue. Wind can be but with a speed meter and experience, wind at 500 M or 600 yards is a gimme, its so easy for me to drop that first round inside the x ring somewhere with a meter and some known data.....but in the field it can be a bit trickier.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't know, but I've probably already taken it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have no problem with a 1K shot as that is the range that I fire over 2K rounds a year at. That is counting the competitions as well but that being said people who do not practice at that range and don�t know how to judge the wind need to either practice and become proficient or reign in their shot. Reading the drop chart off of your ballistics program ain�t gonna cut it.

The shorter the shot better helps to ensure that all of the variables in the field have less time to impact your bullet as it flies through the air----including for example a less than perfect rest, breathing etc.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I see all the variables being addressed in this topic except for the random motion of the animal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"Re: Your personal, perfect-conditions maximum range on game"

Off hand 300 yards. From a bench stable rest at least 600 yards.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
toltecgriz,

I see all the variables being addressed in this topic except for the random motion of the animal.

Most undisturbed animals do not play "random motion".

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guess we've watched different critters.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
"Most" doesn't answer the question, plus unless bedded, that's not really true. That's why it's called random.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Random can also happen at any distance, if you read the animal, you'll do the best you can, if you aren't reading the animal at any distance you need to rethink your methods.

One can screw up as easy short as they can long. Though a lot of long shots can be at bedded game, and its a fairly sure thing there.

Jeff

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know a critter can cover a bunch more before the bullet hits at 813 yards vice 32 yards. Enough to make a good shot bad at 813.

I can't read women, sure as hell can't read an animal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

One can screw up as easy short as they can long.

Jeff

Dunno if I can concur on that one Jeff. Margin for error diminishes drastically when distance is increased, hence, most prefer 300 and under - self included. I like my chances better at 100 yards than anyone on the planet's chances at 600. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can agree that one can screw up as easy short as long. Other factors come into play outside the 'one' long that don't factor, or factor very little, short.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Easy for YOU to say!

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Random can also happen at any distance, if you read the animal, you'll do the best you can, if you aren't reading the animal at any distance you need to rethink your methods.

One can screw up as easy short as they can long. Though a lot of long shots can be at bedded game, and its a fairly sure thing there.

Jeff

Jeff

I have to take advantage of this rare opportunity to disagree with you. Aside from what I've said already, as well as Steely, just to be clear, the bullet is in the air longer for longer ranges, hence greater "random" movement is possible, if there is any movement. Not saying ths shot can't be made, but it is riskier.

I'm resolute on this point. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
folks like their chances at 100 more than anyones at 600... I dunno, can't ever recall missing at 600... heck with irons in a match I don't ever recall missing center by more than about 10 inches or so generally,and thats when the wind changes while I'm looking at my irons, not with a scope...

Anyway Id' take most true LR shooters chances at 600 over the average mart mart joes at 100.

TOF is an issue, and sure the odds are higher, but I'm still saying they can move up close just as easy, but the error may not be as much. Though I've had em duck my arrows TOTALLY at 20 yards.... thats pretty close... Yep its oranges to apples, but it always amazes me that folks can be ok with a 25 yard bow shot where the sound gets to the animal abouot 2-3 times faster than the arrow vs a bit longer shot with a rifle.

The best thing is all shots are controllable, IE take it or not, its your call. And that brings us full loop, if I'm 200% confident, its gonna go bang, regardless the distance. In the end though I'm 200% confindent there is nothing EVER thats 100% sure. Regardless of range.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-

I didn't say average mart Joes, I said "my chances".... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

1K and intending to expand

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
900 would be my max under ideal conditions

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Like I said, its not a can of worms but a pallet of worms on this thread, if anyone said Jeff O loves to stir it up, they are right...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
.25-06 115g Berger at 2900fps, BC .523
TOF-
100y- 0.107s
600y- 0.760s
1000y- 1.484s

-0.6 seconds(less than 1s) for a bullet to fly 500 yards doesn't effect "random" movement much in my opinion. 1.3s moreso, but still not much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And up close, even the tiniest little noise or a quick shift in the wind can spook them causing them to jump while you're taking the shot. Odds of this are reduced at longer ranges.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Like I said, its not a can of worms but a pallet of worms on this thread, if anyone said Jeff O loves to stir it up, they are right...

Lil' old ME? laugh

Well so far, so good. It's not degenerated and hopefully, it won't. Folks so far are staying more or less true to the topic, which is NOT the ethics of long range hunting.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AHhh what fun,
For me so far perfect conditions 425yds, with modern firearms 300 is cake. I am working on streching my perfect conditions moving up from my trusty .270 and 440yd rangefinder to my 300win mag and 1200yd range finder cant wait to have the time to see what I can do with it, On watermelons and paper to start with till I am comfortable.

I really love 300yds, seems to be where elk don't seem to smell or care if you are there and is easily sighted in for. Sighted in 3.5 inches high at 100yd I can aim square in the kill zone from 0 - 300 yds without any compensation.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
I believe in a good rest and accurate firearms loaded with the best long range load for the purpose. Having said this, I took a 15"+ antelope buck, eastern MT, with my XP-100R in 260AI. The distance was 364 paces, whatever that might equate to. My handload consisted of Lapua brass fireformed to 260AI, neck turned, 46.0 gr. of H4350 and topped with a moly coated 107gr. SMK just kissing the lands. My XP-100R is topped with a Burris 3-12 BPLX handgun scope equipped with a scope level. This XP will shoot .5 groups all day. I was fortunate to have a windless evening and the buck had not seen me at all. I was able to get into a a prone position and had lots of time to drop him with one shot to the lungs. Well, actually he walked about 5 steps before he dropped. Can't breath, can't go! Now, I will say this, I normally will be cautious of long shots whether with a rifle or pistol. The conditions have to be perfect before I will chance a long shot at best.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
folks like their chances at 100 more than anyones at 600... I dunno, can't ever recall missing at 600... heck with irons in a match I don't ever recall missing center by more than about 10 inches or so generally,and thats when the wind changes while I'm looking at my irons, not with a scope...

Anyway Id' take most true LR shooters chances at 600 over the average mart mart joes at 100.

TOF is an issue, and sure the odds are higher, but I'm still saying they can move up close just as easy, but the error may not be as much. Though I've had em duck my arrows TOTALLY at 20 yards.... thats pretty close... Yep its oranges to apples, but it always amazes me that folks can be ok with a 25 yard bow shot where the sound gets to the animal abouot 2-3 times faster than the arrow vs a bit longer shot with a rifle.

The best thing is all shots are controllable, IE take it or not, its your call. And that brings us full loop, if I'm 200% confident, its gonna go bang, regardless the distance. In the end though I'm 200% confindent there is nothing EVER thats 100% sure. Regardless of range.

Jeff

Jeff

My point was random movement is part of the equation, but no one listed it as a factor. I never said what limit, if any, it would put on a given situation. But 1/2 second can be a world of time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Toltegriz

I use quick reply... nothing ever directed specifically at someone....

Yep random movement is there... I relay a 75ish yard shot... 2 pigs crossing the road, my nephew ends up firing just before I did, and as a result, I had a total miss of where the pig WAS a micro secodn before, that could have been a bad shot (is that possible on a pig) but lucky was a miss.

random movement is always an issue. Odds are it bites you worse at long range due to common sense, but lets face it, a grazing relaxed animal isn't going to do much normally, and a bedded animal almost never can move enough to be an issue.

Bottom line, IMHO most average folks will get bit by a wind issue before a movement issue at longer ranges.

But the real line is if I feel confident its a green light, if I am doubtful its a red light.

Last game I let walk away was cow elk at under 50 yards, they were alert, I was having a hard time with a clear target identification.... but there was certainly a shot, but I choose not to. My bottom line(not trying to sound arrogant) but I try to do the very best so that if you hear me shoot, you don't even have to ask...
My buddy listened to me take a couple of mid range pokes I was convinced I could make this spring.... ends up I had overestimated the wind at about 350 yards and decided to quit shooting at the head and use the lungs... but his comment was, you never shoot 2 times. I heard the first shot but no impact and your head shots usually pop pretty loud, then 2nd shot... same.... then a long pause(while I'm digging for the right baggie in my backpack with more ammo... and wiping the blood off my knuckle-- Remmy ripped a hunk of meat loose from me having a bad hold on the gun... long story but I was making do with what I had for a rest etc...) and then a THIRD shot but a loud pop...
I digress.

I'm much more concerned with a 20 yard bow shot than I am a mid range rifle shot VS animal movement, after all the bow shot the animal can hear it coming..... to top it all off, and I still aim low cause almost every animal I've shot with a bow has moved before the arrow hit. Doesn't stop me from shooting though.

Jeff

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
everything right, wind non moving game, flat shot, ill take 600. my gun produced a 3" group at 500, opened up a little at 700 but still good enough to take an elk everyshot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You got a bench in the woods you aren't telling anyone about...got those elk trained to walk infront of the bench and pause at 700 yds? Insert head scratching icon here....

Perhaps one day I will understand what is sporting about shooting a game animal at nearly .5 miles, but most likely not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why exactly do people like you click on the forum titled, "Long Range Hunting?"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did we mention ethics or sporting... challenging yes. Of course I personally don't see whats sporting about using a firearm on an animal at ALL... its all too easy, and gives them very little if any chance...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tightloop
You got a bench in the woods you aren't telling anyone about...got those elk trained to walk infront of the bench and pause at 700 yds? Insert head scratching icon here....

Perhaps one day I will understand what is sporting about shooting a game animal at nearly .5 miles, but most likely not.

A boxing match, a football, baseball, or basketball game is a sporting event.
When I hunt I am trying to kill an animal and then I am going to eat him, sporting has nothing to do with it, it is the same as killing a beef IMHO.
If it were a sporting event then Las Vegas would give odds on the outcome and taking bets but they don't. Niether is Professional Wrestling a sport and there is no odds or bets in Las Vegas on it either.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So tightloop tell us how you hunt, and under what kinds of conditions that are so sporting?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tightloop

Well I wasn�t going to say anything�.But since you brought it up� I got the whole heard trained. grin grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Joecool,

That is hilarious. Great pic.

----------
Hunting is my religion
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Joecool - great photos!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well heck training those elk was fairly simple�these guys on the other hand have proven to be most difficult�. I�m still looking for a ultra long range shot gun� grin wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by joecool544; 06/25/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep that's a classic photo jc

but tell me do you do the sporting thang and ring the gong first to let them know of incoming?

and if so does it just make them deaf and then you can pick them off at your leisure?

I've not done enough turret work, so for me, 350 yards is my max self imposed limit, and then it'd better be conditions perfect.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heard tell of shotguns and shot that will take Geese down at over 100 yards....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jimincolo
300 yards with a good scoped rifle; 400 yards if I have a range finder.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I once killed one gaminal (a pronghorn) at @400 yards or slightly less with a friend's .270W and ammo he reloaded - that I had complete faith in until I learned the ammo was made with a Lee Loader where powder charges were scooped unsterad of weighed.

When selecting a rifle-scope-cartridge-and "load," I always select something that will do a good job to 300yds, and add 100yds for a "buffer."

It's called "hunting," not slob's "shooting."

When I started hunting almost 40 years ago, I read, or heard or was told many times that 90% of my shots would be under 250yds. This has indeed proven true, along with ALL biggame I've witnessed others kill as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't do turrets, so with a normal hunting reticle I would go about 400 yards using a hold over of 18" to 20". From the targets I have shot at that range on a still day I would be OK, with a slight breeze a 10 shot target pattern grows horizontally about 8" wide.
With a Leupy B&C reticle with the 450 yard dot and 500 yard cross hair I would go that far, but not 600. Also if the breeze was fairly steady, the B&C windage lengths of their graduated cross hairs would be helpful.
If the breezes are gusting, I would only go about 350 yards.

The reason I wouldn't go to 600 even in perfect conditions is I don't have anything that will hold a tight enough group at that distance.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stubble, might I remind you, you are in the long range forum... 300-400 yards is not long range... don't come over tossing rocks... please.... just ignore it if you don't agree with it...don't be a Zumbo

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jeff,

It always dumbfounds me how these guys will limit themselves,
good guys, but they limit themselves. It's all in their head.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heck you and I can heckle each other and still get along....others amaze me.

Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You heckling me just pushes me to do better, Oh yeah!

grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When am I gonna talk you into a better backpack like Eberlestock... grins....

Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey, I just got back from Sportsmans and I think I found a
Eberlestock I like.

Surprise!

The GS05 or the GS05MU.

2,900 ci and fits nice on the hips to the top of my spine.
I think this would make a nice day or weekend pack.

http://www.eberlestock.com/GS05%20Gunslinger.htm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With my beanfield rifle I don't hesitate to do 600 yards and if I can get to a solid rest I am good for 800 and if it was truly perfect (no wind) 1000 yards. I regularly shoot crop damage deer out to 300 yards with leveraction 45-70 and .450 marlin rifles. The key to any long game shots id practice. The following video if you have high-speed internet has a short tutorial at the end after it shows me taking a few long levergun shots that shows a easy method to learn long shots and can be applied to any cartridge and rifle. reflex264

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3433415096555745370&hl=en

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wished I could watch that, but the quality of the video is flat horrible.

300 yards isn't hard at all with a 45-70 type round. Just know the drop and drop it in. It can be done all day with iron sights. As you well know. Most folks won't believe it though.

And then I talk to MZ hunters that are limited to irons... and they ask where I sight in my iron 54mz. I have it set so I can easily shoot elk from 100 out to 200... and most folks you talk to MIGHT be ok at 75..... I can stretch it beyond that but prefer not to with 535 grains of lead.

Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep the video got sorta scrambled. We didn't know the camera was acting up until all the footage was shot. By the time it got copied and uploaded it lost even more clarity. Still gets the point accross. The last part where the practice instruction is is fairly clear. A professionaly shot video is in the works that will show my .264 on some 600+ yard shots and some 200 yard revolver shots. reflex264

[Linked Image]

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
reflex264, I enjoyed the video (quality aside, which was pretty bad!) and you are a great shot with that 45/70.

I just have to say this. Please don't take it wrong. I'm not calling you out. Just this- if you are going to shoot video's like that, keep your finger off the trigger! That finger was in that trigger guard an awful lot when you were nowhere near shooting.

Again, not casting stones- just a suggestion. Others will say it much less politely than I just did, once your video's start to circulate <g>!

Thanks for the link, I really did enjoy it.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am one of the few people that actualy use the cross bolt safety. It has a place. Actualy I don't normaly keep my finger in the gaurd as much as it looks like. I noticed it as well when we were trying to edit the garbled tape. Its hard to hear but you can hear the click of the safety being diengaged on a couple of the shots. reflex264

[Linked Image]

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not casting stones, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. I have to constantly remind myself not to get too casual when shooting (alone, in the hills) from a bench.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Naw, didn't think you were. Actualy witnessed a gent stick his finger in the trigger gaurd on a 700 .223 to get leverage to close the bolt with his thumb!! Fortunately the bullet hit the ground right next to his truck. I was just fixin to yell when it went off. reflex264

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When ya get the new one done,let us know. My eyes just can't handle that one, sorry.

As to safetys.... a safety is a mechanical device which can/will fail. Only safety on a gun is you. No negative intended, just a comment as a hunter ed teacher, I dislike folks that rely on safety. Muzzle control and finger control are the real safeties in life.

Jeff

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Running my triggers pretty light keeps me honest that way <G>. Especially the Jewell on my Sendero which is sub-pound.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Perfect confitions??? While hunting??? Good luck....handy bench??? Or perfect log at just the right place & angle? No such thing...Any rifle with a 300 yd mid range trajectory of 10" or so should be good to go at 300...even with iron sights...I'll admit here & now though that when I was 11 years old, I had an opportunity to take a shot at a 4x4 that was running downhill at about 200 yds....I never loosed a round because I didn't have the skills to do it(25-35)....today??? I'd have a nice trophy & some good meat....ya gotta know your limitations....oh yeah...I guess I should mention I was shooting 100 yd. smallbore competition at the time....45+ years ago....I still have dreams about that buck even though I killed a much larger one a couple years after that incident & quite a few since...but that one buck still haunts me...Edit to add...I'll bet "E" has stepped over that ground...You listening E??? How about above Hay's flat at about the top of the hill where you can look down at Silver lake on Hwy 88??? I'm planning on trying to find my way back up there this year after a 45 year absence...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/18/08.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I�m new here so I will go ahead and make some enemies. The question about how far you could shoot under perfect conditions is a wrong question to ask. With today�s optics, laser range finders, bullet and rifle performance, it can make anyone that has watched the movie �Sniper� one to many times a long range shooting pro, so they think. There is too many video�s, products and custom gun manufactures promoting long range hunting as an ethical means of harvest. This on itself has created its own industry catering to what I call the �Sniper Wana Be Syndrome�. I have spent my whole adult life training and shooting long range. I have to, because I took an oath, and it�s my job, and mine and others lives depend on my ability. I can tell you that who ever says shooting sub MOA at the range at paper targets makes them a qualified long range shooter needs to take a reality check. It�s not the same as looking thru your tube at a moving breathing creature. The act of ethically harvesting a game animal should be the responsibility of every hunter that goes into the field. This means �in my opinion�, do the best of my ability to get as close to the target as I can, and waiting for the perfect shot. If it doesn�t come�.so be it, that�s a part of hunting that I accept. The real long range hunting question should be not if I can make the shot, but should I even try. Every time a wounded animal shows up on the news during hunting season from a bad shot, just gives the anti�s fuel for the fire. This is something to think about.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We appreciate your service!!

We also ask that you read a bit before assuming things. You are not the only one that flings long rounds. A lot of us here do and if you'll read, you'll note its conditions that control the issue. Sniper was the dumbest movie I've ever seen....

That being sadi yes, there are good shots out there that are capable, the main thing is we always call the shot via conditions, IE am I 200% sure I can make it? If so its a go at that distance. If not we walk away. Whether its 50 yards or 1000. Adn I've walked away from both distances.

No one said shooting paper makes you good to go for game. But no one said that its not possible to practice for game. You should note here that bench shooting at paper is only for testing things, the true folks practice from field positions and shoot a LOT. So they are ethical.

You shoot a lot in the course of a year. There are those of us that also ding down probably not as many rounds, but I know a lot of us have shot 10K plus rounds each year, add in dry fire, add in 22s shot, add in coaching long range shooting teams and you get the point.

It can be done, and I dont' think any of us ever said it was easy. We did say if you aren't into long range shooting there is no need or reason to be in this particular forum posting though.

The antis will have more fuel from the wally world weekend warrior with their boresighted rifles flinging a mag of ammo at under 100 yards and wounding, than you'll ever see from trained responsible shooters that hang out here.

Regards, stay safe!!!

Jeff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
badcompanyguide,
welcome to the campfire. While reading your post, I found nothing to disagree with but I did not find your opinion of the longest range you will take a shot under perfect condiditons?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Your right, I went off on a rant and didn�t even give my perfect long shot. Well my farthest Game animal was on a Nevada antelope hunt by Sheldon NWR, north of Reno, open ground 475 yards. Even at that comparative short distance ground effects (heat wave, thermal effect) can fool you and your optics. It can distort your view enough to either hold to high or too low using a basic mil dot. I have had to deal with this a lot in the sand box. I apologize if I have upset a few of you. I just get more satisfaction as a hunter to outsmart the game and get in as close as I can without it knowing I�m there, rather than reaching out and touch it from 1000 plus. But to answer the question�..400 on deer size game, and 200 on large game (elk, bear). Too much can go wrong on the big stuff, for long shots.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya didn't pizz us of that much...

See if you felt that the mirage was an issue, and it can be a REAL issue, good shooters know all of that, I've been aware of that since the 80s...., then the 475 yard shot should have been a no go.

My longest to date is 802. Conditions were perfect. Very slight mirage, and not enough movement to worry about wind... both hits within 6 inches of each other IIRC. Been a lot of days I've walked away from much shorter shots.

As to the comments on getting closer... yeah I do and a lot of us do, but prefer to be prepared.

To preach that only this rifle, or that max distance or this bow or that MZ is sporting/ethical is BS. I've killed so many animals up close with a bow that the longer shots are more challenging than wacking something that doesnt' even have a chance up close, but thats just the stage of life I'm at.

I will argue with your common sense of taking a longer shot at a smaller target and a shorter shot at a larger target though... Put a hole in something vital and 99% of the time its dead. If the target is bigger, it extends your effective range.

I am not making a deal of you wanting a close shot. I am making a deal of preaching it on something titled long range hunting... Its kinda like going to an archery forum and telling em bows suck..

Respectfully submitted, Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To preach that only this rifle, or that max distance or this bow or that MZ is sporting/ethical is BS. I've killed so many animals up close with a bow that the longer shots are more challenging than wacking something that doesnt' even have a chance up close, but thats just the stage of life I'm at.

You seem to say that longer range gives the animal some chance? Chance at what?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chance?? Walking away before you get setup, gauge distance, wind and make the decision... And they always have the chance of me deciding no. A long shot is never guaranteed to be there once you decide to shoot, unless you just flop down, don't give a damn and start flinging... FWIW every longer shot I've taken has taken me personally at least 10 minutes or more to set up and get ready.

Once an animal is in my short range area, it has no chance. None at all unless there is a misfire.

Course thats just me.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
"Perfect conditions" means many things, but to me it most certainly includes TIME to set up the shot. If nothing else I probably need that time to get past the shakes <g>.

I am really appreciative of the fact that this thread has stayed civil. My hat is off to everyone who has so far participated. A civil debate is a great thing.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
wink

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Rost495, The main reason on the 200 yard for larger game, because were I hunted you could not see farther than 200 yards. One of the other reasons is that all the guided hunts I went on. The guide would put a limit to shooting distance of under 200. Especially in Alaska were I was stationed for a few years. You couldn�t see 2 yards in front of you in some of the stuff. I love to shot long range. It is the complete test of an individuals shooting ability to see what his limit is. I just really get upset with the ones that haven�t put the time in to master this art. Like said earlier, �The Wal Mart Rambo� can really cause true hunters to suffer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Totally understood now on the range limit issues. The keyboard doesn't always explain really well(ya know it types what we type, but doesn't convey what we are thinking too!)

Never been on a guided hunt so have no clue there. But I have guided and quit since the ranch would not limit shots or shooters talents. IE we had a field where you could shoot a whopping 300 yards out of a solid large blind. We made the folks test shoot the guns before hunting at least.. lets just say the field was were we found wounded deer, I often went back a few days after a hunt to a knoll about 550 yards out, and would finish the wounded ones from there....

Where were you at, in AK?

Jeff

R
rbw Offline
R
As a kid, I was big on the long range comps with the 308. I was quite confident shooting out to 1400 metres. Kept up with my shooting in the infantry.

No way in hell I would try that silliness on a hunt!

My longest intentional shot was out about 450 metres, but I was prone with a bipod and no wind. I made a fluky shot once, nearing the 600 metre mark, on my buddy's gutshot doe. Poor thing was hit hard but hauling ass over a hillside. My idiot buddy was rattled after missing his follow-up shots.

With only those two exceptions, most of my hunting shots have been within 200 metres. A couple in the 300 metre range, but I would never take these shots in a strong wind or heavy brush.

Too many idiots out there getting careless, pushing the limits of their loads and capabilities.

I watched a video on long range hunting once. Although I was initially impressed, the only thing I could think was, "What if the first shot was only a crippling hit? Much too far for a clean follow-up shot on a hobbling animal." Then I thought, "How many bad hits were experienced by these clowns, that were excluded from the video?"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man.... 300 metres even in a headstrong wind is a chip shot given a solid enough rest that the conditions dont' physically push the gun or shooter around....

But i am really glad folks put limits on themselves.

Jeff

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The one huge benefit (for me) of shooting at 600 yards and beyond a bunch this last year... is that 300 yards is indeed in the realm of "chip shot" these days.

600 yards... not so much <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
300 used to be a long dream for me.... shooting enough 600 to 1000 it became that 200 and 300 wasnt' an issue at all, even in winds, we'd just use a speed meter... cross a chart for the angle/speed, and click it in. Using the humble 223 and measly 69s (IE any game cartridge is much better in the wind...) I dont' recall ever missing windage by much more than 3-4 inches.... thats not enough to sweat..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Since this is a question just begging for a real answer that people can throw darts at, I'll go first.

600 yards.

This post is well past a month old, Jeff_o is the MASTER of starting a post that means less than nothing and just keep's it rollin'.
The question is so vague that any one that really knows something will shy away because the ignorant will pile-on
my bad sorry for posting just trying to help some innocent victims from getting sucked in.
B

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
boatanchor,

We've had a nice thread here. No "victims". Some good discussion.

Thanks for your wonderful contribution; ironically, given your warning to the poor "innocent victims" out there, I think yours is the WORST post on this thread and one of the few posts with any malice to it.

I suggest you read the thread. Or go away.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some get along with Jeff, some don't.... I do agree on the read or not read thing.... folks got an ignore button too..... I don't agree with everything Jeff says, but he sure does come up with some questions.

Jeff

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
He sure does! grin He learns a lot from the good folk of the Campfire by asking these questions, too. And is very thankful for their help and willingness to share what they know.

Anyways "boatanchor" can think whatever he wants about me; that's his perogative. From the tone of his post nothing I could say or do, other than go away forever, would make him happy anyway.

But this has been a darn decent thread, especially given the subject at hand, and I won't let him cast aspersions on it.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went out and did some shooting with Jamie and Horsefly80 yesterday... I can say about 1/2 mile is well within reasonable rifle range... for ME. And, conditions were less than "perfect"... with winds in the 5-10 mph range (and swirling).

Also, big guns (7 Mag + ), and high BC bullets are pretty much mandatory when taking long range pokes at critters... the 3oo RUM (all 3 of them) had very little issues on targets out to 1ooo yards... and one rock (about 12") got abused over and over again (untill Jamie decided to break it) at 875 yards.

As far as the 'ethics' argument goes... that seems far to personal and arbitrary to even try and debate. I've said before: Hunting Ethics is an animal with a hole through the lungs (or CNS if that's what you prefer)... doesn't mean a hill of beans how that hole got there... an arrow from 4 yards or a 300 grain SMK from a mile... as long as the critter is dead post haste... that's an "ethical hunter" taking an "ethical shot".

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well put!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rbw,

You told us somethings, but...

What is your personal perfect-conditions maximum range on game?

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was alot of fun. I'll be back up ther Saterday AM looking for bears, later in the day I'll shoot some rocks. I've got to get those 208gr. A-max's loaded and give them a try on some distant rocks.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jamie, you'll be able to relate to what a tradegy this is: my camcorder broke! Aahgh! I'm screwed <g>.

In all seriousness it's messing me up with my LR practicing.

I'm heading out Friday for bears. Not really looking for any kind of long range opportunity; that seems a little... stupid with a bear? I don't know, just how it seems to me. I'll drill one out to 350, 400 though. Just not out at the edges of my ability. Tracking a wounded deer in the brush would be bad enough, much less a wounded bear!

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Heres a clip from Sunday, I'm not sure if DDP or Horesfly80 is the shooter but I can tell from how fast the bullet hits the steel at 900+ yards its from a 300RUM.
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/elkhunter/th_longshot.jpg[/img][/img]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I dont shoot long range solo without the video camera anymore, a very useful tool in my shooting bag.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My personal long range for deer is about 200yds, but I prefer closer. Tracking down a wounded buck up on top or in a clearcut isn't my cup of tea..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
camcorders at sams are cheap....cheaper than the gas and bullets...

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good break and a little 'smith work is cheaper than a camcorder. I have the Defensive Edge break on my Sendero .300 RUM... and I saw every shot I fired on Sunday.

There was a time when I thought breaks were only for panzies... then I realized how much easier it is to spot your own hits with one installed. I hunt a lot by myself, so seeing impact in the glass is paramount. I know, I know... they're loud, this is true. But, I try to use hearing protection when shooting... even at game. Besides, when you're by yourself it shouldn't matter how much noise you make anyway.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Run a 29 or 30 inch barrel and the brakes are much quieter than when installed on 24 or 26 inch barrels in my experience.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only quieter to the shooter... eveyone else still gets the whammy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DDP
Only quieter to the shooter... eveyone else still gets the whammy.

Only if everyone else is in front of the shooter.
Acctauly the longer the barrel the lower the pressure on exit the lower the noise.

Last edited by jwp475; 07/30/08.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno, I got a brake on a big rifle, with a long tube, its DAMN loud behind and to the sides of the shooter... 36 inch tube IIRC..

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine seems loudest to the side and slightly behind the shooter... but that's where an effective break is usually designed to throw all the gas.

Last edited by DDP; 07/30/08.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I dunno, I got a brake on a big rifle, with a long tube, its DAMN loud behind and to the sides of the shooter... 36 inch tube IIRC..

Try it without the brake, it'll still be loud. It is certainly quieter than it would be if the barrel were only 26". I never said nor implied that a longer barrel would be like shooting with a suppressor

Last edited by jwp475; 07/30/08.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I'm just rattling ya...I suspect a can on my 50 would have to be pretty big...

As for breaks being cheaper than a camcorder... 200 bucks buys a decent camcorder.... a good break is close to 200 bucks and then there is installation. But I'm comparing an expensive break to a cheap camera.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point... but it's awful tough to set up the camera, get the critter in the view finder, start recording... then set up for the shot... oops, deer moved... start all over.

Shooting steel (or rocks... my personal favorite) is one thing... spotting your own shots on game is a different story. Spotting my own hits and misses was the main reason I went to a big break, and a non-radial one at that... not knocking myself silly when touching off 100 grains of powder and a 240 grain bullet is just an added bonus.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always been anti-brake; I made my living with ears for many years and didn't want a louder rifle in the field.

HOWEVER, my Sendero is primarly a long-range screwaround rig, and you've got me thinking evil thoughts, DDP! How much does a decent brake cost? What would you guys recommend for a 26" 300 Win Mag?

Being able to see my misses is really crucial as I typically shoot alone. The camcorder works (thanks Jamie!) but it's a cumbersome solution.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with the Defensive Edge break made by Shawn Carlock in Idaho ( www.defensiveedge.net ). I put the .875" 3-Port on my Sendero, it fits well and the recoil reduction is amazing (although I didn't shoot the .300 RUM before the break). I went with the baffle style break rather than the radial style because I shoot prone a lot so I don't want junk flying around when the gun goes off. I've read that the baffle style is a bit more effective at reducing recoil, but I shot Jamie's .300 RUM with a radial break and it wasn't bad at all... probably more a matter of preference than anything. I believe the break was around $75 + a little shipping. I had a local gunsmith (that I trust) install the break for another $75. Every shot I've taken under field conditions I've seen the impact... some I've even seen the vapor trail while the bullet was enrout.

Business end of the Break:
[Linked Image]

I hear you on the ears thing... but how often do you shoot without hearing protection? If you're anything like me, the answer is never... even in the field I'm pretty picky about it. It only takes a second to stuff some plugs in... but you can permenantly damage your hearing just as quickly.

Last edited by DDP; 07/30/08.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I never use hearing protection in the field. I very clearly remember being stunned by the sound of my 30-06 when I killed my first deer- it was only 8 or 9 years ago- since I'd never uncorked a high-powered rifle w/o protection. WOW!

I use muffs and puffs at all other times...

I'll look into a brake. Makes all kinda sense for my Sendero at least.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
there are very few times I'll shoot without plugs... IE a surprise shot. Thats it.

As to watching the hits, thats always good.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yep, plugs are the way to go in the field.

I also went with the Defensive Edge Brake, Defensive Edge even built my rilfe

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You boys with the brakes were joined by my son-in-law, recently.

One day at the range I shot my .375-.416 Rem thirty times. I shot 270 grainers at 3,000 feet per second.

He shot his 7 Mag thirty times, also. He was shooting 140s at 3,200 feet per second. After the shooting sesion I noticed he had a bruse about 3" diameter and a blood blister about 1/2" diameter in the center of that. I showed him my shoulder. There was not even the slightest redness. He exclaimed, "I want you to make one of those brakes for me. They work!"

Now he shoots all he wants with no abuse. And he sees his hits.

Everyday Hunter
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That stock must not fit him! I can shoot heavier calibers than that all afternoon with no bruising or blisters. Yikes!

Not taking anything away from your brakes- just saying that that's a lot of damage from a 7-mag.

So, Ringman, you make your own brakes? That's pretty cool.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jeff, you would shoot better groups with a brake I can guarantee you that.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I hadn't really considered it before, but for my Sendero it could be perfecto!

... of course, then the question is if I want to put, what, $75 worth of gunsmithing into this factory barrel. I THINK I do... seems to shoot... still kind of reserving judgement due to the early chamber problems tho...

This is a dumb question but... if I buy a brake, a good one, it can be installed on my next barrel too of course... right?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 07/31/08.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes, if it is threaded on and your new barrel is the same contour or close...

Last edited by jwp475; 07/31/08.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anything that lessens recoil means your body is not as particular in recoil, all that adds to accuracy...
In Highpower matches brakes are illegal... I watch folks shoot 300 mags and 240s at 1000 yards.. It takes SO much concentration as your body has to accept the recoil EXACTLY the same way perfectly each time.... If the gun recoils off target left or right, even though it as a perfect shot, squeeze etc... that impact will be left or right per the recoil direction...

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never was much bothered by recoil, I use brakes on my LR rifles for 1 reason
thats so I can see the impact of the bullet, I shoot a 7mm Allen Mag alot, I can see the impacts on a deer (or a miss) through a 20X scope at 800 yards and more.
the 7mm AM sends a 160 gr downrange at up to 3700 fps, but with a brake the deer never leaves the x-hairs when shooting
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

600 yards.

WIMPY: "What's you shoe size Madam?"
OLIVE OYL: "Size 7 but a size 18 feels sooo good!"

Soooo...
ME: "Why 600 yards of course but 250 feels soooo good!" laugh laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, shooitng long makes 250 such a gimme, you dont' even think about it and teh game is dead.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, you and others pointed that out when I embarked on my long-range journey, and it is indeed the biggest, most significant bonus of the whole thing!

I really, really hope I don't find myself looking at a 600-yard shot. But as you say, out to some distance shorter than that, it's now pretty trivial.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
See my sig line, I'll really just about let them walk into the muzzle if possible and I pray for chip shots. But the LR work makes chip shots longer for me than most.

Example in point, I don't blink twice at 100 yards irons with a MZ. And I'm zero'd where I can easily hit an elk good at 200 if need be. Most folks are less than that and don't even think about 200. Add a scope and a different MZ my range is an easy 300 yards.

Its much like bow.... I zero in up close when its close to season, other than that I tend to try to shoot 50 yards mostly. Not that I'd try a shot past 15 yards here, as our deer duck too bad at the shot, but practice at 50 makes 15 doable in your sleep.

Keep it up. Odds are its gonna be hard to find a must be 600 yard shot unless you are looking specifically for it. But as the sig line says, sure don't hurt to be prepared just in case.

Jeff

C
C
300 yd with a scope and flat shooting rifle.

Last edited by CalFred; 08/02/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been shooting out to 1K alot over the past year. Like has been mentioned, anything from 600 and in is just about a gimme in decent (read consistent) wind conditions for me.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to get as close as I can, but I'm comfortable shooting game out to 500 yards if I have to.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,
This is a dumb question but... if I buy a brake, a good one, it can be installed on my next barrel too of course... right?

That is correct. The 'smith just matches the threads. Simple.

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.