Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well, I just got back from Texas on Thursday. What a trip. Several of us went hog hunting outside of College Station. I took my 1946 vintage model 99 in .300 Savage. It has a 3-10x scope, and I was using 150 gr. Spitzers over 40 grains of IMR 4895. The calculated velocity was a bit over 2600 fps, but I didn't break out the chrono to test it. It really did a number on them. The longest shot was at 100 yards, and it went through the front leg, hit a rib, went through both lungs and the top of the liver, exited the pig's body on the opposite side of the ribcage, hit the far side rear leg, and snapped the femur cleanly in half before exiting the body again. All that from a little .300 savage. I was pretty happy with it. The blood trail was, needless to say, easy to follow. It went about 40 yards and was crumpled up in the middle of the next clearing. The guide arrived just as we were hauling it out, and was impressed with the results. Evidently he had been harboring some doubts as to how well the cartridge would work on Texas pigs. The results on the rest of the pigs, ar ranges from 25-80 yards were all about the same. I didn't get any "Dead Right There" shots in, but nothing went farther than 40 yards. We ended up bringing two full sized coolers full of meat back with us. I will definately be taking this one along next time I go.

-Mb

p.s. I just cooked up some of the meat for lunch today. That is one tasty critter...

Him that came down from the trees
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a great time MonkeyBoy...

The .300 sav is a great all around killing machine!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outstanding! Congrats on the meat.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the pig and thanks for removing another one from Tx. We have plenty more we would like removed so come on back and bring your friends!

As a side note, I took 2 last weekend with a '52 300 EG. A 180 Speer Hot Core behind the ear will get you DRT. laugh

P.S.- Did you take the fleas with you? We have way to many of them as well. grin

Best to ya .. BP...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great to reading about your successful hunting trip and again congratulation on your success. It�s always fun to hear about hunting trips.

38superman

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I didn't get any DRT shots, as we were trying to whack them 2 at a time. It is hard to do the "1, 2, 3, shoot!" thing with the whole herd moving in every direction while they mill around. As soon as one of us would have a shot lined up, the other's target would move. We had a lot of "1, 2, Dangit! Hang on a sec..." It worked, but we went for boiler room shots, as it was a bigger target. I will definately be going back. But not in the middle of the summer. And I didn't get to take the fleas with me, but the Texas Airforce left me a few souveniers to remember them by. I guess it was a good thing that the pigs didn't seem to mind the smell of Off!, or I'd have a few more. The next time I'll try for a time when it isn't so danged hot and humid that the pigs refuse to move most of the day.

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a great time, I'm envious!!

Maybe we can find some campfire member with too many pigs and he'll invite us all down for a Savage shoot? Only 99's and 1920's allowed, naturally. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Sounds like a great time, I'm envious!!

Maybe we can find some campfire member with too many pigs and he'll invite us all down for a Savage shoot? Only 99's and 1920's allowed, naturally. grin

Although maybe a guy with a M1895 wouldn't be turned away? wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I'm in" grin grin grin

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
L
L
Sounds like a great time. I would think the .300 Savage would be a great choice as a hog cartridge. Years ago I went on a guided hunt on Brahma Island located in Lake Kissimmee, Florida. At the time a .30 cal carbine was the only center fire rifle I owned. I had taken several hogs with it at close range with no problems.

Our guide that went by the nick name "Snake" told me the .30 caliber carbine was not enough gun to get the job done. Finally he relented and agreed to let me use it on the second day of the hunt. I ended up getting the largest/longest hog (weight & tusks)with a neck shot that dropped the boar hog almost in its tracks. The bullet fragments cleanly cut through the large arteries in the neck. A lucky shot no doubt but the experience let me realize how potent an "inferior" cartridge could be.

My uncle was an avid elk, mule deer and antelope hunter. He use a Savage model 99 in 300 Savage for all of the western large game. He had a reputation for dropping more than a few elk dropped almost instantly.

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
HYE!

Unwrap those pigs and let them out of your freezer.

They are not "really" dead.

A 300 savage can't kill 'em . . . . . . wink

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.