24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone have a good recipe for gamebirds, in the smoker or oven? Marinate?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
GB2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I cook alot of pheasants and chukar. I keep it real simple. I breast the birds and save all the rest for stock. I lightly flour salt and pepper the breasts and fry just to get them brown. They go in the oven to finish ten to fifteen minutes is all they need. To keep them moist I finish them on a bed of moist stuffing. You can use what ever you like. I keep it simple mix a box of stovetop and a box of uncle bens wild rice. Cook them seperate then mix together. When the breast are finishing I make a sauce in the pan I browned the breasts in. I use the stock from the birds. To the stock I add some cream and butter. No real recipe but usually about 2 parts stock to 1 part cream and a tablespoon or so of butter. I thicken if needed depends on how much flour was left in the pan. I finish off the sauce with a squezze of lemon and some chopped parsley. I am not fond of marinades. I like to taste the bird. The sauce made with the stock is a great compliment to the birds. I have never had a dry breast yet when cooked this way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about Chukar, but it is almost a no-no in my Kansas family to prepare Quail breasts any way but rolled in flour, salt, pepper, and fried in oil on cast iron, making crispies for gravy. Young families try baking dishes with Campbells soup, like pheasant, until the ladies learn to make gravy. Good luck.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies.I have enough in the freezer to try both,they sound delicious! Been training a pup so will have more birds real soon.I want to put some in the smoker also. Thanks again.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to try quail grilled under a brick, a la Mario Batali.
You cut the backbone out (cut down both sides with shears) and olive oil the birds and salt and pepper them. Wrap bricks in tin foil and sit them on the grill to get hot. Put the birds skin side down and put a brick on top. Grill until they're crispy and serve. If I had some quail, I'd do that. If I had some duck, I'd do the duck scallopini with red wine, grappa and dried cherries. He's got a lot of nice game recipes.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Favorite way for quail is to filet the breast into little quail nuggets. Dredge in seasoned flour (season with your choice of salt, pepper, garlic salt, seasoned salt, etc) and deep fry. Doesn't get any better than that in my opinion.

For pheasants we'll do the same, only chunk it up into bite size pieces, and deep fry in the fish fryer.

Had a lot of pheasants last year so was looking for something different. My girlfriend chunked up the breast meat into smaller than bite size, cooked in a skillet with a very little oil, seasoned with some different mexican type spices (whatever ya got will work), added some onions and peppers sliced up to the mix, some jalapenos and black olives, then an enchilada sauce to finish it off. This whole concoction was used to make tacos and was very good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
765 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.