Print Thread
Hop To
S
Snyd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone ever use one? What's the good, bad and the ugly?

I am looking to buy a lightweight bivy mainly to stick my BA Air core pad in along with my bag to keep me from slipping off it (the pad) in the middle of the night in the tent. That's why I want a light one. Less than a lb. I have considered the Montbell but I think I want a zipper. I understand the XPG has the zipper on the left which is fine by me, my bag does also. I may actually use it as a bivy some time also or just carry it as an emergency backup for the unplanned siwash. Been there done that....

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
check pm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save some money and definitely weight in the long run be getting a Big Agnes bag! Can't slip off the pad with them...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snyd,

Those do look nice and even thought about getting one. But for the money you might as well go half the weight and get the tigoat ptarmigan bivy. Since you can get just the stock Tigoat bivy for the same price. Or add the 20 bucks and get the meshing.

Anyways, just a thought work a look anyways.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

S
Snyd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks guys. Ya, pointer, I definitely have considered a Big Agnes bag but I am not ready yet to go to a down bag and the synthetics use Primaloft and I don't think they use the best Primaloft. Anyway, besides, I like my TNF Cats Meow bag and like the idea of just throwing the bivy in my pack when leaving the tent and chasing sheep for a day.

And thanks guys for pointing out the ti bivy. It looks more along the line of what I'm looking for, 6 ozs with a zipper and half the weight of the XPG.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.co...;osCsid=724adf2572a3e13cdc0c544f150170ca

I just ordered one of these...the large is big enough to put a pad in.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Big Agnes pad and bag and I live near where Ti Goat is located. I too have wanted a bivy just to go light and I plan to get the Ti Goat bivy next month. I ran up there a couple months ago and put my bag and pad in their bivy and it fit if that is of any concern. Also, they are very good to work with, they put up with me showing up and looking at their stuff for 30 minutes and they do not have a showroom (internet/phone sales only).

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm a big fan of TiGoat but I like the Mountain Laurel 3/4 zip. That looks easy to get into. Costs more though.

B
B
I understand not all bivys are created equal. Some are waterproof on top, to be used alone, others are waterproof on the bottom and breathable on top, for use on wet ground under a tarp.
IIRC the XPG is porous on the bottom, I could blow through it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not like the zipper at all on the XPG. It is on the left and is cheap.

IC B3

S
Snyd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Miner
I have a Big Agnes pad and bag and I live near where Ti Goat is located. I too have wanted a bivy just to go light and I plan to get the Ti Goat bivy next month. I ran up there a couple months ago and put my bag and pad in their bivy and it fit if that is of any concern. Also, they are very good to work with, they put up with me showing up and looking at their stuff for 30 minutes and they do not have a showroom (internet/phone sales only).

Miner, is there a zipper down one side on that Ti bivy? It looks like a tube. Might be hard to get in and out of or just open up for venting. That Mountain Laurel looks pretty sweet but is a little spendy, but then again, it might be the hot setup. It's got the features and is light that's for sure.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Be advised...MLD is currently on a 8 week backorder....if you want one for fall, better order now.

Last edited by ken999; 06/26/08.
S
Snyd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the heads up on MLD. I contacted Ti Goat and they will put a zipper in the Ptarmigan Bivy as an option for 25 bucks. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and order one.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
One of the deciding factors for me was the Momentum fabric used by MLD. From MLD's description of it and their reference to seat of the pants testing of compareable materials, I feel the price difference of the MLD is justifiable. YMMV.

'course the reflective bottom material of the Ti bivy is interesting as well...choices choices...lol...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have considered those bivys too Perry but heck theres some pretty light tarp tents out there that would make life much more enjoyable for equal to a hair more weight.

S
Snyd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Have considered those bivys too Perry but heck theres some pretty light tarp tents out there that would make life much more enjoyable for equal to a hair more weight.

Ya, did you see the MSR tarp tent in Mountain Sports when you were there a few days ago? He had one setup when I was there. Looked pretty slick.

Anyway, at this point I'm just wanting something to keep my bag and pad together so I don't keep slipping over on to your side of the tent laugh Beaver Sports has the Mt. Hardware Conduit SL which looks pretty nice but it's 1.2 lbs. The Ti Bivy is only about 7ozs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahhhh gotcha!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like with the Cabelas XPG Bivy your face is either exposed or zipped inside the bivy. Is that correct?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used the ti goat bivy this weekend in some high country of AZ.

I was unsure about the lack of a full side zipper but it really wasn't an issue. Getting in and out wasn't that difficult after a time or two.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,653
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.