-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I know this is pretty basic, but what is a "dagga" bull (or dugga, have seen it spelled both ways)? Is that a bachelor bull without a herd?<P>Have seen the word many times but have never seen a definition.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jim,<P>A Dagga or Dugga bull is an old bull that has separated from the herd and derives the name from the mud that is collected on his hide and boss. Dagga or Dugga is the mud that certain natives use in the construction of there huts. I believe it is a mixture of mud and cow dung.<P>Perry

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Jim,<P>Perry has pretty much covered your question, thought I'd through in a few points as well; "dagga bulls" are generally older animals that have left the herd. They don't typically run around completely on their own due the increased risk from predators, often you will find them in pairs or small groups of 5 to 7 animals.<P>Given that they are usally older than herd animals i.e 12 years plus, a trio of dagga bulls has a collective wisdom at their disposal that makes them a challenge to hunt.<P>I can recall occassions where I've spent weeks after two different groups of dagga bulls to no avail - they would spook themslves, are hyper-sensitive to wind changes etc, I guess that's how they get old and big.<P>As for dagga - it is mud as Perry suggests. "Dagga" is also the Fanakalo word for concrete while "[bleep]" means put; laying or putting down concrete is thus termed as "[bleep] dagga" - contrary to popular belief, this is not what my tracker uttered when we were chased by a specific dagga bull last year [Linked Image]<P>Regards<P>------------------<BR>Peter V<BR>Shafa Safaris

C
C
I think dagga is the right spelling, but I've seen it so many ways I don't know, either. Properly, a "dagga bull" or "dagga boy" is an old bull who has left the herd and lives alone, probably past breeding, may be with a couple of other bulls. You also run into young bulls in bachelor groups, and bulls of all ages in small bachelor herds--the largest I have seen is about a dozen, all bulls. Sometimes a "dagga bull" will be a spectacular trophy--but more often the horns will be worn down and/or broken. Anyway, that's my spin. Best, Craig B.

ctb
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
As Craig rightly points out, often these old bulls have worn down horn tips .... they are bulls that have left the herds and are mostly referred to as "old dugga boys" ..... dagga is not the correct spelling, as "dagga" in african terminology is a joint or marijuana. Dugga is "mud" <P>happy hunting<P>------------------<BR>Peter B ...<BR>Balla Balla Safaris<P>..africa is in my soul .. my heart weeps for africa..

Peter B ...<BR>Balla Balla Safaris<P>..africa is in my soul .. my heart weeps for africa..
IC B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Craig B.<P>Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your books, Safair Rifles and Lions Roar.<P>Perry

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Peter,<P>For what its worth and at the risk of splitting hairs, cannabis or marijuana is called tshangu in the nguni languages (Zulu, Xhosa etc)i.e smoking a joint would be "bema tshangu. Mud in the same langauge group is know as uDaku (Xhosa) and daka (Zulu) - as a youngster I grew up speaking these langauges, never could spell damn though. <P>Miners and construction workers call concrete mix dagga/dakka in Fanakalo (our lingua franca)as a derived from daka/ udaku. I did a stint working for a mining firm and we mixed plenty of the stuff.<P>Dagga as you have pointed out is also the local slang term for cannabis. So I guess the difference lies in the pronounciation; "daggaah" as the slang for cannabis and "dakkaah" for mud from which the dagga/dugga bulls draw their name. <P>If so inclinded, one could argue that neither dugga nor dagga would be correct but that is should be "daka bull". Take your choice, I guess we are speaking about the same thing [Linked Image]<P>Sala kahle<P>------------------<BR>Peter V<BR>Shafa Safaris<p>[This message has been edited by Peter V (edited February 23, 2001).]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the replies. Interesting lingual, uh, linguistic, um, I mean lexiconigraphical, hell, talkin' lessons as well.<P>Hmmm, seems like one could step into a pronunciation trap. Much like GI's in Saigon - where the Vietnamese words for ice tea and urine are only a vowel inflection apart. Be sure you get what you think you ask for!<P>Well, to avoid shooting a joint and smoking a bull, how about if I just say somthing like:<P>"Geez, that's one flippin' big buffalo over there!"<p>[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited February 23, 2001).]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Peter V,<P>You will have to make exceptions for me, being born in PE and living for over 20 years in Bulawayo and as an "old Rhodesian" from the Smith regime maybe my memory is starting to fade (-: and my chilapalapa lingo is also not the best anymore !!<P>as they say in SA ..lekker lekker fire cracker<P><P>------------------<BR>Peter B ...<BR>Balla Balla Safaris<P>..africa is in my soul .. my heart weeps for africa..

Peter B ...<BR>Balla Balla Safaris<P>..africa is in my soul .. my heart weeps for africa..
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Peter,<P>I know what you mean, I spent some time with my mates a while back going through the old haunts and reminising over some "shumbas" about the times we spent running up and down the gomos after fellows in the hot Zambezi valley.<P>We have a bunch of ex-Rhodies running the sugar estate in Sena next to our conession in Mozambique, real party animals who keep us sane in between bouts of work.<P>Remeber Rex Starr and his Chilapalapa songs, it's a bit of a hoot listening to them now and again.<P>Go well,<P><P>------------------<BR>Peter V<BR>Shafa Safaris

IC B3

T
T
Peter V:<P>On your pics of Coutada buff hunting there is a pic of a guy you call Johan VS. Is that "Shotgun" doc Johan?<P>Wrex tarr tapes can be had thru John Edmond with some old Rhodie music and nonsense to keep the memories going.<P> <BR>

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Ten75,<P>Johan VS is indeed "shotgun" Doc Van Staden, Johan and I have been hunting, flyfishing and wingshooting partners for some time... also been to the "Grand" in Vandalia a few times, he was team captain one year and I the next year.<P>Where do you know him from??<P>Cheers <P>Peter V<P>

T
T
Pete V:<P>It's a very small world and no doubt if we run into each other at some stage we will see that we actually may have met as well.<P>Do you have a consession in Coutada?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Craig Boddington,<BR>Craid, I am glad to see you on board. I have been on another board for about a year, but am new over here. Stay tuned.<BR>George

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<P> Boy, this is becoming the "place to be" for Africa forumns. Hopefully we can stay "know it all" and "flamer" free like that "other sight".<P> Craig that .375 Ultra pictured in your "A Duo" article, this month's G&A, is shown both in righty AND Lefty. Is the lefty actually going to be available and which one did you hunt with ?<P> Is the .375 U really going to compete with the H&H when chambered in the 22" and 24" tubed rifle's guy's usually hunt Africa with ? I must admit tho I really liked the 26" rifle, and the performance number's of it, in the article.<P> What do the rest of you guy's think ?<P> How dangerous would a "dagga" Bull, or one of those advanced years, be as compared to younger Bull's ? Are their habits any different ?<P> thanks..........Rick

"Like with any House of Prostitution we ought to charge admission at the United Nations building"

"Even better, we should bulldoze it down and put a public shooting range in its place." "We'd be a safer country for it".
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hey George I got an invite over here also and glad to see some old friends allready got here before me.....Think I know all on this thread.<P>Dagga boys are not necessarily outcasts of the herd they just go off by themselves during the day, for the most part so not to be bothered by the cows and calves..they slip in and breed the cows in estrus during the night..Its a cattle trait...Some of the really old whipped bulls stay out of the herd and are soon lion bait or whatever....I prefer to hunt bachlor groups over herd groups as it is just more to my idea of Buffalo hunting and usually the bulls are larger, but thats not written in stone....<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<BR> Well listen, if you guy's want to keep talking Buffalo dont let me stop you.......Peter what would your "representative animal" weight ?........Rick.......BTW, I now have ALL the heads back from my "'99 RSA dreamhunt",and my wife is complaining my son and I are spending to much time in the "viewing room"!

"Like with any House of Prostitution we ought to charge admission at the United Nations building"

"Even better, we should bulldoze it down and put a public shooting range in its place." "We'd be a safer country for it".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,210
Posts18,466,186
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.