Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boy...That put a damper on the thread.

...It's still nice to dream a No.1 in ANY caliber could be available.

Oh well...now that we're awake....I guess I'll just have to stick with my Lott.

It was a nice dream while it lasted..Take Care Fellas,

Stump

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Would any of you go for such a beast? The No.1 AH model with a 22 or 24 inch barrel would be my choice. In Canada there is a lot of good history with this round both hunting and military, I would buy one in a flash.

Not a chance in 5 Hells would I buy or hunt with such a chitty round.Also wouldn't subject a good Number 1 to such a ordeal.

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack..

Care to explain why the 303 brit is a "chitty round"
It's a good as the 30/40 and has proven that may times over....
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't feel bad..I think the 30/40 is the [bleep] too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cat...

Well, you have to admit that the .303 is not mainstream in the US, however, I could see that those of you north of the 49th parallel would like it.

I might consider one if it were available, but I already have a #3 in .30-40 Krag with #1 wood on it. So ballistically, it's a moot point. While I seem to be attracted to "something unique and different", I just can't see it ever happening.

'Course, I could be wrong, I built a 9.3x74R because I wanted one and I didn't think Ruger would ever make one. I also contracted to have a Browning B-78 in .405 Win for the same reason. I was wrong on both counts. Problem is, so many folks want it exactly their way! So a manufacturer could never make it in 6 or 8 different configurations. So.... We all lose.

Grasshopper

P.S: I've never even fired a .303. So it would be a totally new experience for me.... smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BTW,

I currently have #1's in 7x65R, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x54 MS, and .338 Federal in the works. So no one could ever accuse me of not wanting something different. smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
BTW,

I currently have #1's in 7x65R, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x54 MS, and .338 Federal in the works. So no one could ever accuse me of not wanting something different. smile

I hear ya Grasshopper!
I've owned some no.1's and some Browning single shots in some strange calibers and love 'em all - unless they have a .243 barrel on them , which makes them an instant donor gun!! ( grin)
I recently got the wood for my Martini that is chambered in 6.5/303Brit/imp., which is a strange one, and i just received a martini in 225WIN, which has some pretty nice woos and bird's eye grip caps and tips on it.
my 6.5WSSM has since languished on the rack since last summer, no time for it since I got the O/U in 9.3X74R , now that is a cool cartridge.

However, I have a No.3 that is coming back to me and I may rip the 45/70 long range barrel off and put on a 6.5X47 Lapua barrel on it - decisions, decisions.....
Cat

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by catnthehat

I hear ya Grasshopper!
I've owned some no.1's and some Browning single shots in some strange calibers and love 'em all - unless they have a .243 barrel on them , which makes them an instant donor gun!! ( grin)

Cat

Cat, I have to agree on the above... I don't have much use for a .243 anything. One 6mmBR and I'm good for anything I need to do with a .24 cal bullet.

I've been thinking of a .25 Krag, but haven't made the jump as yet... Altho' I do have the dies. smile

Grasshopper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/quote]

Cat, I have to agree on the above... I don't have much use for a .243 anything. One 6mmBR and I'm good for anything I need to do with a .24 cal bullet.

I've been thinking of a .25 Krag, but haven't made the jump as yet... Altho' I do have the dies. smile

Grasshopper [/quote]
A TRUE gun looney you is!
Tell us now, did you see the dies at a show and say to yourself " gee, i should build one of those"? (grin)
Cat

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
"I have the dies" ...that one bit me in the ass today when I went into the local rifle emporium to see if my primers came in...I had to give myself a stern lecture when I got home.. blush

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Tell us now, did you see the dies at a show and say to yourself " gee, i should build one of those"? (grin)

Actually, I went thru a period a few years ago just before I retired, that I bought every set of dies that I found that I either didn't have or thought I might want. smile I especially concetrated on "Wildcat" dies. Thus there isn't hardly anything that I might ever want to build that I don't have dies for. Conforting thought!

I got a lot of them off eBay, before they went sky high!

Grasshopper

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[
Not a chance in 5 Hells would I buy or hunt with such a chitty round.Also wouldn't subject a good Number 1 to such a ordeal.

I hunted with this round quite a bit when it was the only rifle I could afford. I still use that old rifle fot bear protection. It may not have the flashy ballistics of the more modern rounds but there is something about the 'large' bullets at moderate velocities that I find just plain work well.

With its rim, I think it would make a great #1, however, I won't hold my breath for it to happen.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd buy one in a minute as long as it came with a .311" groove, not a .308" like the us made 7.62x39 rifles.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=7 STW

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack.. [/quote]

I agree 100% my grandfather shot a 303 Brit and it was crap.I don't think you will EVER get Ruger to chamber a rifle in 303 Brit There are alot of great old cartridges out there ,the 303 Brit is DEFINATELY NOT ONE OF THEM.

Last edited by con10der; 06/30/08.

HM3 USN
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a "crap" cartridge, it has seen more meat and guts than most have. I'm not going to argue that it is the best round ever, but it is a lot better than what you're saying it is. It's about the same as me calling a .308, or the 30-06, crap and chitty.
R.

Last edited by Rman; 06/30/08.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually, if handloaded to it's fullest, the .303 British is a pretty effective round with the 180 grain or heavier 215 grain bullet.

Hodgon's Basic Reloaders Manual (2006) shows a maximum load (48.0 grains-a compressed load) of H4350 yielding a respectable 2500 fps (with 2499 ft/lbs of muzzle energy) with a 180 grain bullet and a maximum load (45.0 grains) of BL-C� yielding 2563 fps (with 2620 ft/lbs of M.E.) out of a 24-inch barrel with the 180 grain bullet and a very mild chamber pressure of just 43,800 CUP and 43,000 CUP respectively.

Other components include Remington cartridge cases and Federal 210 primers.

In a super-strong Ruger #1 rifle and good brass, we can only guess at what muzzle velocities/muzzle energies one could achieve with heavier powder charges which would be "safe" in a stronger (than the British SMLE's) action.

The one regret I sorta have with my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 is that the little rifle isn't chambered for the 7x57R ("rimmed") cartridge... not a popular cartridge case in the USA these days... the "saving grace" of having the RSI in the standard 7x57mm.

In a single shot rifle, head-spacing on the rim of a "rimmed" case seems to be a good & simple way to get the job done... and like the old, heavy-caliber African double rifles, a rimmed case is "traditional" in many calibers used in single shot & double rifles. It seems reasonable that when one is using a single shot rifle these days, the reason is more for "tradition" than anything else, so why not have a "traditional" "rimmed" cartridge as well?

Our Canadian friends have an on-going "love affair" with the old .303 British and with good reason. It has served them well and taken every kind of game animal that roams the Canadian woods with well-placed shots out of the old and kinda "homely" SMLE battle rifles using the 180 or 215 grain bullets at modest velocities.

And so, it is "understandable" that they might like a single shot rifle like the Ruger #1 or something similar in the rimmed .303 British cartridge.

N'est pas?!? smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think it makes sense to build the Ruger No.1 in .303, 7x65R, .444 Marlin, .22 Savage HP, and .30-30 - but what do I know?

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A 30-30 in a #1 is morally wrong.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Both/either the .303 and .30-40 trip my trigger in a #1. Light 22 barrel w/open sights and Alex Henry forend.

Expat

Exactly my thoughts. I guess I'd prefer the 30-40 since that one shares my roots.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Would any of you go for such a beast? The No.1 AH model with a 22 or 24 inch barrel would be my choice. In Canada there is a lot of good history with this round both hunting and military, I would buy one in a flash.

Good luck trying to find a gunsmith to build it without a serious laugh attack..

Careful with a comment like that. It could easily be taken to represent one's abilities - or, rather, lack of them. The same holds for a 'smith who shirked at the thought of chambering a rimmed case cartridge to a #1 when a paying customer wanted it.

And I seriously doubt Ruger would never chamber such a "loser" round. Consider their recent forays into such "winners" as the 218 Bee and 7.62X39.

Originally Posted by BMT
A 30-30 in a #1 is morally wrong.

BMT

I hope that was TIC. It sounds more like something Nancy Pelosi's brother-in-law would say.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 07/02/08.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wish had bought one of those immoral Browning 1885s in .30-30 with the 24-inch tapered octagon barrel, tang peep sight and crescent case colored buttplate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.