Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
thinking about having cerakote applied to my stainless tikka in a matte black color. i am searching for a company to do the job, and i am looking for recommendations. this would be my first cerakote finished gun, and wondering if there are any cons to having this done? will the action drop back into the stock without having to fit it?

I'd Rather Be On Hazel Creek
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive had 2 rifles done by the fires own Charley Santoni. One was a Tikka T3 lite. I am very impressed with Cerakote so far, supposedly 4 times harder than Teflon and I beleive it. Turn around was around 2 weeks each time including shipping time...very fast. I coulnt be happier with my results so far and Charley is a class act who does excellent work. I had him do a custom paint job on the Tikka stock as well and it came out very nice...good price also...$175 for the Cerakote (including all hardware, rings, bases swivel studs etc...) and another $100 for the paint job. Highly recommended. Good luck.

http://www.riflestockpainting.com/contact_us.html

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I TOTALLY AGREE,CHARLEY HAS CERAKOTED 3 RIFLES FOR ME,EXCELLANT QUALITY AND A FINE MAN TO DO BUSINESS WITH,DOES DANG FINE STOCK PAINTING ALSO.KARL AT kampfeldcustom.com,has also cerakoted a few rifles for me,EXCELLANT QUALITY AND another FINE MAN to do business with,BUT HE MIGHT BE TO BUSY BUILDING RIFLES.
Either 1 will DEFINATELY TAKE CARE OF YOU.Karl built a 25-06AI for me last year and painted the stock Olive drab with black spider webbing and cerakoted the whole rifle in matte black,everyone that sees it says it's 1 of the BEST LOOKING AND SHOOTING RIFLES THEY'VE EVER SEEN.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
thanks for the info

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How are you guys getting around that new California law that only approved FFLs can send stuff to California? Doesn't that effectively make an operation like Charlie's impossible to operate in California?

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The rules are different for repair/service work when there is no transfer of ownership.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even in California? I would LOVE to have Charlie do the work for me--I got the stock and floorplate from him anyway. However, I don't want to launch my gun into the land of fruits and nuts and have it never return............

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
PM incoming

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
does the cerakote finsish cover up the engraving on the rifle such as serial number/caliber etc? excuse my ignorance, but i have never even seen a rifle with this finish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitetailfreak
does the cerakote finsish cover up the engraving on the rifle such as serial number/caliber etc? excuse my ignorance, but i have never even seen a rifle with this finish.

Cerakote is pretty thin and will not affect anything including engravings, bolt fit, screws etc (it didnt on either of my 2 rifles including ALL hardware even scope mounting screws rings bases swivels etc.)...

Here is a link to the manufacturers website. Some interesting tib bits there:

http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hrnhuntr
The rules are different for repair/service work when there is no transfer of ownership.

This is absolutely correct. The new laws in CA do not affect individuals shipping a firearm to an FFL for repair, upgrades etc...send Charley an email he will verify this. The last rifle I did came back only 3 or 4 weeks ago so I am sure about this. I asked him the same thing...

http://www.riflestockpainting.com/contact_us.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blaine
Even in California? I would LOVE to have Charlie do the work for me--I got the stock and floorplate from him anyway. However, I don't want to launch my gun into the land of fruits and nuts and have it never return............

I hear that. I was told by Charley that there is no problem.....not yet anyways! Better hurry...before the gestapo changes the rules...again mad

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Not a problem. Just got to shotguns back and they look great.

I forgot to ask which type of cerakote Charlie uses. I assumed it was the bake on.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
can the cerakote be applied to the scope as well, or just the metal on the rifle, and rings/bases?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
It can be applied to the scope with the air dry version.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.