Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out Dave Affleck's video short from Varmint Safari 4 - Tricking the Trickster. Dave is the man as his varmint/predator videos are highly recommended and top notch.

all dogs shot in the video are with his new .17 Predator custom rifle. Run-offs are non-existent with proper shot placement and a fast moving bullet.

IMO, coyotes often die instantly when hit with a .17 caliber bullet at 4000+ fps. due to "hydrostatic shock". The internal organs and tissue explode due to the high speed bullet causing shock waves during penetration.

Varmint Safari 4 - 17's and coyotes

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
GB1

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't argue with that kind of success... I love to see stacks of coyote hides. I've killed a couple hundred, but skinned out exactly one coyote in the last 5 years... almost of them were shot with either the 6mm Rem or the .25-06 (toss in a few with the .375 and the WSMs just for giggles).

I hunt coyotes purely on a depredation basis, so the 6mms and 25s get the call. If I were a fur guy, I'm thinking the .204 Ruger would be making an appearance out of the bull-pen.

Sweet picture, thanks for posting it... I know a couple of guys that hammer out the pelts, your buddy has them in spades. But, that seems like a whole lot of work for $7500 gross... throw in all the expenses and you see maybe 6 grand for 6 weeks of hunting and all the prep work... I think I'll stick to depredation.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake
IMO, coyotes often die instantly when hit with a .17 caliber bullet at 4000+ fps. due to "hydrostatic shock". The internal organs and tissue explode due to the high speed bullet causing shock waves during penetration.

now double the mass, and the frontal area... shoot that baby at 4K+... mmmmmmmmmm, massive tissue explosion!

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DDP

Sweet picture, thanks for posting it... I know a couple of guys that hammer out the pelts, your buddy has them in spades. But, that seems like a whole lot of work for $7500 gross... throw in all the expenses and you see maybe 6 grand for 6 weeks of hunting and all the prep work... I think I'll stick to depredation.

$6,000.00 for six weeks of hunting and the great outdoors? Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. I know guys that spend that plus some for a week to hunt.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the hunting... hell, we'd all do that part for free... but all that prep work? Skinning, fleshing, stretching, and preparing for sale takes at least a couple hours a piece... times 150 dogs? I don't know about you, but my time is worth a lot more than $12-$15 an hour. I guess it's a labor of love... but I'd rather spend the other 450 hours shooting more coyotes, istead of playing with the dead ones I already shot.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I really like my 6mm-270wINCHESTER SHOOTING 105 GR. HORNADY AMAXS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CB I've been following Dave Affleck's (DAA) posts for years like to meet him some day. Lots of good stories and shooting. Most of the video I've seen of his those critters drop like they have been hit by lightning. Him and his brother in their earlier posts were both using 17 Remingtons and stacking them like cord wood.

NRA Lifetime Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DDP
Not the hunting... hell, we'd all do that part for free... but all that prep work? Skinning, fleshing, stretching, and preparing for sale takes at least a couple hours a piece... times 150 dogs? I don't know about you, but my time is worth a lot more than $12-$15 an hour. I guess it's a labor of love... but I'd rather spend the other 450 hours shooting more coyotes, istead of playing with the dead ones I already shot.

My time working at a job yes is worth more. $12-$15 a hour to do something I enjoy now thats a win win. I try my best to use in one way or another everything I kill. I admit some things I kill I won't eat and don't use the pelts, but I do use for bait in my traps. Hell I hate cleaning my guns but that is part of the process of shooting and hunting. Now if I could only get $12-$15 a hour to clean my guns I would be in heaven.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/04/08.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i saw a stainless fwt m70 in 22-250 a couple of years back... got a bad itch on first site, but my old fwt.243 would not be easy to replace...

i'm a "pick the rifle and don't sweat the cartridge" guy, but day in and day out the 22-250 is the boss coyote cartridge out there... john w

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For fur collecting, this one is a lot of fun too. It's chambered in 17 Remington, with a 20" Lothar Walther barrel.

[Linked Image]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
IC B3

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
day in and day out the 22-250 is the boss coyote cartridge out there... john w

Yeah right... and the .270 is the 'boss' deer cartridge. Both are pretty dang good rounds... but at the end of the day they both suck hind tit for the entended job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DDP
Originally Posted by johnw
day in and day out the 22-250 is the boss coyote cartridge out there... john w

Yeah right... and the .270 is the 'boss' deer cartridge.

no argument from me.....
in fact, i don't use a .270 any more than i do the 22-250... and it's not because they are less than perfect for deer (the .270) and coyotes (the 22-250)... it's because i like having a true "do it all" rifle, and using it for everything (the .243).....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't have traded my 17's for anything out there in their time--especially fur hunting. I was also in love with my old 22-250 AI Ruger 77/Douglas sporter barrel/MPI-stocked rig either. It had some good cheap glass on it at the time--the 3.5-10X Tasco WCP with a 3-dot T.K. Lee reticle for 0-300, 400 and 500 yds. using the 40 Nosler BT @ 4350 mv.

But if i were just trying to kill as many coyotes as possible it'd be my AR-15 .223 AI, or DTech 243 WSSM uppers--no question.

If Blaine Eddy were to tell me the best cartridge for coyote hunting was the 22 rimfire, i'd believe him. I always thought of him as the ultimate coyote hunting wildcatter--man he's got some. Then again there's Quinton Waggoner out of NE who kills a bunch of 'em every year now too. He uses a bolt gun in 220 Swift with the 52 A-Max (I think, now). There's also Mike Johnson too out of MT. He used to spot and stalk, and kill over 100 in a fur season--there's a hunter, IMO. He uses the Middlested, and 17 Rems. I actually knew about these guys because of their writings in Varmint Hunter,SCN, and PS mags way before i ever talked with them or wrote to them about our mutual interest. There's actually kind of an interesting story about that. The 1st time i ever met Quinton was at the '98 Fur Taker's Convention in Kearney, NE. I was asked to do a talk on coyote hunting there from the writings i'd had in Trapper and Predator Caller. When i was done talking some young guy comes up to me and we talked for a minute and he finally asked me how many i'd gotten that year. I told him maybe 50 or so. He didn't say anything and we continued talking and finally i asked him the same ? He told me 150 i think it was. I couldn't hardly say anything, until i finally uttered out, "Man u oughtta be up here talking about this instead of me." Very great and humble man.

I'm now into spot and stalk and long-range as i killed enuf for #'s in the past that i don't have to do that anymore. For this reason i love my old 17 Fireball XP-100. For long-range i'd like to try the 111 DTAC in a big 24, if they ever get that bullet up and running. For now i use my XP-100 6.5 WSM/140 A-Max for long-range post fur season.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sweet pic!! Ditto on the 'yote rifle too.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanx, I tried a 800+ yard shot on a 'yote than appreared.

I pulled out the 308, best guessed the range (LRF did not report the range that far out)

I fell about 12 feet short.

Would have been a good place for a Barret.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BMT
Thanx, I tried a 800+ yard shot on a 'yote than appreared.

I pulled out the 308, best guessed the range (LRF did not report the range that far out)

I fell about 12 feet short.

Would have been a good place for a Barret.

BMT

Or turrets. grin

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turrets don't do you any good if the range is unknown...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1_deuce, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 42 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.