Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So I posted this on my weblog:

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries

It is absolutely ludicrous to believe that deer are sensitive to UV. The mammalian eye simply is not built to resolve visible light AND UV light-- not to the extent purported. Deer do not have magic eyes. They see a lot like we do, except they see less red and more blue and green.

This is the classic case of somebody creating a need and then attempting to fill it.

I have a couple of books on deer hunting that devote whole chapters to this anti-UV craze. I'm sure the authors themselves were just reporting what was available at the time. If you go back and look at it, this craze was typical of hunting gadgetry. Somebody comes out with a product that promises no-UV brighteners added to their clothes. Then somebody comes out with a product that will kill UV brighteners already on your clothes. Then . . .

The fact of the matter is that UV-brighteners exist, but they're put on clothes to make them whiter than white and brighter-than-bright-- not something you'd do to the average camo material. At the time UV brighteners became the big bugaboo for hunters, women's fashion was big on white stockings. UV sensitive dies were put on the fabric to keep them from looking dull in office lighting. As a result, when they got out in the sunlight they'd fluoresce to the point of annoyance. I've been in the woods now for 26 seasons. I've never seen anyone's hunting clothes with that kind of day-glo.

That is with one exception. Why is it we go to such lengths to kill UV on all our other clothes and then don fluorescent hunter orange hats and vests? Has anyone ever stopped to think how silly this all gets? I can see an orange hat at a distance of a mile or more when it gets into the sun. I'm sure the deer can too. They just don't pay any attention to it. To them, it's just a BRIGHT gray (?). What is bright gray?

So now I spray UV Killer on it-- somehow this magic potion dulls one dye (the UV brightener) without touching any other color. Hmmmm. Selective bleaching. There's a trick! It kills the UV dye on my camo clothes, but does not touch the florescence of my orange vest. How do it know? How do it know?

Back in the 20's the canned tuna industry was a tight race-- nobody had clear leadership in the field. All tuna was pink. Then Bumble Bee Tuna accidentally came up with a way to bleach tuna and turn it white. They didn't mean to. It just happened that way. Stuck with bleached tuna, somebody in the marketing department came up with an idea. Their ad campaign: "Bumble Bee Tuna-- Guaranteed not to turn pink!" Bumble Bee got on top and stayed there for years. I'll leave you to ponder that one.

Later in the day, I got this posted as a comment:

Dan said...

Dear Shaman,
If you believe your readers would be interested in a two sided discussion of U-V-Killer and the science of deer vision, I will try to engage in a conversation.
In any case it would be only fair to direct them to Atsko.com where the dvd and book and hundreds of references in juried periodicals are all available at no cost.
Sincerely,
Dan Gutting, Atsko Inc.
Mon Sep 22, 03:48:00 PM 2008

Dan:

I'd love to have that discussion. I've already been on Atsko.com I did what your demo video suggested and took a bunch of my camo and put it under a UV light. Zip. Nada.

Some of this stuff is 20 years old. Some is fairly recent. None of it fluoresced the way the camo your video suggested. What am I doing wrong?

I also tried a bunch of my other clothing, and only a small number of white and light blue shirts had the glow under my UV light.

Normally, I only use Sodium Bicarbonate to wash my hunting clothes. Could that have something to do with it?

Write soon. Write often.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
if I don't worry about UV light, then the darn deer should not either.
Did that UV stuff exist when I started killing deer back in the mid fifties? Deer did not give a hoot then either.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shaman,

I believe UV killers have been used by sucsesful deer hunters since the 20s.

Im not the kind to call a man out without proof.

So I present you with this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
sure, next you're going to tell me they had scent lock too... laugh

Camp is where you make it.
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Coffee hurts as it comes out of your nose.

Would you all mind if I reposted your comments and pics on my weblog?

BTW: Feel free to join in yourselves at:

Post a Comment

I'm sure Dan would love to hear your opinions of UV-suppressing products.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by shaman
Coffee hurts as it comes out of your nose.

SO laughin'........

Yeah, it does, don't it? Good to know I'm not the only person in the world to have experienced that wonderful sensation......

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
[Linked Image]

Ohhh shnapp! dem brudda's got a fotey of da anti-bling! Go on now wiff yo bad non shiny selfs!

grin

Something clever here.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
VA: You know, this really has me bugged-- this Dan guy.

On the one hand, I figure that if the product really was effective, they wouldn't have a spokesman out trolling around weblogs looking to squelch negative comments.

Can you imagine Remington coming after the "SUCKS" crowd?

On the other hand, I'm all for live and let live. I constantly poke fun at stuff that makes no good sense to me-- especially gimmicky products like UV-Killer. On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy to let folks sell whatever they want as long as it's not dangerous.

It really isn't dishonest anyway:

I'll grant you that deer may see UV better than humans.
I'll grant that some clothes and perhaps some camo clothing has UV brighteners
I'll grant that many detergents put "Brighteners" (UV dye) in their clothes.

I just have not seen the proof from anywhere including the Atsko website that any of this seriously effects hunting. What you have is an invisible bugaboo that only the company's product can alleviate. I even went as far as going down turning a blacklight on my clothes-- zip, nada. My white shirt glowed. The detergent glowed, but my hunting stuff washed in sodium bicarb? Bumpkus. Pass me the can of elephant repellent.

So there I am in bed this morning. I wake up a tad early and the first thing I have in my head is "What's Dan going to do today?"

I have half a mind to offer to wear a day-glo orange clown suit on the stand and hang a UV-Paint sign that says "DANGER: Hunter! Run for your Life" in the tree as long as Atsko is willing to take out the full-page ad space to show my kill shots.

Then I come in and fire up the confuser and get Grogel Deluxe's pics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Would you all mind if I reposted your comments and pics on my weblog?"

If it will help set the record straight, go right a head. wink

I heard that the truth shall set you free, seems it will also set coffee free.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And you can tell Dan I like snow seal for my choppers.

Remembering The 99
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
snow seal on choppers...now I've heard it all. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Shoot, most of the deer I've killed in 40years of hunting were dispatched while eating candy bars or smoking cigarettes and NOT wearing any camo, or scents, or scent-blockers or with a cartridge that had magnum in it's name. In short, doing everything the "wrong" way. Don't even get me started on "UV-blockers!"

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Shoot, most of the deer I've killed in 40years of hunting were dispatched while eating candy bars or smoking cigarettes and NOT wearing any camo, or scents, or scent-blockers or with a cartridge that had magnum in it's name. In short, doing everything the "wrong" way. Don't even get me started on "UV-blockers!"

BTW: Feel free to join in at:

Post a Comment

I'm sure Dan would love to hear your opinions of UV-suppressing products.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well I use one of the poplular sports washes that has a UV inhibitor (sp?) in it. I don't really see it as a waste though. I too think the science is sketchy, but look at it this way. The Sports wash does not smell like a "Clean Breeze" or "Mountain Fresh" like the shirt I am wearing right now.

So by using one of the name brand sports detergent my Camo hunting clothing has none of these deodorants added. Thats a good thing that I can see a real difference with my nose.

(Then I store my close in a rubbermaid tub with a few cedar saplings sticks, but that's another discussion.grin )

Anyway even if the UV brightener thing is a gimick, I am still getting a usefull product, by virtue of the missing deodorants.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
F
F
Something you guys left out was that they didnt put brightners in materials until the 60's or 70's.

F
F

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think UV killers are pretty much obsolete any more. More and more companies no longer put UV brightners in laundry detergent. Just ask any US soldier, and they can probably give you a list of about 25 different detergents that contain no UV brightners.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
snow seal on choppers...now I've heard it all. grin

You dont like dry choppers??

Remembering The 99
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I use it too, that is why there was a smiley face. I put it on my work boots also.

Tom

F
F
Your everyday detergents do still have brightners in them, and some material they make our camo from comes from China now a days so they have brightners in them normally. As the military camo goes they don't have brightners to begin with, but washing them in regular detergent puts the brightners in it. It specifically says on the inside of the military camo not to wash them in a detergent with brightners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.