-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is there a general rule for this? An optimum spot? I like a rifle that is a little muzzle heavy over butt heavy, but it seems with some of the lighter bolts today they feel butt heavy to me.

Appreciate your help!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
most here say right on the front action screw....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Where should a rifle balance?

In your hands (grin)...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I as gonna say over my day pack......grin

Dober

(and for me I want them to have some weight forward and not butt heavy)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Slightly barrel heavy is probably better for shooting offhand but I keep making my decision based more on how the rifle carrys in one hand. (I think this is called the "trail carry".) I want to be able to wrap my hand completely around the rifle at the balance point. This creates a problem with a scoped rifle if the balance point is right under the front scope mount ring. I'd rather have the balance point either far enough back so I can grasp the rifle around the front of the bolt under the scope or far enough forward so I can hold it forward of the front scope mount. The objective bell of the scope usually interferes with this carry unless you mount a scope with no objective bell. A low mounted scope pretty much prevents either carry. Fortunately my long neck lets me mount the scope pretty high and still have it immediately lined up with my eye.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is a heavy rifle primarily for bipod/rest use, I don't mind if the balance is a bit in front of the recoil lug. If it is a hunting rifle, I like it to be somewhere between the lug and the action screw.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On the front screw, on a mountain grizzly skull, is my preference.

[Linked Image]

Even a light rifle like this Rifles Inc. Lightweight Strata (5 lbs. 14 oz. as you see it above with mounts and scope) can be set up that way if you don�t cut the barrel too short. This particular rifle, which is chambered in .270 Winchester, has a 23-inch barrel and balances just right.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my rifles to have a little weight forward in the tube.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks again!

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you hunt with a loaded chamber and the gun in your hands all day at port arms, you'll probably appreciate a butt heavy gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Depends on the use. I actually load rounds in my butt cuff to move the balance back sometimes as most of my rifles are a little muzzle heavy.

For short range shots at moving deer I like it between my hands when carried at high port, in other words about two inches behind the front action screw.

For most use I like it on the recoil lug screw.

If it is sagebrush type country where you end up with some fairly long range off hand opportunities it should be more muszzle heavy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What they said, plus whatever feels best to you.

This may seem like a weasel statement, but the question of balance DOES depend on the person more than where the front screw is located. My wife, for instance, hates any rifle heavier than 6.5 pounds, and doesn't mind if they are a little muzzle-light, because she is not the he-man offhand shooter many guys are. She can shoot quite well offhand at 150 to 200 yards with a rifle that most guys would call a "wand" or some other derogatory term.

So shoot a lot of rifles offhand and see what works for you. There is no magic balance point.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yep. Balance is a personal thing. I shoot everything better with a slight muzzel heavy feel. But, that's just me.

O

Too old to suffer fools
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Personally, I've decided I like the balance point of a bolt action rifle to be about 6.0 to 6.5 inches in front of the trigger. That's with a scope and rings if the rifle is to be scoped.

Also personal is my preference for using the trigger as a reference point, since not all action screws are in the same place.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Again I appreciate the posts...as I've read your answers and played with this more, I still seem to like a rifle a little muzzle heavy and in the 7.5 to 8.5 pound range.

But as JB says, I get to enjoy more off hand shooting to find out what works best.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.