Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by elelbean
[
That's the exact same rifle I want with the same 1.5 Leupy. Just wondering if the new 7600's come with the new R3 recoil pads?

Not the ones I've seen. The plastic stock, have a Limbs Saver that bolts right on I think.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Today, I am going to try and find a decent scope mount for the 7600 today and may settle for a standard rail from Weaver or leupold if nothing else jumps out at me. I really do want to use QD rings.

I was hefting the rifle again today, point and trying to use the open sights. Whelen Nut and oulufinn are right, it is difficult to impossible to get down on the irons with the synthetic stock at least... The comb catches up on the bottom of my cheekbone...

I took their recommendation and called remington this morning and spoke with a parts guy, not customer service. He confirmed that the 20ga stock (PN 202001) would fit and WAS the actual stock on the patrol/police rifle that has no comb rise. I had to ask about swapping and he giggled and said sorry we can't do that. Being the haggler I tried the tack of "any chance on a pro deal?" also the gambit of stating quite honestly I have bought 3 new Remington 700's in the past year and a half (BDL SS .338, BDL 25-06, Ti 30-06). He was looking at the part numbers and said hold a second.... He came back and asked if would I promise to send the present buttstock back if they sent me the one off the Patrol rifle (has sling stud installed too, yippee) with me paying the return shipping cost. I said absolutely I would. Very nice act of trust on Remingtons part. Very nice indeed.

While I had him on the line I ordered a couple of the sling swivel mounts that replace the fore end screw, 2 incase I stumble onto another rifle in the future for a smokin deal. This is the sling mount assembly from the patrol/police 7600. The part numbers if anyone is interested is: 202006 for the swivel mount assy/$5.40 and the spacer required for the swivel mount 202007/$3.00. Very inexpensive and proper for the rifle.

I am very pleased with the outcome of a simple call and have to give Remington 2 thumbs up for swapping the stock at no cost.

Be safe and remember that the answer to the unasked question is always no....

Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 10/23/08.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
does the police stock have a cheek piece?

I don't know why the stocks are different on the plastic ones, but the deffenitaly are.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
tzone:

No the police/patrol rifle does not have the cheekpiece but does have the sling swivel stud installed...

Be safe
Patty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patty

Way to go! Nothing like a little sweet talk...LOL

Frankly, I'm impressed with Big Green actually doing that for you. Good to know their customer service is getting a bit better...well maybe just a wee bit.

I know you will like that rig better with the lower stock.

BTW--another option to consider for scope base/rings is what I have on a couple of my pumps--is the LOW Weaver Pivot mount/rings. I've used them for years with complete confidence. A good option if you want quick access to the irons.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Plesase, just don't put the see-thru mounts on. If you do, leave that high cheek piece stock on it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So far today, I picked up a basic Weaver mount for the rifle and put my new Leupold FXII 2.5 ultralight w/wide duplex on it. I went to (gag) buy some remmie ammo and the prices were up about $3 from last weekend so I got pissed and bought a box of 165gr Speer hot cores to try. I bought the Speer strictly on price point (least expensive in a 100 round box). I am first going to try IMR 4350 and if it goes well, great if not I have seen RL22 recommended in manuals. I am open to loads that folks have that are either 7600 specific or general 30-06 fodder. For now I will just be shooting paper this week and early Dec deer in western Pa...

Whelen Nut: My first rifle, a VZ24 based sporter had the swing over mounts and for a spell I reverser one so it wouldn't swing at all and it was stable enough.

tzone: I am not going with see throughs due to the concern you mention. i like a low mount with QD type mounts.

I am not sure if I will put my VXIII 1.5-5 on this or not. It is a beautiful scope and very sturdy but I will try the 2.5x first. If I get decent groups at 100 and can see well enough I will just use it. It is ultra compact and just over 1/2 the weight of the VXIII.

A fellow here had a Trijicon 1-4x or near that that looks like a perfect scope for my needs and I like the triangle reticle. His price seemed fair but I would have to sell my VXIII if I got that. My shooting budget is about used for this year...

Thanks and ideas, comments, suggestions, bitches, gripes and concerns are always welcome...

Be safe

Patty

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used the Warne return to zero detachable rings. midwayusa has the rings and one piece bases but I used the two piece bases that had to be special ordered.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
achildofthesky, get the Trijicon. You won't be disappointed. I have one on my 7600 carbine and love it.

Dale

The more you know, the less you need.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
theere is actually a question on our camp application asking whether you own a Pump rifle or Marlin, savage, Browning, Winchester lever action. The questionwas put on the application as a joke a long time ago but has stuck. we don't "require" you to own one of the aforementioned rifles to join but I think everyone in camp atleast owns one if not hunts with one primarily.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
257ROBT: I snoozed and loozed on the Trijicon... Oh well...
BPHC2: That is amusing. I recon Id make it on leverguns and now a pump...

Going to try and get some ammo loaded up today to try the -06 out. The next challenge will be to decide between the 2.5x scope or the 1.5x5... I guess the thought being able to get the job done well at all reasonable ranges with the 2.5x is appealing.

Be safe
Patty

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Personal choice really. But I've had no trouble with a 2.5 power scope and rock throwing range.

Have a few 2x7's and like them a lot. Not much difference between the two.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My thought on the 2.5x is target acquisition time never changing due to the fixed power. But then again I may just be full of S#!%. The goal is a good, reasonably accurate (hopefully very accurate) quick handling rifle with good punch to be able to shoot to a long range for me anyway , say 250 perhaps a careful 300 yards if time is not a factor. I am not likely to need to shoot longer ranges but the ability to do so when there is adequate time is a plus. I am honest with my self about what is long range and I cant ever see taking a shot beyond 300yds... Mostly cuz I can't SEE detail that well at those distances as well as I would like. I think that for this rifle anyway, a big honking variable would be a hindrance in weight, and maneuverability. I have bolt actions that can be employed if I plan on longer range needs. Just my thoughts...

Be safe and shoot often

Patty

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
mike103:

I am using the Warne QD rings on the 2.5x now...

Hope to get to shoot today. I reloaded up 20 each 165gr speers over 55 & 56gr's of IMR4350 in Win brass, CCI #200 primers... I will also shoot some Hornady light mag's 165's I have had sitting on the shelf for a couple years and see how they group. I have a half box of core lokt 150's and about the same Fed 150's and win 180's... With a smidge of luck I will get an indication of potential with one or more of those loads. It would be swell to get around an inch at 100 yards.

Be safe
Patty

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
165's will make that thing a magic wand. makes the legs dissapear right out from under 'em.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well, I got back a bit ago from shootin the -06. Sent about 35 downrange on a cool day with about a 5 knot wind. Walking the shots into the bull at 25 yards, check again at 50 and on to 100. With the 2.5 scope the best group (3 shot) was right at 1.5" at 100yds. I shoot off my range bag (camera bag) and don't use a bag for the rear of the rifle but support the butt with my left hand. Shooting in this manner automatically ejects the empties. Pretty sure I can get it a bit better with a more shooting and if I put the 1.5x5 on there I am certain I can shrink the groups. I noticed shooting 2 groups back to back seems to open things a bit.

Both the 55gr and 56gr of IMR 4350 shot about the same. The 18 1/2" barrel was somewhat loud but not obnoxiously so. The recoil pad on the rifle was plenty good enough with the temps in the upper 40's but I am guessing it will be more harsh below freezing, but I could be wrong... Still recoil was not a problem at all off the bench. I could easily shoot a hundred rounds without a problem at all.

More later this weekend.

So far, so fun...

Be safe

Patty

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Boy 257ROBT has me thinking about the Trijicon scopes. I would love one on my 35 Rem carbine but they are expensive! Even the low power model is over 500 bucks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to be of help again spending your $$$ Mike. I was on another board and a few of the guys are talking about the Burris Fastfire.

http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

I guess that there was something similar in the new Benoit video.

I love my Trijicon and 35 Rem carbine. My dad laughs that I have a $1000 200yd rifle, and thats on a good day.

Dale

Last edited by 257ROBT; 10/24/08.

The more you know, the less you need.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well I broke down and put the VXIII 1.5x5 on the 7600 today. I may get to try it if the range ain't too jammed otherwise it will be later this week. While the 2.5 is super compact I wanted to see if the groups will shrink a smidge with the 1.5x5 on 5 due to better resolution and a finer aiming point. Besides I still have all those bullets to burn and I will try those Hornady light mag 165's I had lying around...

257ROBT: wish I had been able to see the Trijicon scope in person to see how the reticle sat with me. It is an intriguing scope in what ever power. All the benefits of a lighted reticle with out the potential hassle of batteries and electronics...

Be safe and sling hot lead

Patty

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 257ROBT
Glad to be of help again spending your $$$ Mike. I was on another board and a few of the guys are talking about the Burris Fastfire.

http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

I guess that there was something similar in the new Benoit video.

I love my Trijicon and 35 Rem carbine. My dad laughs that I have a $1000 200yd rifle, and thats on a good day.

Dale

Well I don't need help spending my money I was at Cabelas in
Hamburg PA today! Only picked up a few odds and ends.

But you have been a bad example!

I'm not changing anything this year. The 7600's in 35 Rem carbine, 35 Whelen, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08 Rem, and my sons 30-06 carbine are all ready to go with Nikon pro staff scopes.

Number one son has the 30-06 carbine and number two son will use the 35 Whelen.

Had to send the Monarch 3X9 on my 7400 30-06 back to Nikon it was not holding zero. Re-mounted it and had it bore sighted but have to shoot it next week.

Never made friends with the 7400 280 Rem carbine. First the rear sight broke, then it's replacement fell off and was lost. New sight on and had sling installed, we will see.

Bought a 7600 in 6mm Rem this year but don't plan on doing anything with it this year.

Almost time! Can't wait!

MIKE.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.