Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've done all of the above for years. Frankly, when I'm traveling, not hunting, I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer only if I need both hands free. I might be using trekking poles, or I might be doing some standing glassing, etc.
I've done lots of quick shooting with a rifle sling. If you carry it upside down, muzzle down, it comes up and gets on target just as fast as the Woodsman Carry, i.e. cradled in the weak arm.
A properly adjusted shooting sling will cut your group size at least 30%. That's why all of my hunting rifles have sling swivels and a sling setup for each of them.
While the military style shooting sling tends to be slow and can cause some fumbling, the CW setup reduces speed not one bit. That's why all of my big game rifles have them.
I find it very advantageous to use a sling, african style, muzzle down, while tracking or still hunting. That allows me to use my binoculars to look through cover and, hopefully spot him before he sees me. If I can do that, I get to shoot him in his bed or as he gets up casually for a look around. Not when he suddenly breaks cover and gives me just a few seconds to shoot. The toughest shooting I do is on game that takes me by surprise and gives me seconds to shoot. I'd much rather see him first and be able to take my time, or at least be fore warned. E

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don�t like shooting game while they sleep either so I wake them up first. LOL
Seriously ditto on the carry method. Good advise.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does somebody remember the name of that famous WH who accidentally killed his long time and much appreciated tracker, while progressing with his rifle on the right shoulder in "traditional African carry" ?

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been carrying by this method since I had my older brother's oversized BB gun at age 5, and have never stopped, but I am damned careful about muzzle direction. I just find if to be more comfy than a strap digging into your shoulder, and if I grab by the muzzle, I find it super-easy to carry and keep the muzzle in a safe direction, and have ever had any issue with safety.

By contrast, I have seen a non-friend that I had the bad fortune to be hunting with "Barney-Fife-it" taking a gun off his shoulder that was carried via the sling. Glad I was some distance away and the gun was not facing me when he did that.

I guess you can be safe or unsafe, depending on you the individual

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everybody is different i guess. I do the african carry thing quite a bit but I dont point the gun at anyone. I change up the carry method all the time. I also use a carry sling often, rifle upside down and muzzle up on my left side (right handed). My left hand stays on the rifle. Very comfortable. Very quick to get on target.

FWIW Ive seen many folks doing the weak hand cradle carry and point the rifle at their partner also. That doesnt make the method of carry wrong, just the hunter.

Sean
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deersmeller
Does somebody remember the name of that famous WH who accidentally killed his long time and much appreciated tracker, while progressing with his rifle on the right shoulder in "traditional African carry" ?

I'll refrain from giving the name of the one I know of, since he's still active in the industry.
SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
FWIW Ive seen many folks doing the weak hand cradle carry and point the rifle at their partner also. That doesnt make the method of carry wrong, just the hunter.

Yep, and if I'm hunting with someone I won't carry it that way.

Of course we all know that I never have a round chambered, which doesn't remove the need for muzzle control.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by SeanD

Damned if I didn't turn on the TV over the weekend and watch The Shootist, which is John Wayne's best movie as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen this movie a bunch of times but this was the first time I noticed Wayne, carrying his Winchester in his weak hand, point the muzzle seemingly right at Ron Howard's chest, while he's asking "young Gillum" to take his horse down to the livery. And even if the camera angle is slightly misleading, it had to be close enough to dammit.

Thought the Duke would have known better.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been watching a whole host of new hunting related TV shows on Direc TV's ch 611, and I have seen several that regularly point guns at the camera!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's natural to carry heavy tools on the shoulder, like picks, shovels, belt-fed machine guns. It provides some variation when carrying a break action shotgun open and unloaded, especially one with 30 inch barrels.

When I carry a rifle or shotgun on the shoulder loaded, it is muzzle up, with my hand on the grip. If anyone else's muzzle even comes close to pointing at me, I don't hesitate to push it away with my hand.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
"Wow! A lot to do about nothing, the arrogance is outstanding at any rate"..."How one carrys a gun is his business as long as its safe"..."A sling is an abomination of the city dweller."

What a concoction of contradiction and ignorance.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Safety applies to shotguns too. I've gotten tired of looking at pictures of skeet and trap shooting champions because of the resting of the muzzle on their foot. And then to see the leather "flap" that is sold that lets you rest your muzzle on your toe.

Stupid is as stupid does I think is the saying.

D

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I truly hope to hunt pheasants/quail, etc with the cold carry guys!! Especially if they hunt with an over/under!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Lee24
If anyone else's muzzle even comes close to pointing at me, I don't hesitate to push it away with my hand.

Likewise here. I've also had three instances where I've taken one away from somebody on repeat offence.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Throughout this whole thread, some of you good folks are TFF......and you probably don't know which ones you are.

But thanks for the show. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sorry Big Redhead, didn't mean to touch a nerve, just thought it was time for a little humor!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SU35
Notice how when an animal is down and it's time to pose for pics they squat 3 feet behind the animal and have the muzzle pointing at hunters head?

I've never been to Africa or been around anyone carrying "African style" so I can't comment there but the big game pics with the rifle pointed at the hunter/guide freak me out every time. Every once in awhile, somebody will remember to at least leave the bolt open but it's still a silly/stupid way to pose for a pic!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
Sorry Big Redhead, didn't mean to touch a nerve, just thought it was time for a little humor!

Likewise. I should learn to KMBMS.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I returned from South Africa about 3 weeks ago & hunted a number of concessions with my PH & trackers. On more than one occasion the truck(s) raced to get ahead of game being pushed by trackers & either myself or another hunter would hop out & stalk toward on coming game. Rifles were loaded so a quick shot could be had on the way to the next drop off point. I felt very uncomfortable with safety & expressed my concerns to the PH, who is a personal friend. I have hunted with him before & this tactic was not used. I shot my animals in a traditional manner mostly with an assistant PH. I always stalk with my rifle at the ready with out a round in the chamber. I have never had a problem chambering a round as the shooting sticks are set up.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by peepsight3006
My slings, with the Uncle Mike's QD swivels, are kept in my day bag until the actual hunting is over. Click-click and I'm ready for the trek back to camp or to free my hands for carrying a cape or rack or whatever.

Wayne

Just an aside; Uncle Mike's swivels are now made in China out of old pots and pans. If you want high quality and tough swivels, look here:

GrovTec

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 17 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.