24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When re-finishing a stock do you guys use something to fill the pores before applying oil?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
BP-B2

O
O
If the finish has been removed or the pores exposed,
it will provide a better overall finish to the stock
if you use filler on it.

I haven't posted much here on this site, but, I've
finished many and restocked many firearms.

So, in that case I always use a filler and at times
use the stocks own wood sanding dust to fill the pores
with.

One very good filler I have used and recommend and
also very glad it is still available, is, from Midway.

Art's Stock Filler. It is actually the old Herters
stock filler formula and had good color and very easy
to use for filling. I had used that filler a lot back
in the Herters days. You can buy it in clear, French Red
or Walnut colors.
Don

NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have found that if you use 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper and the finish you are to use on the stock, you can sand the wood for a littel bit. The grit takes some wood off and it combines with the finish and makes light paste that fills the pores.After sanding, lightly wipe and let dry over night.Repeat as required Works very well. Not my idea as guy on another forum put me on to it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Art's French Red liquid is the best filler I have ever used. I used it back in the 60s when Herter's sold it. Now, if only they would sell the Leige finish it would make a superb stock. Thanks...Bill.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Regardless of the finish I always wet sand at least 3 coats fo True oil clear sealer into a stock, or until every pore is filled..then I finish the stock with Brownells Gun-Save-R spray on low gloss finish, and I wet sand that in also..the final finish will be a egg shell or high gloss, whichever I desire..

I might add that I soak the 320 grt. finished stock in True Oil until it shines (no dull spots) then I hang it for a month or more to cure, then start the wet sanding and finish..A trick taught to my by a famous gunstock maker, and it works.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've only done one walnut stock, and used no filler at all. Once you have the finish off, use water and wet/dry sand paper to sand it a few times to raise the gain and get that out of the way. After that use the oil and wet/dry sandpaper to sand/polish/oil the stock. Let dry for about 24 hours between applications. Just keep doing it until you have worked up to 600 grit paper and you are happy with the finish (or tired of doing it!). The oil and sawdust fill the pores and you end up with a beatiful finish. This may be too slow for someone doing it on a professional basis however. I would not want to pay someone for the hours I put into mine.

Ron

Last edited by Ron_AKA; 09/11/08.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im doing a Remington 510 stock, what color of Arts should I get? I dont want any color added to the stock if possiable.

There is a wood workers store in my home town that sells some kind of filler, not Art's, do you guys think it really matters what brand?

If I dont like the look of the filler can I re-strip and get the stuff out of the pores?

Thanks for the help

PP

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One popular commercial filler is Behlen's Pore-O-Pack. It is an excellent filler for open grain wood, but is not the best for gunstocks because the main ingredient is silica (sand) powder.
This makes it very hard on checkering tools unless you use carbide.

I use the sanded-in method as several above have mentioned and it works to perfection if you have the patience.

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/1_20waltcunfin.html

RWO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 86 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.