Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We had some friends over yesterday, and the guys were itching to do a little dove hunting on opening day, so we headed out despite the fact that there aren't many birds around yet.

A friend and his dad, along with my boys and I, started out walking some fields, but it was pretty slow and my boys are 3 and 5, so I decided to head for a water hole and see if the boys could sit still long enough to get in a little shooting. My buddies were having enough action that they were enjoying themselves, so we headed up to the north end of the place and let them continue walking fields with a plan that they would end up at one tank and my boys and I would hunt the other.

The boys and I parked the pickup a good piece from the tank (pond to y'all non-Texans...grin), and headed up the draw behind the tank dam thinking we might jump some birds on the way in. The boys were tromping along behind me, bb-gun and toy shotgun in hand, ear-muffs firmly in place to keep them from being deaf like Daddy, and having a ball.

As we eased into the draw, I noticed a deer several hundred yards beyond the tank and heading in our direction - obviously coming to water. Nothing unusual, but a second look showed not one of our usual Hill Country whitetails, but a flash of white on the brisket and spots that I could begin to make out even from quite a distance - an axis deer!

My wheels began to turn as I remembered the free ranging axis that we had seen on 3 or 4 other occassions through the past 4 to 5 years. A few weeks earlier, my Dad and I had seen a little bunch that included 4 or 5 bucks and a few does, with one buck that looked like a real bruiser. We were moving horses at the time, and had neither the time nor the right rifle to do more than look, but we got a pretty good view of him - enough that I swapped my usual 223 coyote killer truck gun for my Remington Mountain Guide 243 stoked with 85 grain Barnes TSX's. I had been keeping an eye peeled for these axis deer, but in years past they had never showed up to stay - always passing through not to be seen for weeks or months or even years later. Accordingly, I didn't much think I'd see them again, and hadn't thought too much about it other than questioning whether Dad and I should have stopped working and started hunting when we had the chance!

Well, my regrets at the opportunity lost turned quickly to hope at a new chance at this beautiful old buck, so I stopped the boys and we hustled back to the truck where I traded my 12 gauge for the Remington 243. This rifle loves 85 grain TSX's and was dialed in, but I had yet to take an animal with it. I hoped that was about to change.

We slipped down into the draw and began to approach the stock tank for the second time. I noted gratefully that the wind was perfect - in our face and quartering just a bit - and that the afternoon sun over my left shoulder was just about perfect as well. This stalk was taking shape, but I wondered if I could pull it off with my 3 year old and 5 year old hunting buddies. I didn't worry about it much, though, since I doubted the big boy was with the lone axis doe I had seen, anyway.

As we approached the tank, the boys had fallen behind me a bit, so I was able to crawl to a little cedar and peer through before they arrived. There was an axis deer at the water hole, but I saw no antlers. I eased back as the boys caught up, grateful for the dam which afforded such perfect cover for our approach. Their eyes were sparkling with excitement, and I cautioned them with hand motions to be quiet and stay low.

Motioning for them to crawl behind me, I circled west to get better cover and to line up the sun a little better behind us on the one deer I had seen. As I crawled back up and peered through a very thick cedar which screened us from the deer, I saw 4 or 5 animals at waters edge, with one buck in velvet with only small nubs showing looking right at me from about 50 yards. I froze, and a minute later, he moved up to drink. As he did, another buck appeared through the limbs which hid me. It was the big boy!

I couldn't believe his mass and body size, or the height of his antlers that seemed to tower three feet above his head. I didn't have long for buck fever to set in, because he had finished his drink and was leaving. What a kind providence of God that the timing was perfect, allowing us to approach undetected and arrive just as the animals were drinking. The low water of the tank due to the drought had required the little herd of axis to move low into the tank to get to water, which hid us perfectly as we approached. The hurricane in the gulf had a north wind blowing - almost unheard of for late summer in Texas. I really believed the Lord had blessed us in a special way to allow this experience and successful stalk with my young sons.

As the biggest buck turned away and started out of the tank and up the hill, I knew I was going to have to be quick to get on him. I stood as he passed behind a little more cover, and eased left a slow half step. I was still screened almost completely, but now I could take an off-hand shot over the brush if one became available. This opened up a good shooting lane in the direction he was headed. There was no possibility for a rest, but I hoped at 70 yards I wouldn't need it. I brought the rifle to my shoulder, the Kahles 3-9 set at its normal 6 power.

The sight picture jumped into focus as the big buck moved across open ground heading uphill to thick cedar, and I snicked the safety forward and slid the cross hair to his shoulder, confident the 85 grain TSX would break the near shoulder and reach vitals. I touched off the shot as I swung the rifle to match his walk, and heard the bullet whack him solidly in the shoulder. He half reared, and plunged up the hill and out of sight, taking the rest of the herd with him. I watched him as far as I could follow him, and felt confident when I saw through the brush that it appeared that the rest of the herd had stopped their run at less than 100 yards and begun to mill a bit. When they moved off, another buck was in the lead, and I didn't see the big boy.

I turned to my boys. My 5 year old exclaimed, "I think you got him, Daddy! I saw where he went!"

I told the boys that we needed to wait a bit and not push him, but that I thought we had made a good hit and had him. I had hardly finished the sentence when my phone rang - it was my Dad asking where we were hunting so he could come join us. Five minutes earlier, and the phone's ring would have blown the whole stalk. Not luck, in my opinion, but providential blessing in the timing, yet again.

We waited for Dad. When he arrived a few minutes later, we headed to the spot of the shot. A good blood trail was soon spotted as we headed toward the last place I had seen him, and we found him easily. I don't know a whole lot about axis deer, but I know this is a good one, especially for a free range buck that just showed up on the ranch where I was raised.

[Linked Image]

The boys were pretty excited, to say the least!

[Linked Image]

My Dad was pretty happy, as well! I'm sure grateful for his photo assistance (he's getting pretty good!), and I never would have loaded this brute by myself. As it was we nearly ruptured something with two of us.

[Linked Image]

A few more for good measure!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's the water hole in the background - we drug him back this way to get the truck to him - but he still didn't go over 70 or 80 yards.

[Linked Image]

Look at the neck on him...he's a bruiser, and an old timer as well.

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/ChildrenDeerCovRanch08RobertsSpr-1.jpg[/img]

Of course, I had to get him out of the Texas heat in a hurry. Again, providentially, the owner of the cold storage facility happens to be an official scorer for Trophy Game Records of the World Records of Exotics. I knew he was a good buck, but when we pulled up, he said, "That's a big axis!" He immediately went to get his tape and scored him while we were there. According to the scoring system, 134" is Gold Medal, IIRC from what the scorer told me. This buck scored over 154, with main beams well over 33 inches, and all other points over a foot long, and great mass. I really like his matching little stickers, as well. I don't obsess over that stuff, especially if I just like the way a buck looks, but it is icing on the cake on an absolute dream of an afternoon hunt. Our hunting season is off to quite a start!

To take this beauty, while dove hunting, with my sons pulling off a pretty neat stalk with me, as it played out as described above...well, it's hard for me to put into words.

I reckon the best I can do is, "Thank you, Lord!"

DJ

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I can say is it is way too cool that you were fortunate enough to have your young ones along!

The one cool thing I've learned from taking my Grandson who just turned 9 is they totally enjoy the hunt. The could care less about the record books, bullet BC's, prem bullets and such gack.

They just love the heck out of getting out there and doing it.

Good 4 you 4 taking them along!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by DJTex

I reckon the best I can do is, "Thank you, Lord!"

DJ

He's the only reason I have the game I have killed in my lifetime, what a beautiful buck, I also dont know too much about Axis deer but he looks bigger than anything I have ever seen.
Congrats and thanks for the story.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The picture of the boys standing behind the buck with the bb gun is a classic for the ages.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That picture of you, your boys, and your Axis buck is one of the best hunting photos I've ever seen. No greater trophy to be had on this earth. I can't wait untill my son is old enough to accompany me chasing fish and game.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your buck has great main beams, great brow tines, and great caudal tines...he also has great mass. And the venison from Axis deer is second to none. That's a really nice buck, and your pictures are great, especially the one of your boys and you with the deer. Congratulations.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
WOW! That's a day you, and both boys will remember for life. As others have said, it's a great thing that your young boys were part of that memorable (if not planned) hunt.

That's a GREAT animal. Thanks for sharing the story and pix. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
DJ,

Great job across the board...

Very, very nice axis...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awsome stuff, great pics, great Axis, just great....

Say, how did the little 85 grainer do as far as damage.. We know its dead, but as far as internal/bone crushing?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
very nice! great memories for yourself and those two lads. congrats......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, that is a HOG! Great day with the kids, for sure. I know everyone's DYIN to hear how the TSX performed, so I'll be the first to ask.... what did the insides look like?

OK, I wasnt the first!!

Last edited by 721_tomahawk; 09/02/08.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great story and great pics. Thanks. That's my kind of dove hunt!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that the Lord has blessed you, and giving credit to Him is appropriate. Probably you are a great influence on your boys both in the field and in The Book, and spiritual side of life. I get all warm and fuzzy when I se a Dad taking his kids hunting. Sharing your life with them will pay dividends in both these and latter years. Great hunt but greater memories.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job!! I've got one maybe 32 inches, never scored him as I don't believe in that, to me its all in the hunt and your story tells me you got a trophy regardless, this one is big enough no one will argue, will eat great, and look great on the wall! I like the mass too.

85tsx are pretty high in my book to so far.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just think of the "My daddy's the best hunter alive" stories they can now tell just as school is gearing back up! Even better, they helped.

Having taken several whitetails with the 243Win and 85 TSX's, they kill far better than one would think 85's could.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What a great story! I expect none of you will ever forget the day "Daddy shot that huge Axis over by the tank".
That is a very good Axis. I killed a good one several years ago, but I think your is a little bigger.
Thanks for sharing.

stumpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I helped a bud take his first black bear (acutally it was part blonde and part red) this spring with a 85 TSX out of my 6/06.

It absolutely crunched the bruin and the bone and tissue destruction no doubt got my attention...

Now back to the original story!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys! I agree - the most important part of the hunt was having the boys with me and emphasizing how grateful we should be to the Lord for His blessing and the opportunity to have such an experience together.

The boys are just almost always with me if there's any way they can be (for most of my play and lots of my work) - it's funny, so many neat things and experiences have come our way just because we were together. I'm so grateful they can be with me so much! It's more work looking after them, and sometimes what I'm doing is too dangerous or too mature or too something, but making the extra effort to have them if possible is always worth it!

More details later...but the little TSX's mulched his vitals and shattered his shoulder - didn't flatten him like might have happened with a little more weight out of my 7-08 or 270, but he didn't run 100 yards.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Much appreciated, and I'm pleased y'all are enjoying the story and pics.

DJ

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
DJ,

Well, you're certainly off to the right start! That's awesome, man! Beautiful deer, great experience, and with the boys along to make it all perfect! You got it right on all the little details, too. When that small stuff gets provided, I don't ask why, I just thank the Good Lord for it!

Congratulations to you and the boys!! What a memory to start the season with!

May the blessings continue . . . wink

Best -
Andy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice buck. And think, hunting in short sleeves and blue jeans is just unheard of 'round here! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 33 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.