Hop To
Page 44 of 57 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 56 57
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Desert Mule Deer,

When you pack .44 Magnum, in Idaho, especially in Central Idaho, around Salmon, or Challis, the Pahsimeroi Valley, along the Lost River Range, or what I generally call Elmer Keith Country, especially if it is a S&W Model 29, then you start to feel the synergy of the total experience.

That said, it cannot be complete unless you are packing it in a Milt Sparks rig, which Mr. Keith had a hand in the design.

[Linked Image]

As far as I am concerned N Framed .44 Magnums and Milt Sparks leather go together like fine women and an evening dresses.

Elmer Keith, the Sparks rig, the Hat, the Cigar, the persona, his whole cowboy upbringing is what made him who and what he was. A little bit of that is in the .44 Magnum.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Agreed on all points with one exception...the high-viz front sight ruins it. wink

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Never been to Idaho, but love.44s. Wore a couple of them out in Eastern NM back in the day and Keith's cowboy roots showed up in the guns then. I like the looks of the Milt Sparks leather, but the Roper style grips are intolerable for me. A cylinder or two of special level loads will make me bleed with those. For me, I like finger grooves and Hogue-type design for recoil control.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well said Mackay, the spirit of Elmer is strong in your part of Idaho.

I also think of Ross Seyfried when I think of 44 manums, so in the spirit of Ross I submit a Bisley Blackhawk 44 mag.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Agreed on all points with one exception...the high-viz front sight ruins it. wink

They work for old guy eyeballs when shooting at fast moving jacks!

They are not so hot for long range work though..

Good thing that 29-2 has a custom front sight base with interchangeable front sights just like the DX series!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Never been to Idaho, but love.44s. Wore a couple of them out in Eastern NM back in the day and Keith's cowboy roots showed up in the guns then. I like the looks of the Milt Sparks leather, but the Roper style grips are intolerable for me. A cylinder or two of special level loads will make me bleed with those. For me, I like finger grooves and Hogue-type design for recoil control.

A guy has got to roll with what works for his hands!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by desertoakie

They work for old guy eyeballs when shooting at fast moving jacks!

They are not so hot for long range work though..

Good thing that 29-2 has a custom front sight base with interchangeable front sights just like the DX series!!!

I hear ya on that one!!!

Ken
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I love my model 69 with a dawson green fiber front. Works very well on the mountain. It's OK for shooting long range also but not as handy as a post front. It's the handiest little revolver I've messed with and I shoot it almost daily with the same old boring 503 at 1200fps. Penta point is my favorite bullet for varmints. Spent a lot of time with 45 colt and heavy bullets but i guess I'm slowing a little.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by irfubar
Well said Mackay, the spirit of Elmer is strong in your part of Idaho.

I also think of Ross Seyfried when I think of 44 manums, so in the spirit of Ross I submit a Bisley Blackhawk 44 mag.

[Linked Image]

Truly a Classic there.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So this last week/weekend I was in central Idaho at my cabin, as well as at what is known as the Braun Brothers Reunion, which is a big music festival in Challis Idaho. I had a fair bit of time to do some shooting and roaming of Keith Country and shooting of a couple of .44s.

I took a few pics along the way.

My handgun/leather combo for most of my time.

BTW, RJM had sent the family a care package immediately prior to this trip, and it ended up playing a big part of things..

Speed strips from RJM, which also fit .308/30-06 based cartridges for anyone who may be interested BTW for keeping a few extra rifle cartridges from rattling in your pocket while out roaming.

[Linked Image]

The handgun is my old 29-2 with a 200AW from the guys at Milt Sparks.

Since Photobucket is doing what they are doing, this is a great chance to get out at re-do some pics and get some big bore shooting in prior to the big game season that is fast approaching.

[Linked Image]

It was terribly smoky due to forest fires but still I was able to take a few semi decent shots of local scenery, and stuff some may find of interest.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This post is about 40 years in the making.

I hope he won't mind me sharing this.

RJM graduated a police academy 40 years ago. Instead of attending the graduating ceremony, he went to a function where Elmer Keith was at instead. He met and spoke with Mr. Keith and had him sign a copy of his autobiography, addressed to RJM. A true treasure indeed.

I told RJM that I was very honored and humbled when I opened his care package and found among the items, the Elmer Keith autographed book, signed in 1977, now again in Idaho 40 years later.

Here it is 4 decades later, :

[Linked Image]

I am going to cross post this in the hunter's campfire section since a lot of guys would otherwise miss it.

A true treat as far as I am concerned. For those who don't know, RJM is a real pro with his .41 and I am sure even Keith himself would have respect for RJM's abilities with his N Frame .41 at long distance.

In fact here he is on the famous Pahsimeroi Valley playing the long range game.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Love this last update Mackay!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
MacKay
i should'nt admit it but i will. few years ago i acquired a smith29 classic in 4inch. Really didn't pay for it, it was courtesy of cabella's.
Pretty revolver, but it isn't quite as good in some ways as the old ones, but it does have a pinned on front site.
so, I went to the smith website and ordered one of those red fiber optic front sites like come on that model with the nuclear thing on the side,
one of the lightweight smiths, and installed it on the 29. Then got rid of the grips, too thin, the new revolver grips come with and put on a set
of hogues.
Like it a lot better now. I don't think it so much works as a target gun with that optic, but boy is it fast to acquire.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ted, you're a class act

And I deeply enjoy rims posts as well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...well I didn't miss the graduation ceremony but my wife and I did skip most of the graduation party to see Elmer....it was quite the presentation. Even got to talk to he and his wonderful wife for 15 minutes all by ourselves...

I had planned to be in Idaho right now to do some more shooting and motorcycling but just didn't work out...hoping for next year before I get too old to really enjoy it.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great post and pictures.. I always look forward to the show.. Didn't make our usually trip to Idaho this summer, maybe this fall for birds.. Keep up the fine work.. That is some of the most beautiful country on earth.. Have that same book from Elmer.. A real treasure!!!!! On with the show..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That hat is really cool, a prop, or do you wear it?

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Great story and pics

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
That hat is really cool, a prop, or do you wear it?

I wore that hat all through my college rodeo days, riding bucking horses, and the scars/wear on it is honest.

Now I only wear it only on occasion, as I have a newer custom fitted one made by the Rocky Mountain Hat Company. This one I used for the pics I wore this weekend at the Braun Brothers Reunion Music Festival, as the weather was sketchy and rained/hailed, then was sunny, then lightning, then more rain.

If I trashed a $500-$600 custom hat (I have not checked prices lately) my wife would kill me.

Here is the "new" one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome! Elmer would approve!!!!! Thanks awesome hats ,guns ,and photos.. Thanks.. I look forward to visiting this country again soon!!

Molon Labe
Page 44 of 57 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.