Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't understand your comment.

Winchester/USRA was making short action 70s until just a couple of years ago, so I can't see any reason why they couldn't have chambered the SAAMI specs 260. Since Winchester/USRA and Winchester/Olin are seperate companies, I don't think that there was a requirement that Winchester/Olin make ammo for all of the cartridges that Winchester/USRA chambered.

Jeff

It's not about requirements, it's all about production costs and how many pieces they think they'll sell. They certainly could have; they chose not to. I don't think the 260 was popular enough to attract any attention over at Winchester, nor was the 7mm08. They already chambered for 6.5x55 and 7x57, so I doubt they considered it feasible to add the new chamberings.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think the M70 Compact(but not the Featherweight) was available in .260, for a year or two, according to the catalogs. The M70s weren't/aren't marketed here very well (Louisville area), so I've never seen one, and the one shop that DID stock Winchesters has since closed up.

It has proven to be difficult to find Winchester rifles in the Louisville area, as Remington seems to reign supreme. Whittaker's has stocked a limited selection of Model 70s in times past, but I don't know if they will do so again. Time will only tell.

Charles Fackler

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, Winchester/USRA made some 70 Fwts in 7mm-08, but I don't know if they were cataloged, or if they were a special run ordered by a specific wholesaler. Winchester/USRA chambered a number of lower volume cartridges in a variety of 70 styles, including the 6mm Remington, a non-cataloged limted run, and 250 Savage, cataloged in the lightweight carbine during 1986. Winchester/USRA didn't do nearly as many special runs as Remington does, probably because the demand for Winchester/USRA rifle was significantly less than those offered by Remington.

Firearms manufacturers that are also in the ammunition business seldom chamber a firearm for a cartridge that they don't offer in their line of ammunition. For example, Remington has never made ammunition for the following cartridges that they didn't chamber rifles for; the WSSMs, 256 Win Mag, 284, 307, 356, and 375 Win. Winchester/Olin has never made ammunition for the 260, the SAUMs, and the 444 Marlin.

Jeff

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SU35
the 7-08 is better for hunting than the 6.5-08. But the .308 is way better than either one.

I don't know how anyone could really say that.

I used the 708 on elk in 1990 and the 260 later on. I killed my first elk with a 308 in 1971.

They all kill the same.

I prefer the 260 as it's recoil is less
and I find more hunting bullets with higher BC's with it.

At distance the 308 is sucking wind compared to the 26 and 28.

I agree............I'd trade 3 308's for a just one 7mm or 6.5 308....Less recoil, better BC, the works.

All will kill just fine, but I've really grown to like the 7 and 6.5 on that case.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, no, they don't all kill the same. The .308 bullets from the various .300s are noticeably better killers on game if you compare apples to apples. The .264 and .284 do kill, but the .300s do it mo' bettah.

I observed this myself in Africa shooting various antelope and wart hog for leopard bait on three leopard hunts. Mike LaGrange also documented the effect of the jump to .300 from the smaller bores in his book on ballistics (itself documenting years of observations culling thousands of head of game in Zimbabwe).

If I was still target shooting now I would go with the 6.5s for lower accumulated recoil over a course of fire, but now I only shoot one shot groups on animals. I also have all the .300s I need, and I am selling other guns and putting the $ into hunting trips. I don't care what the BC is on a hunting bullet, I learn the trajectory and get an accurate range before shooting. YMMV if you are doing different things than I am.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you were able to shoot the same head of game through the lungs with a properly constructed bullet, launched at comperable velocities from the same basic 51mm long case, I doubt if there is $0.05 difference in meaningful performance regardless if the bullet has a diameter of .243", .257", .264", .284", or .308". For varmints and non-dangerous game, the proper placement of a properly constructed projectile is what counts, not its diameter.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HunterJim
Well, no, they don't all kill the same. The .308 bullets from the various .300s are noticeably better killers on game if you compare apples to apples. The .264 and .284 do kill, but the .300s do it mo' bettah.

There are a gazillion variables in how effectively deer-sized game is killed. These include shot placement, game orientation, game alertness, bone/muscle/lung/CNS tissue encountered, etc.

Other variables associated with the gun/shooter/cartridge include, range, impact velocity, bullet construction, sectional density, and others.

IMO, one of the LEAST important variables, at least for deer-sized game, is a difference of 24 or 44 thousandths of an inch in bullet diameter.

So I would disagree that the 30's (all other things being equal) are significantly mo bettah, than the 7's or 277's or even 257's.

At least that's been my experience over the last 50+ years of hunting/killing deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I want a jump in killing power, I go from the 6-7mm class straight to 338/358, just my preference as I believe then you get a definite noticeable killing power increase on larger game, but proper chosen bullets in 6.5-7mm will handle larger game, depending on shot placement they might or might not drop as fast but to me if you want to increase frontal area and mass, why not go to 338 or 358 even on a 308 case?

Yes, no doubt the 30's work, but I don't think there are many flies on a 338 Federal or 358 Win to 300 yds, or a 338/06, Win Mag, or 350RM/Whelen to 350-400 yds w/proper bullets.

If needing Longer range capability, more speed may be needed, but most of my hunting is whitetail and smaller game so I go with what I need on the majority of my hunting. If I were hunting big stuff in NA or Africa, I'd consider a mid bore vs my small bores. Just personal preference as I don't think one gives up anything using 33/35's over a 30 at normal ranges, but you gain more mass/frontal area which is all else equal, 'more is better' as I'd just as soon pop say an elk or bear w/a 350 Rem Mag as I would a 300 Winchester, actually preferring the larger bullet, assuming normal ranges. 338 Wins can stretch range and still carry energy at distances, you might want a larger case for a long range 33.

None the less, don't believe any 260s were ever standard catalogue items by Winchester.

Ruger I understand shipped some 6.5x54 MS to Europe, perhaps the mannlicher 77, maybe even the #1 single shots, but it seems they only went to the overseas market.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Winchester listed the short action M-70 in 260 rem in their regular catalog as a "Custom shop" chambering in the
Winchester custom shop section of the catalog.

It's on page 47 of their 2002 catalog covering the short action calibers.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had not thrown my cataloque out, I would have been able to have confirmed that, the 260 and 358 'Ultra Light' mannlicher carbine was my interest, but not at a price around 2,850 IIRC.

I could be happy w/a Sako Mannlicher custom BBL for half if not less, but the gun was a nice looking one.

I think had Win produced them as std. items for a reasonable price, they would have sold fairly well, esp. in staple calibers like 243/7-08/308 but again, the 260 and 358 piqued my interest.

Thanks Doc for looking that up.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
FYI, Remington did offer the .260 in the M700 when the cartridge was introduced, but they offered with that abomidable (sp) detachable magazine they tried to foist on the shooting public. I've also seen at least one 700 ADL synthetic in this chambering, though that was probably for a limited run through a distributor. And lastly, My local funstore has one of the special CDLs (stainless, 24 inch barrel, etc) in stock that I've been all googly -eyed about but can't get past the $900 price tag.......

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If a guy pokes a well constructed bullet through the front shoulders of any North American big game with a 6mm-30cal inside of 400 yards(to be conservative), it drops like a rock and that my friends is not rocket science.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the 'minimalist' philosophy, "less is more", call me whatever, but it's nice to know you don't have to beat yourself up, while putting the hurt on the game we hunt. Not to mention I can shoot alot more at the range using 6BRs-7/08 sized rounds than T-Rex Magnums.

Oh, my ears thank me for sparing what is left, as my shoulder, and the pocket book does not mind using less powder to put all those practice rounds downrange. Heck I ever shoot/group and HIT my target better as well.

For Deer and under a 6-6.5mm bore using proper bullets and shot placement has alot to offer many shooters IMHO.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 260 is quickly gaining popularity with the "practical tactical" crowd, as its ballistics can match the 300 Win Mag with much less recoil at long range, plus it is far easier on barrels than the 6.5-284.

That being said, there are some more companies loading for it, such as Cor-Bon, HSM, and Black Hills. All are offering either Lapua Scenars or Sierra MatchKings as the loadings.

With the growing popularity of the AR 15 platform, the 6.5 Grendel is making inroads as well, and hence is pushing some of the manufacturers to offer more bullet selection in 26 caliber.

If we could get Hornady to offer a 70 grain VMax, and Barnes to offer a 107 grain TTSX, we'd be cooking with gas in the hunting fields.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Robusto,

Buy one in .243 and have it re-bored. You can end up with the M70 you want and with the twist rate and throat to your specs. Cheaper than any quality rebarrel. Thats how I got into a Tikka T3 in .260

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gmoney
Ask Lee?

Please don't.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.