Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have decide that after many decades of hunting it is time for me to learn how to shoot with a sling. I hope it will give me more stability. Well, I bought a Hunter Whelen sling thinking it would at least come with instructions for rigging and use, but it doesn't. Is there anyone here who could direct me to such information?
Thanks and good on ya.
Oldtrapper

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

BP-B6

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
O/T-

Start by taking the open end through first keeper,rivets toward stock through outside of the rear swivel [away from stock], through both keepers, through upper swivel the inside of stock, bring it down through both keepers to about 80% from the toe swivel. If I recall there are two keepers. At this point the open end of sling is free, waiting for the proper length to determined the for the arm loop. Go through upper keeper only temperarly secure the open end with leathe thong to the sling [should be unfinshede or raw side. A cross X formed by the last four holes of of the thong is preferable, with loose ends tucked inside X for . I suggest you determine length of loop, by moving the four holes up & down the inside determined from different shooting positions. Remember both keepers should be on each side of sling, bottom one outside the X; upper one inside of anchor point. The claw end is now positioned in sling towards muzzle. When firing with arm through loop, the claw must be floating free. Upper keeper pulled back against arm for stability. One fine durable usable product. Just stay with it till comfortable Sorry for extreme wordy reply. Not a gunwriter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I don't know how similar that is to a M1903 sling, but a picture is worth 1000 words as they say. This is a Turner Saddlery M1903 sling. That should get you started. I'm not saying my way is the right way, but it has worked for me for 15 years. I can't imagine life without slings frown

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks guys, I think I can get it from here. Dan, it appears the Whelen is kind of an abbreviated version of your sling but the idea appears to be the same - front and back loop only the front loop is fixed in size with lacing and there is therefore only one (back) claw. I really appreciate you folks helping me out.

If your ever want to talk about J Curtis Griggs mink trapping technique, I am your man.
All the best,
Oldtrapper

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome... And welcome to the 'Fire. I just had some time to kill after dinner on my day off.

Obviously, your arm goes through the big loop. I find its best to leave the back half of the sling nice and loose when it position. Another thing that might help initial set-up. I find that on most of my rifles that when the big loop is about half way between the trigger gaurd and the buttstock (pulled tight with your arm out of the loop straight towards the toe of the stock) is a real good place to start. I also usually put a half turn in the sling before I poke my arm through. After a while, getting "wrapped up" in your sling will come as easily as skinning your favorite wheelgun from a well worked holster.

Practice with it as much as you can, and I promise, you'll be a better rifleman.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks again ! It's a done deal and if the way it feels is any indication the shooting should be a lot more stable. Oldtrapper

Soli Deo Gloria

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.