Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I wonder if you could help. I live in Va. and have a new (2 yrs) BLR. The trigger could use some work to improve the long creepy pull. I understand this trigger can be improved by someone who knows their way around the mechanism. Is there anyone in my neck of the woods that has had experience with these triggers? I'm not against shipping the rifle out but would greatly prefer to deliver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's only one person I was able to find who would touch the danged things. grin That's Neil Jones of Neil Jones Custom Products. He's a great old guy. It won't be cheap, probably at least $100, but he'll give you a nice 3-lb trigger.

It was the difference between me keeping my BLR or not, but I did make sure it was a "shooter" before I invested in the trigger job.

Here's a link:

Neil Jones

Good luck sir!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you sir.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I spoke with Neil about the triggers on the BLR. Although the price may seem high there is alot to getting a BLR trigger to work and tearing them down several times is part of it and as I understand the BLR is a somewhat difficult rifle to tear into.

Also the initial creep is takeup in the trigger linkage that will be there after the trigger is worked on............at least that is the way Neil explained it to me.

Jeff...................was the creep lessened any after the trigger was worked on???

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's still a 2-stage trigger. The first stage is clean. The 2nd stage isn't "glass rod" crisp, but I also wouldn't say that it had egregious "creep", it's just kind of mushy compared to a top-notch trigger.

But more to the point, for ME, is that a stock BLR trigger is just unworkable. It's horrible. Mine is LIGHT YEARS better post-Neil.

A trigger job on a BLR is a big undertaking. I believe every word Neil says about that. He's the ONLY guy I could find to do one. His trigger work (on other triggers I mean) is kinda famous BTW; the man does know triggers...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I sent Neil an e-mail last night. Believe me I spent enough on this rifle(its one of the special run stainless/laminated stock versions) to justify money well spent on a trigger. It would be nice to have a reasonable pull instead of something I can do chin ups on! Three pounds, great!

Many thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What caliber is it?

I don't know how fast he does emails, but if you call him, you'll probably get to talk to him right then and there...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The rifle went up last week, got there friday. It is a .308. I have a Burris 4X short mag scope on it though the sights are so nice and the lines of the gun are so nice I am constantly tempted to take the scope off.
Real nice Va tree stand/walking staulking rifle.

Last edited by southwend; 08/13/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had to pull the rear sight off mine to get the scope to mount up right, so once I did that there wasn't any reason for a front sight, either.

It is a minor annoyance of mine with the BLR. They seem to have sort of split the difference between scope and irons as far as the comb of the stock- it isn't really right for either one of them. At least not on my straight-grip .358 or pistol-grip .325. Not a BIG deal.

I am very interested in what you think of the trigger when it gets back, for obvious reasons <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would only consider scopes with straight tubes to clear the sights. I am quite satisfied with a bright 4X. I used two piece weaver bases so I can remove the scope and (just barely)get an open sight picture over the weavers. The stainless BLR's have the williams style fire sights for a front bead which is low light tree stand perfect 90% of the time. I will send a report to you that may include a picture of a target if noteworthy. I suspect that the 1.5 to 1.75 inch groups will improve since I won't be doing chinups on the trigger anymore.
Neil Jones and I had a couple of conversations (real nice guy, staightforward) and he was very forthcoming about what could and could not be done with this job. I'll still have every bit the long take up just by the nature of the interaction of the trigger parts. It will just be smoother and the let off though not glass rod like will be a semi-crisp 2.5-3 lbs.

2.5-3lb. BLR trigger? I won't know what to do with myself

Last edited by southwend; 08/14/08.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any BLR I buy in the future, when I'm figuring out the cost of the rifle, it will include a Neil Jones trigger job.

The accuracy is there with BLR's; they just need a trigger good enough to not screw it up!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am also very interested in the results of your trigger job. Let us know how you like it. Final cost? Turn-around time? Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sakoluvr,

I'll report MY results. 2 week turnaround. $75 plus shipping. A completely usable trigger pull in the 3-lb range.

I was the first BLR he'd done in a looong time, and after he did mine, he said he wouldn't touch another one for $75, so I'm just guessing that he raised the cost some <g>.

Mine was a couple years ago. I told him I was going to send him some people. Personally, I think anyone with a good accurate BLR should get in on this while Neil is still doing this stuff. He is not a young man, at least not that I could tell from talking on the phone with him!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jeff.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Neil called me this Thurs., to let me know the gun was ready. He received the rifle last Friday. Total cost is $140.00 shipping included. Take out shipping from PA to VA I figure the actual job is right at $120.
I'll settle up with him on Monday and will probably have the gun back within two days. Maybe post a picture of a group or two.
Jeff-O thanks again for the good information.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are most welcome sir!

Neil is one of the good guys IMHO and I hope you like the trigger, and tell lots of other BLR-type people...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.