-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Guys: I have a Duane Wiebe rifle I really love. At least I think it's a Wiebe ... that's what my friend, a very knowledgeable salesman with Cabela's back when that's all they employed in the Gun Library, told me when he sold it to me. Two questions. First, this gun looks much like every other Wiebe I've ever found a picture of, but unlike some, it has no visible Wiebe "signature" engraved on the barrel or elsewhere. How can I confirm? Secondly, I know Wiebe is a big name in custom sporters, and this gun justifies it, but just how big? Top ten of all time? Top ten alive? Not quite? Any thoughts will be appreciated. TT

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Take photos and send them to Duane, or post them over on Accurate Reloading Forum, he is a member there and posts often. He should be able to identify it through is records. A phone call would probably get you what you want too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oregon45 has some good advice. Duane's number is (253)535-0066.

Duane has had a varied career; he's built some of the finest firearms ever created and he's done plenty of general gunsmithing - and everything in between. I've run across a number of "Wiebe rifles" on the secondary market that turned out to be factory rifles refurbished by Wiebe, or Wiebe stocks only, or barreled by Wiebe, etc.

I'm not aware of any full-custom Wiebe rifles that were not marked with his name and a production number. This would be on the barrel or quarter rib. If he worked on the action, he will have marked the underside of the action with a DW inside an oval. If he built the stock, he will have marked it on the inside.

Some photos showing details (especially the ejection port, bottom metal tangs, and the cheekpiece) will reveal a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ForrestB,

Its good to see you posting here. I really wish it were more often. I have a picture that may be of some of your rifles by Wiebe. They are the finest looking customs that I have ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never tire of seeing the pictures of those rifles. They are beautiful.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
ForrestB,

Its good to see you posting here. I really wish it were more often. I have a picture that may be of some of your rifles by Wiebe. They are the finest looking customs that I have ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Sav 99,

A big AMEN to what you write.
I'd like seeing Forrest post here, as well as over on AR. He is a HIGH class guy, and would enhance 24 Hour as he does AR.
Besides, I'm in love with his rifles. grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have held one Wiebe in my life, years back.Beyond that I have only looked at pics, but a rifle by him is the only custom I really "lust" after. If there is anyone better, I don't know who it is.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, those are somthing FINE. What gorgeous rifles!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
OP Offline
T
Hey, guys. First off, let me say how much I'm enjoying 24hourcampfire and these forums. Until steered here recently for advice on my first Savage 99, I didn't know it existed. I've hung out at the Double Gun Journal site for many years (hence my "handle"), but am into more than just doubles, and so often ask "off topic" questions there that will probably fit better here. It looks like a lot of expertise and enthusiasm can be found here, just like on the DoubleGun BBS.

Regarding my custom Mauser, thanks for all the good advice. I've already pulled the stock and confirmed that it is indeed a Wiebe, although the metal work was almost certainly done by another very skilled craftsman who at this point remains a mystery. We may still get him identified. I've also spoken with Mr. Wiebe, who was very friendly and gracious. As Oregon45 and ForrestB also suggested, Duane would like to see some pictures, which may help him identify the metal guy. The stock was done in 1993, based on his stamped production number. Interestingly, he says that he has seldom, if ever, stamped a DW in an oval under the action (so I'm not sure of the real scoop there), but that he would definitely have marked the metal somewhere if he had done that work.

I will try to take and post some good pictures of the gun, both disassembled and reassembled, within the next few days. I hope you'll like it as much as I do. Thanks again! TT

T
OP Offline
T
Hey, guys: Finally got photos taken with an assist from my teenager. smile I've sent a bunch of detail shots to Duane to see if it helps him get a handle on who may have done the metal work. In the meantime, here's one shot of the whole rifle. It's a Peruvian Model 1909 rebarreled to 7mm Mauser, with a Timney trigger, Blackburn bottom metal and other nice stuff. Very accurate and a real pleasure to handle, as you might imagine. It's certainly my nicest rifle, and I'm proud to own it, whoever did the work. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if and when I learn more. TT

[Linked Image]

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful gun. The styling is timeless.

Terry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those are some beautiful rifles. I have never seen a Wiebe rifle before but will keep my eyes open for one in the future after seeing these.
Savage 99....where did you find the invisible front scope rings that are on both your rifles in the pics?...grins

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are not my rifles but I wish they were.

Here is my post from above.

"ForrestB,

Its good to see you posting here. I really wish it were more often. I have a picture that may be of some of your rifles by Wiebe. They are the finest looking customs that I have ever seen."

Savage99

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by draebi

Savage 99....where did you find the invisible front scope rings that are on both your rifles in the pics?...grins

The front ring is around the bell of the scope.It's a European claw mount setup.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow I guess that shows my ignorance...not the first time and most likely won't be the last either. I have never even heard of such a setup and thought by the pics those were just flip up scope covers but now I see they are mounts...COOL!!!!!
Are there any advantages to such a setup or is it just something different?

Thanks,
Ryan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.