Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OK... I am picking up a CZ550 375 H&H to replace a sako I just sold.... What besides bedding the stock needs to be done to it? Action Job?

thanks

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would just bed and shoot; the action will break in and if it isn't sufficiently smooth after a few thousand cycles then it would be worth sending it out to be "slicked up."

Make up some dummy rounds and work them through the action, I found my CZ 550 458 win mag's feeding problem that way, a little work on the rails and a new follower spring solved the problem.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I am no fan of the "set trigger" function -- the first thing I would do would be to either back out the screw until it goes away or remove the mechanism altogether (instructions on CZ-USA website).

Other than the bedding you've already mentioned, I would also check the magazine spring strength. I've read several reports about weakness in the stock spring leading to feeding issues -- easy to replace.

the rest of it is kind of "personal preference" stuff -- monkeying with the sights, barrel length, stock shape, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 602 off for a new bbl. It's going to be 21", no more. I handled a CZ550 with a 20" bbl and was sold. The difference in handling for those rifles is like night and day.

Having said that ... If I had a 550, I'd get it cut to 21", get it bedded, add a good pad, get the stock done in a dark oil finish and clean up the checkering. Maybe add a bbl band swivel thingy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had my CZ550 375 H&H for about 5 months now and I like it a lot. I've had some significant work done on it, but almost everything was personal preference (it wasn't needed,but wanted). Get it glass bedded, maybe have dual crossbolts put in as well. I think the trigger is actually fine, the safety works like a Rem 700, so if it's what you're used to it's also fine (forward is fire, back is safe). Make sure your iron sights are regulated before you scope it. Other than that, enjoy it.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a CZ in 416 Rigby. I slicked up the action, had the barrel ported, steel bedded action, Mauser heavy duty cartridge spring, jeweled tbe bolt, & added a barrel band. I topped off with a Swarovski 1.25-4X20 PH scope in removable rings. Following is a water buffalo that was killed with one shot. I followed with a safety shot to the spine when on the ground. CZ's work.[Linked Image]

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MUSTS:
1. Action steel bedded
2. Action polished & stoned
3. Set trigger removed

Nice to have:
Stiffer spring
bolt jeweled (helps smoother action)
shorten barrel to 24"
replace rear sight
barrel band
jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I forgot to mention the trigger work. I like set triggers on some hunting rifles, mainly Mannlicher style, but not on a DGR. I assume you meant- shortened barrel to 21". I know a number of CZ owners have gone this route but I find the weight & balance OK. But then I am 6'!" & 245pds. I am sure the rifle balance would be improved by shortening. Good hunting.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, I like & recommend 24" on a 375, especially a guy like you who's tall. That's what Model 70 Safari Express' have and it's a perfectly balanced rifle. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shoot it before you rebed; my 9.3X62 shot fine just the way it came. The set trigger function is easily disabled; no need to remove it. The action will smooth out by being worked while watching TV or some other mindless activity, or have a gunsmith you trust slick it up.

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks everyone..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Shoot it before you rebed; my 9.3X62 shot fine just the way it came.

It's not just to improve accuracy. Quite often bedding will keep the stock from splitting at the tang or recoil lug.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nope, I like & recommend 24" on a 375, especially a guy like you who's tall. That's what Model 70 Safari Express' have and it's a perfectly balanced rifle. jorge

I checked out a friend's 20" CZ and was sold. The improvement over the 25" made it a totally different gun.

I liked so much I had my Rem700 in 375/338 cut to 21" and ordered a 21" bbl for my 602.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My CZ 416 Rigby came from the factory with dual crossbolts and both recoil lugs steel bedded.

I don't find the set trigger an issue because it is engineered so if you adjust the pull weight down, the set feature is disabled (I think JB wrote about this happening in one of his articles). At any rate my trigger breaks at a crisp 3.5lbs with no set issues.

My rifle out of the box was the roughest bolt gun I have ever worked on. After a lot of work, today it is smooth as glass and I am really pleased with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .375 CZ American Safari was issued with dual bedded recoil lugs and a decent trigger.

The only two things I did were to add Burris rings for my S&B Flashdot and move the front sling swivel QD stud from the bottom of the forend to a barrel band.

Actually, come to think of it now, there was a third thing - I plugged the old front swivel stud stock hole with a walnut dowel.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i think it's been covered here, but this is what i am doing...

action slicked and reliability/function checked, trigger adjust,barrel band added, bedded,cut and crowned to 23", necg hooded w/window and red fiber optic front sight,decel pad, bolt handle replaced and checkered, tallet QD rings holding a Luppy VXIII 1.75-6

some pics as she is sitting...
[img]http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/666943/fullsize/cz550[1]-mod.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

should have some mo' pics in about 6-8 weeks... smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I am no fan of the "set trigger" function -- the first thing I would do would be to either back out the screw until it goes away or remove the mechanism altogether (instructions on CZ-USA website).

Other than the bedding you've already mentioned, I would also check the magazine spring strength. I've read several reports about weakness in the stock spring leading to feeding issues -- easy to replace.

the rest of it is kind of "personal preference" stuff -- monkeying with the sights, barrel length, stock shape, etc.

I just picked up a Safari Classic, 375, and have no problems with the set trigger. Why not adjust it for a decent standard and set pull and have the best of both worlds. YOu do not have to set the trigger to fire the rifle. Mine, unset is so good, really better in my mind than when set, I do not use the set feature.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=91xlt]i think it's been covered here, but this is what i am doing...

action slicked and reliability/function checked, trigger adjust,barrel band added, bedded,cut and crowned to 23", necg hooded w/window and red fiber optic front sight,decel pad, bolt handle replaced and checkered, tallet QD rings holding a Luppy VXIII 1.75-6

How did you replace the bolt handle, I would like to do this as I do not like that knob with a flared hole ( edge is relativelyh sharp). I prefer a perfectly round, smooth bolt knob. I also like the barrel band idea and may add stock cross bolts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jkingrph, i will get details for you....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.