Will do.

Thanks!

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, some of them are snobs.

Some of them only know what they know and won't work on anything else.

Some of them want to mark up parts and will steer you to an action they can sell you a bunch of accessories for.

Some of them are over-priced, over-opinonated, and over-rated.

Some of them do very good work, price it reasonably, and work with the customer to get what the customer wants. Those are the ones I use.

There isn't anything very much different with a Ruger action than a Mauser or Winchester action. A gunsmith who tries to steer you away from it has some other motive other than doing work and helping a customer get what he wants.

JMHO

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Seafire

Some gunsmiths just become snobs with what they will work with...

It has nothing to do with being a snob;it has to do with the amount of work involved getting the action squared up properly,and making it suitable for a particular purpose,so they have a happy customer at the end of the project.Some will work on a Ruger,and some won't.Does not make them a "snob".

Jim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
people diss rugers, but those same people talk about how great pre 64's are, I don't know about you but the pre 64's I have looked at sure have a lot of tool marks and IMO aren't machined all that great, remingtons to me are very boring, they don't have as good a safety. I wanted to do up 2 custom rifles, I went ahead and went with a remington for few reasons, the gun smiths I talked to said don't use a ruger, there are so many things out there for remingtons, stocks, scope bases, triggers, fireing pins, etc. ruger has very little, I wanted to go with a ruger so bad, but the smiths just didn't wanna do it.

S
S
I bought a new M77VT MKII in .25-06 a couple months back and was very impressed right out of the box. It has a bit of overtravel in the trigger, but really, other than that I couldn't be happier. With factory loads, I am averaging just under 1 MOA. That thing is an unbelievable coyote rifle. Half way through the second box of ammo I Killed a coyote at 370 yards. I never was able to pull that off with the old 223 I had before this gun. Here in the next month or so I plan to start experimenting with hand loads through it and see what I can really pull out of the gun.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with mine. I've been a big fan of the M77 for a long time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread has me thinking about pulling the barrel off my ruger 350 rem mag and putting a 7wsm barrel on.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Seafire

Some gunsmiths just become snobs with what they will work with...

It has nothing to do with being a snob;it has to do with the amount of work involved getting the action squared up properly,and making it suitable for a particular purpose,so they have a happy customer at the end of the project.Some will work on a Ruger,and some won't.Does not make them a "snob".

I have talked to a few of the 'smiths that won't work on Ruger rifles. They all said the same thing. The receivers are so tough from the investment casting that they are unwilling to invest in the tools tough enough to grind and cut on 'em.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I talked to greg tannel and he says he does um, even is willing to do his bolt sleeving process on them. that could have changed my mind from going with a rem 700

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Terry, one of the most tack-driving hunting rifles I've ever seen was my best friends 257 Wby built on a Ruger MKII stainless action... Brown Precision did the work, screwing on a Shilen tube and bedding it in their stock. Flat-out scary accurate rifle, Wby freebore and all. We ran the old 90 grain X bullets and it'd keep five of them in the .4's at an obscene velocity with a top load of RL22... as you'll recall, the original X's weren't exactly known for good accuracy grin

Any action can be squared by a good smith... some are just lazy and/or only know how to square metal toilet paper tubes (Rem 700's). The real magic is in the barrel.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mcknight77: Don't get me wrong in what I said;I happen to be a Ruger fan,and if I had to pick a rifle for big game hunting in the "popular" price range it would,HANDS DOWN, be a Ruger Hawkeye today,out of the stuff CURRENTLY manufactured.I admire the ruggedness, and simplicity of the design,the scope mount arrangements,etc.And I suspect they will handle a lot of use and abuse while delivering just fine in the field under about any condition.These characteristics are a lot more important(to me) than 1/4" accuracy,the elusive magic associated with some new wonder cartridge, or some other contemporary trends in rifle building.

Were I to build today,I'd prefer a M70,mostly because I have used them successfully for a long time.My response regarding some smiths refusing to work on Rugers was not a reflection of my opinion of the actions themselves,but merely a report of what I've been told by some smiths.Mark Bansner's shop, for example,does not make a stock for Ruger Hawkeye's,but I can hardly consider them to be "snobs".

I don't see the point in refering to these guys as "snobs",because that tells us nothing whatsoever.A more reasonable approach would be to say,these guys have preferences in what they want to work on,are tooled up for some things and not for others,and prefer to specialize in working on particular actions because they get good results for their clients working on some things, but not others.

When it comes to custom work,I learned a long time ago that it would make no sense, for example, to ask a Dale Goens or Lon Paul to build a Palma Match gun,and get annoyed if they said "no" to such a request;and if a smith says he prefers not to work on a Ruger,go find a smith who will. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/06/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
576 members (12308300, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.