Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I haven't been able to find one of these to handle. Anybody have or try one out ?
As much as I love my light weight O/U's, I've discovered that my heavy, 8 lb. 1187 SP 12 does better. Both at trap and in the field. So, I was thinking about another Remington gas gun. This one gets good reviews.
Or maybe a heavier Benelli ? E

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You do not see many Rem 1100 on the sporting clay circuit. The reason is most can't keep them running and they require a lot of maintenance to do so. Don't know how much you shoot a shotgun, but if you�re a high volume shooter-i.e. 10,000 rounds/year-I would not recommend the 1100. It really is a shame, because if Remington beefed up the parts and made it more durable, high volume shooters would use it. Points like a dream and the trigger can be adjusted to be excellent.

Most Benelli gas guns I have come across in sporting are lighter than the 1100, but some aftermarket parts like tube extensions can change that for little money. The Benelli is a much simpler and more reliable shotgun. They will take a beating with minimal maintenance.

By far the Beretta 391 series is the shotgun of choice among shotguns used in sporting. However IMO the Benelli is the best of the bunch. They are both semis that require minimal maintenance and will work. I know shooters that have 100,000 rounds out of both. Yes some parts have been replaced, but a Rem 1100 with that many rounds would be in pieces. I don't like it, but that is just the way it is.

Loyal Rem. 1100 users are probably not going to like this, but I shoot a lot of Sporting tournaments and it is rare to see one being used, while Beretta and Benelli are quite common.

If they made them more reliable I would use one.

Last edited by battue; 09/15/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I don't do any competitive shooting, I have shot a pile of shells at clays and wild pheasants/doves with my Beretta 391. If there is a better auto out there, I don't need to know about it. Bro in law bought his, then I bought mine, then dad got one, then uncle got one, then a pile of others got theirs, based on my bro in law going out and getting his. They are good guns.

25 years ago dad had an 1100 and got rid of it, went to an 870 pump because of the reliability. After he bought his 391 a couple years ago, his response was "I can't believe I shot that 870 for so long"

Last edited by Cheesy; 09/15/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Little brother bought one. He put 3000 rounds thru it in 22 days. It simply would not run. Changed o-rings, cleaned it etc. The issue for him was that it wouldn't run for more than 100 shots at a time. Constant failures to fire, eject and feed. Some might send it in and wait - screw that. He was shooting heavy that year - needed it to run and run NOW.

He didn't want to have to clean it in between stations on the course, rounds maybe but not stations. Brought it in and got Browning 425. Hasn't looked back.

Interesting thing was I went into the place to check it out - see what they had it on the shelf for. The price was 75 bucks less than new. When I asked the clerk said it was used but only 3 weeks old - hardly used. He was rather excited when I told him there was 3000 rounds thru that gun already, I knew because I loaded them.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I could not make mine go 100 rounds on skeet doubles without screwing up. I really liked it and shot it well but could not get it where it would not jam at some point in the third box. Once it started, it went down hill in a hurry.
I sold it and bought a Beretta 391. I did not clean it and just kept feeding shells to it just to see how long it would go before I had to do anything at all to it. If memory serves me, it was about 1400 or 1500 rounds before it jammed one into the ejection port. Pulled the barrel and gave it 5 min's of TLC and ran it again just to see how many more it would go. Once again at about the 1500 shell mark, I had a jam.
That was more than 15 times as long as I could ever get my Remington to run.
I am sold on Beretta's and have owned as many as 4 at once. I am down to 2 now, but if I find a good deal......

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A 391 is a thing of beauty. They run like sewing machines and they have lots of aftermarket support. Like them much.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have friends who have shot their 391 5000-6000 with nothing more than some oil inside the receiver and on the piston.

Makes a thorough cleaning much harder, but many say they function better dirty.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by battue
I have friends who have shot their 391 5000-6000 with nothing more than some oil inside the receiver and on the piston.

Makes a thorough cleaning much harder, but many say they function better dirty.

that was about all I did to mine.
After about 3000 rounds, I felt sorry for it and tore it down and cleaned it real good.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only maintenance to my 391 I had done since 2003 was just pull the barrel and swab it out good with whatever solvent and oil I had on hand, and a general wipe down of light oil across the whole thing for storage. This spring was shooting sporting clays with a buddy that had bought one at the same time, he commented on how slow my action was closing when the 'close' button was pushed. I hadn't noticed it, and it wasn't causing issues on repeat shots as it was faster than I could get on the second target. I went home and did a complete strip down of the gun to its component pieces. All kinds of brake cleaner were used and a stiff nylon brush. put it back together and it liked to have ripped my finger off that was in the way when I pushed the close button.

The innards were filthy after 5 years, but still functioned well with no jams. Now it still functions well, but a little faster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
You do not see many Rem 1100 on the sporting clay circuit. The reason is most can't keep them running and they require a lot of maintenance to do so. Don't know how much you shoot a shotgun, but if you�re a high volume shooter-i.e. 10,000 rounds/year-I would not recommend the 1100. It really is a shame, because if Remington beefed up the parts and made it more durable, high volume shooters would use it. Points like a dream and the trigger can be adjusted to be excellent.

Most Benelli gas guns I have come across in sporting are lighter than the 1100, but some aftermarket parts like tube extensions can change that for little money. The Benelli is a much simpler and more reliable shotgun. They will take a beating with minimal maintenance.

By far the Beretta 391 series is the shotgun of choice among shotguns used in sporting. However IMO the Benelli is the best of the bunch. They are both semis that require minimal maintenance and will work. I know shooters that have 100,000 rounds out of both. Yes some parts have been replaced, but a Rem 1100 with that many rounds would be in pieces. I don't like it, but that is just the way it is.

Loyal Rem. 1100 users are probably not going to like this, but I shoot a lot of Sporting tournaments and it is rare to see one being used, while Beretta and Benelli are quite common.

If they made them more reliable I would use one.

The 1100 doesn�t have any parts breakage issues, it�s just that the gas system requires that you clean the gun every 500-1000 rounds and some of the newer guns don�t require as much maintenance. 1100�s do not fall to pieces. Back in the �80�s the 1100 was THE gun of choice for 3 gun competition and they didn�t fall apart then. I don�t know why the 1100 suddenly has such a bad reputation, they�re good reliable guns. They�re just not as maintenance free as the newer guns�again, parts breakage is not now, nor has ever been a problem.

The Remington 1100 is the most winning shotgun in skeet shooting history. It didn�t get that way with a reputation for falling apart.

The most common problem encountered with the 1100 is a worn magazine spring or if someone fails to clean the magazine tube. The force with which the shell is pushed into the receiver determines if the gun locks open or not. This is a common issue with the 1100, but if you understand it, it�s not a problem.

Reliability issues can all be traced back to maintenance. Fail to maintain your 1100 and it will make you pay; simple as that. Maintain your 1100 well and 10,000 rounds a year is a piece of cake, just like it was when the 1100 was the top dog.

The 1100 is a 40 year old design. You�re not seeing them at sporting clays ranges because there are better designs now (such as the Benelli and Beretta). It�s not because they�re �bad� guns or they fall apart.

Now with that all said, I believe the Beretta 391 is simply the best semi-auto shotgun available today; and they don't break the bank like a Benelli does.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks guys. I'm not a high volume shooter as some of you are, but I do want to know what's out there and how well they work.
I am familar with the Benelli's. Got their light 20 ga. for my now ex-wife after we had problems with her 1100 20 ga. One broken extractor and one other broken part which I don't recall specifically.
Beretta 391. I shall look for one. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
...Beretta 391. I shall look for one. E
Good call.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow.
I put a couple of thousand down the pipe of my 1100 every year and it has never failed.

I wonder how many skeet competitions have been won with a Remington 1100?

I know it's not a fair comparison as there are far more Remingtons in existance but I honeastly do not see parts breakage as an issue.

I bought an 11-87 Premier a while back from a guy that swore it was junk. It simply would not eject shells is what he told me. I cleaned the gas ports, put a new piston, and seal on it it has not failed me once.

If you, like me, like the Remington, the buy a Remington. I like the little bit of nostagia that goes with them.

Good luck with whatever you buy, it's always fun to get a new shotgun!!

STILL clinging to my guns and my religion.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kevin we just disagree and that is ok. I tried to shoot an 1100 for sporting clays about 8 years ago. I know others who have also and they just can't keep them running.

Parts breakage was an issue. The magazine tube coming loose from the receiver was the big one. Trigger parts broke on a fairly regular basis. The flat bar on the inside of the receiver that is peened in kept falling out when you would take it apart for cleaning. Repeen and in awhile it would be loose again. This was all with one ounce shells.

I was at a shoot just recently were Remington had a representative with a table display of their products. I mentioned that I really like the 1100 but they were so unreliable. He said shoot this one and come back and tell me that. I shot practice 5stand with it and had 4 malfunctions in 25 rounds shot. This was with new factory Remington shells. Others had the same experience. The Remington reps were cleaning them on the table after someone brought one back from using it.

I do think the 1100's of earlier vintage are stouter and seem to be more reliable. As mentioned the 1100 points like a dream. Recoil is probably less than any other semi. I would shoot one if it would hold up. Today that is not the case and as much as I would like to I can't honestly recommend a 'fire member to buy one.

Addition: All this being said, at the same shoot I talked about I happened to win a new 1100. Gave it to the son of a friend of mine who is just starting to shoot. I know that boy is going to be shooting alot next summer. Well see what the future holds. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by battue; 09/19/08.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shouldn't but just gotta throw in my two cents. The 4-H 20 gauge 1100's go through 100 - 150 (sometimes more) shells each week during the summer (12's fewer generally) and haven't had a stoppage for a couple years now. No parts replacement except one barrel seal (O ring) that was probably 3 years old and I noticed it was getting pretty stiff. When we had stoppages it appeared that carbon and oil buildup on the magazine tube was taking too much energy out of the system. When cleaning after each session I clean the tube with ersatz Ed's Red then wipe dry with a paper towel. I don't even take the piston/seal off the tube. Ammo makes a difference. We got the best deal on Federals a year ago and did they ever carbon up the mag tube. Winchesters this year and so much cleaner.

For shooting more rounds than that without cleaning I have no opinion, just don't know.

-----------------------

Oh yeah, clear, sticky residue building up in chambers causing hangups, but that happens in pumps too. Believe it's a combination of heat and manufacturing lube on the hull.

Last edited by nighthawk; 09/20/08.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For those that have had good luck with the 1100 - great. I just shared my experience is all.

Nighthawk and Bustingclay - glad they work for you, they just didn't for me/us. When a 700-1400 round weekend is the norm, we simply didn't care for the down time.

Perhaps a change in powder would have been in order for us but we were buying 700x in 36lb quantities. No need to complicate things by adding another to the bench.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW! I cant believe so many guys have 1100's that brake or wont cycle!! I have an 11-87 and shoot it for all my upland, waterfoul and lots of skeet, I shoot it till it "slows down".

True, the 391 will run much longer with no maintance, but if you say you shoot the 1100 better I say buy what you shoot the best.

I shot my 11-87 in sporting clay tournments till the mag tube came loose, this is an issue with Remingtons, I figure the gun had in the area of 150,000 rounds through it, sent it back and it's fine.

My gun will cycle 1 oz loads with no problem and go well over 1000 rounds before slowing down. I have tried 391's and all the others and just shoot the Remington best. And if I neeed to clean the gun once in a while so be it, I shot 75 straight with it yesterday. Small price to pay.

Sure looks like the skeet guys like em wink go to any skeet tournment and see what's in the rack if there shooting 12 ga in the 12 ga event, lot's use 20's.

There not all that bad, but you will need to clean them once in a while.............

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
battue -

I would never ask one to lay aside their personal observations and experiences. It looks like we've seen the opposite sides of the spectrum.

I have seen 1100 mag tubes that have fallen out, but these were on guns that had absorbed 20k rounds per year for more than a decade; they were just plain worn out.

I don't have an 1100 anymore; gave it to my son who is currently shooting the snot out of his 20 year old 1100. This was an 1100 I picked up used after the previous owner who shot it regularly for trap said he thought it was worn out. It had a worn out magazine spring; back in the game.

My only Remington semi-auto these days is a 20 bore Model 11, which is about 70 years old and perfectly reliable (and just plain fun to shoot).

Honestly, if I were shopping for a new semi-auto, I wouldn't be looking at a new 1100 (perhaps a used one if price was a concern). The Beretta's and Benelli's are the new generation of autos and they're much better.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I want to thank everyone for their comments.
At present, I'm using an 1187 SP for my serious trap shooting. My other favorite is an older Ithaca O/U made by SKB.
For some reason, I think it's weight ( 8.25 vs. 7.5 lbs.) and my terrible shooting habits, I can shoot the 1187 better at trap and in the field than the O/U.
So, I asked. Gun Tests had some good things to say about the then 1187 Sporting Clays which is now called the 1100 SC.
But they have more and better things to say about the Beretta AL391 Teknys. Nothing even in the slightest to complain about with it.
They also have nothing but very nice things about the Browning Citori XS. And I've got a real soft spot for O/U guns.
Ah, me. It's only money.
Thanks again guys. I appreciate your comments. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now if they still made the original Win. SuperX Model 1 I would be one happy guy.

I have 3 right now, only use 1 of them. In my opinion no better American made semi has ever been offered. I think the Benelli will be more reliable in the long run, but that all machined steel-with the exception of one part-SuperX was a great gas gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
806 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.