Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
The picture of the laying elk has the grass in the fore and back ground out of focus, the animal and grass in focus along with a bush that appears to be in the fore ground.
What am I seeing??

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to, but I think I know.

We're NOT talking about the backlight elk picture, but the other one correct?

On that picture there was a small hill I was shooting over, and that's the extremely out of focus grass in the foreground. Then there's a small depression in the terrain (out of sight of course), and the elk is lying on the other side of the small valley.

That severly out of focus grass in the foreground is almost right in front of the camera, which is why it looks that way.

Is that what you were referring to?

GB1

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The picture of the laying elk has the grass in the fore and back ground out of focus, the animal and grass in focus along with a bush that appears to be in the fore ground.
What am I seeing??

... See my above response, but in reading it again I'm not sure what you're asking me?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elevation changes in the forefround.

Background blur=Bokeh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

And just for fun,
http://www.lensbabies.com/

Not sure if that helps I think I was posting the same time as VTi.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VTi
What am I seeing??

... See my above response, but in reading it again I'm not sure what you're asking me?

You answered, that was the picture I was looking at.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_0J1T0859.jpg

The bush in the right of the pic appears to be at about the same distance as the blurry grass in the foreground but is in focus while the fore and back ground grass are out of focus. For some reason it, until I now see it as a hill in front, looked odd to me. My eye was expecting the grass in front of the animal to be in focus also. The "bush or tree" in the right front is playing with my eye......

Last edited by Ol` Joe; 07/08/08.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stetson that "lensbabies" looks like it would give a very similar effect to what I thought I was seeing. wink

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B2

VTi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VTi
What am I seeing??

You answered, that was the picture I was looking at.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_0J1T0859.jpg

The bush in the right of the pic appears to be at about the same distance as the blurry grass in the foreground but is in focus while the fore and back ground grass are out of focus. For some reason it, until I now see it as a hill in front, looked odd to me. My eye was expecting the grass in front of the animal to be in focus also. The "bush or tree" in the right front is playing with my eye......

Yea, that's correct. THat tree/bush is actually right at the elk's side, not in the foreground.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 23 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.