Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've heard and/read that the best oils for treating trophy headgear(or elephant ivory) is as follows:

Antlers - Linseed Oil
Ivory - Mineral Oil
Horns - Clear shoe polish.

Supposedly this will prevent cracking and flaking.

What do you guys use?

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scotts Liquid Gold is what my taxidermist suggested. No ivory here though.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You might try Renaissance Wax. It is supposedly used by museums on just about anything. The label does list Ivory specifically. Gene Ingram recommends it also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Linseed oil will oxidize and exhibit a build up over time. Regardless of selection, do not get too heavy handed. Antlers have the same composition as ivory, so I'd be inclined to go with the museum suggestions. They are some of the few that may retain things for geologic time. 1Minute

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
On horns & antler's I use Van Dyke's wax #01352404. Works well with toothbrush on horns that are rough & a cloth on antlers. My taxidermist uses Derma Grip #304, also from Van Dyke's, to touch up noses & hoofs. I have my taxidermist in once a year to do touch ups & check for diseases in my mounts. Van Dyke's is owned by Cabelas.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have some antlers from the 1950's and they look the same. I have heard we should keep direct sunlight off of them, but do we really need to do anything else to antlers that are kept indoors?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My cousin has the mounted head of an elk that was killed on our place in 1875. The head and cape were replaced but the horns are perfect. I asked him what he used to keep them looking so good. He said his wife has used Lemon Pledge on them a few times. I wouldn't recommend it but...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not to highjack the thread but what do you guys suggest to give back the natural colours to antlers that were left outside and bleached by the sun? I got a moose rack that I left outside so the bugs could clean the skull but I kinda forgot about it for a while!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Not to highjack the thread but what do you guys suggest to give back the natural colours to antlers that were left outside and bleached by the sun? I got a moose rack that I left outside so the bugs could clean the skull but I kinda forgot about it for a while!

A taxidermist friend brews up some strong coffee and uses that! I've seen it work too -- I watched as he rejuvenated some really white/light gray moose antlers by swabbing on this coffee concentrate.

He says he prefers this to wood stain because if it stains too dark, he can lighten it somewhat by rubbing with wet rags.

John

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks everyone.

I've learned a lot.

I never thought of having a taxidermist come in once a year,
to check for bugs and such. Make sense when you think of how
many thousands of dollars you've invested in these trophies.

I live just a mile or so from Jonas Bros (the one in Colorado) and I get most of my mounts done there. I also know they do a lot of work for Cabela's, so I think I'll stop by there and see if they have any Van Dykes or products they recommend.

Good hunting, all.

buffhunter

Last edited by buffhunter; 06/28/08.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe that bugs prefer the tight, dark, places, one of which is the rear of the mount against the wall. I arrange to have a surface below, against the wall- a bookcase or a shelf, or even a small strip of wood with no other purpose, so that I can easily see fallen frass and take quick action.
Sign or no, when I go off on a hunting trip I leave behind my wife and instructions to bug-bomb the room that contains my mounts.

(I keep my antlers brown by being a smoker. Everything else turns a yellowish-brown, too, but I suppose that's a small price to pay. grin )

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.