Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am contemplating my daugther's first rifle.
Background:
Petite seven year old.
Hunting: Central Texas Axis Deer, South Texas White Tail, and South Texas Hog. Shots: 80-100 yards -senderos with a rest.
I want to get her a rifle she can use until she is a young adult. I am contemplating a 308 because it would be best for Axis. I figure we can practice with Remington's managed recoil rounds and maybe put a regular load in on the big day - or maybe just stick to managed recoil. The other option is to get a 243 and just be sure to use a very high quality bullet. The advantage of the 243 is we all (most of us) recognize it as gentle on the shooter and adequate on deer-sized game.
I am leaning towards the 308-managed recoil option because she can grow into the caliber and use it on a wider array of game. It may also be advantageous because it could be more effective if there is less than perfect shot placement (we are talking about a kid here).
Please give input.
I realize the "rifle for my daughter" inquiry has been posted many times, but I would like input on the two caliber scenearios I described.
Let's keep the discussion to these two rounds. I prefer these classic rounds and don't want a 7-08 or 260. Thanks.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have found that kids that practice with an adult who is knowledgeable with firearms are some of the best and most disciplined shooters out there.
That being said I would suggest to go ahead with the .243 with good premium bullets and practice, practice, practice.
I think with her small stature even when she gets older and decides that the "managed recoil" days are over, even the .308 in a lightweight rifle is going to kick her around, which she might not enjoy and wish for a lighter kicking rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A light weight 308win may have too much recoil with full power loads even after she grows up.On the other hand,the 243 is not a great choice for larger game.

I know that you don't want a 7mm-08,but with managed recoil loads,it would be the most logical choice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Axis deer aren't that big or that tough.

243 or 260 would be fine. I'd lean toward the 260 if she's going to shoot bigger game. Put a good decelerator or limbsaver on it, and it should be fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with stubblejumper. The 7mm-08 with Managed Recoil loads would be the ticket.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by M. Saenz

Let's keep the discussion to these two rounds. I prefer these classic rounds and don't want a 7-08 or 260. Thanks.

I agree with you guys but,.........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First thing I thought of also.
My nine year will be using a .243 this year for Central TX deer & pigs ( with cut down stock and Pachmayr Decelerator pad), but as soon as possible she will be moving up to a 25-06, 260, or 7/08 for hunting S. TX.
Those .270 managed recoil loads shoot great in my Stevens.

stumpy

Last edited by stumpy; 08/18/08.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would go with the .243, good ammo, and not look back.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
243 would be my choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have your daughter use a gun thats suitable for her size and ability. At 7 yo its hardly a .22 LR. As she grows change her rifle to whats suitable.

As for the CF a .243 would be ideal for a long time. When she gets big enough she can use heavier calibers. The .243 would be ideal for varmints as well and suitable with 55 gr bullets started slower for a while. When I was a kid I shot small animals. Thats how we usually start.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've set my own daughter up with a Model 70 stainless 308 in a shortened Fwt stock. I've worked up some 130 Hornady Spire points and Bluedot loads that are amazingly accurate and she shoots them quite well, being very mild on the shoulder but should prove quite lethal out to 200 yards. Her shots will be within 100 yards.

Here's a picture of the target I shot while working up a load for her: [Linked Image]

The really amazing thing about this load is the gun had been a .75" shooter for all the years I've had it. The accuracy had gone south recently with 1.5-2" groups being the norm. I was set to re-barrel the gun but since she won't be needing or wanting to run any full powered loads through it anytime soon, I can put that on hold for a while while she is in her Bluedot stage. Once she gets out of it, I may be in it, so that little 308 may never get a new barrel. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
RickyD,

That sounds like a great setup and very accurate.
Will those bullets expand at a "Bluedot" loads? I have heard from the factory the Managed Recoil Loads from Remington are loaded with thinner jacketed bullets that expand at super slow speeds.

stumpy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by M. Saenz

So you�re buying a rifle for your daughter but don�t want to consider the cartridges that might be best suited for HER?

At a petite 7, a .243 Win would get my vote over a .308, even with reduced recoil loads.

If it were my kid I�d probably get a .260 or 7mm-08 and go for reduced recoil loads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Regardless of which caliber you choose I would not buy a rifle with less than a 22 inch barrel. The 20 inch barrels on youth models create a lot of muzzle blast and that tends to scare kids more than the recoil.

This is what I would do: Get the .243 and start off with 55 grain bullets or, better yet, reduced loads. If you scare your kid in the beginning, she may never want to hunt or shoot again. Seven years old is very young and she is most likely going to be very scared to shoot a high powered rifle. It's not a chance I would want to take and there is no need to rush her. You might even consider going with a .223. My 12 year old daughter was scared to shoot the youth model .243 I bought her so I bought her a little single shot .223 and though she was a little scared of it, she shot it very well. She is going to shoot the .243 this year but she still tells me she is scared. By the way, she dropped a five point in his tracks at about 65 yards with the little .223 last year.

If you rush her, or scare her, you may lose her forever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say definately .243. I bought my son a Winchester model 70 compact in .243, and topped it off with a Luepold 4x in Burris rings. Even at 10 years old, the recoil was starting to get to him if he shot much more than a few rounds. Not enough to stop him from shooting, but enough that he started to develop a flinch. I added a limbsaver pad for practice sessions, and that solved the problem.

At your daughter's age and build, were it me, I'd go with the .243 with a nice recoil pad like a limbsaver, some good hearing protection, and work up some light loads. Should be .223 like in felt recoil to her, and she'll be able to shoot it all day long.

Come hunting season, load up some nice 100 gr. partitions. If she ever gets a critter in her sights, she'll never feel the recoil as we all know. As long as she doesn't get scoped, it's all good.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by stumpy
RickyD,

That sounds like a great setup and very accurate.
Will those bullets expand at a "Bluedot" loads? I have heard from the factory the Managed Recoil Loads from Remington are loaded with thinner jacketed bullets that expand at super slow speeds.

stumpy
While I haven't chron'ed these loads yet, I don't believe they will have any problems expanding properly at Bluedot velocities which should run around 2500 fps. We'll do some chrono work later this fall after our unique monsoon season is over. I believe a heavier bullet, such as a 150, would expand quite well too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. I haven't tried any "reduced" loads on the pigs yet.

"Regardless of which caliber you choose I would not buy a rifle with less than a 22 inch barrel. The 20 inch barrels on youth models create a lot of muzzle blast and that tends to scare kids more than the recoil. "

Great advice.

stumpy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really dose not matter a whole lot, as long as the rifle fits her and is not to heavy to hold. This is a 7 year old child, so she may not be able to hold the weight of a normal rifle. You may and to do some looking around for a suitable rifle. For some reason Kids get left out in this regard, they get handed guns that don't fit or are not user friendly and we then wonder why the young to take to the sport?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Savage bolt would be ideal with the barrel nut. Start with the .243 and if she feels like more power would be needed then buy a swap barrel.

I'm not sure why you won't consider other less "classic" cartridges. If it's classic you want then the 7x57 takes the cake.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, my .270 Win. with the Managed Recoil loads has less perceived recoil to me than my .243 with standard ammo. Muzzle blast alone from a .243 is a beatch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.