Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice pics and nice rifle

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Now that's a real Browning, Mississippi!

I like your pics as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I certainly prefer the stock on my FN to that Browning used. Mine had a standard military trigger with the wing safety on the left side of the bolt. I have since swapped the trigger out. I do like the safety on the left. It is a beautifully finished gun, easily the same as the Browning's I have seen.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That rifle has class written all over it...

Very nice.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
cummins,
I sent you a PM about a mint Safari in .270.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WCB,

I checked with Western but they are sold out for FN Brownings. Good link though thanks for the info. I've attached a couple of pics, one shows all this scrolling on the bottom and one showing the chunk missing from the stock...

Lee24

I've attached a pic of the mounts. I am having difficulty zooming in closer with this camera though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Westcoaster -
I will post a picture of some Buehler mounts with the scope removed so you can compare.

CumminsCowboy -
Now reply from you about that mint Safari in .270.
Are you still interested, or should I steer someone else to it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Westcoaster,
Try these guys,they bought up bunch of the stocks from Western Gun Parts-
http://www.customshopinc.com/

The "scrolling" on your floor plate is standard Safari Grade engraving for the Mauser action guns-the floor plates on the Sakos were engraved with a different pattern.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Great thread. Thank you, wheelchair bandit on the lead to Western Gun Parts. I have an FN Mauser Delux purchased in 1962, I stupidly cut the stock and installed a recoil pad. I'm going to try restoring this rifle to its original condition. It's a 30-06 and extremely accurate.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of things about these old Safari's, not only do they look great, they are very capable shooters!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cat, the other white meat!
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What years were the browning safaris made on those FN Mausers?

Were the brownings all new mauser receivers ?

Were they considered a true mauser or were their safety’s , triggers and bolt releases different?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And...

Is there a way to date the serial number??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll likely do better searching around on collector sites than here for all that info. Brownings are "complicated". Add in the salt wood issue, the Sako-based ones, and also European models that sometimes find their way here and it gets more so. I still run into stuff I didn't know about from time to time, and I've been looking at them off and on for years.

You'll pay a premium for Brownings over other FN rifles, especially nice ones.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
other than the bolt release what is different about the Belgian built safari actions over say like an commercial FN sporter like say a jc higgins model 50. the safaris I have looked at sure are nice guns, the actions seem smoother and the gun feels a little tighter than a commercial FN sporter. or maybe its just because the safaris I have looked at have all been in excellent shape

That made for Sears Roebuck Mauser with FN action came from Harrison & Richardson (they also made limited number of rifles with H&R stamped on them in .270 and .30-06). Not a bad rifle. If you are determined to get FN Sporter or Browning FN I would go with .338 or .375 where the extra weight is welcomen. In early years both Weatherby and Sako used FN Mauser actions to make rifles. I would consider pre-1964 Winchester 70. The two standouts are .270 Featherweight and standard weight in .338 Winchester Magnum. Another standout was L-579 actioned Harrison & Richardson (.308 most common caliber) which if found in top shape can be had for about $500. I had to plug in a line for Old Model 70 because I'm a Winnie guy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buckskin
I have a .270 Browning Safari made in 1962. I shot 5 rounds thru the bbl.to sight it in, then stuck it in the safe before leaving for Viet Nam. Somehow, I've just never got around to shooting it again. Got involved with archery, and the guns just sat in the safe.

I pulled it out the other day, took off the old Redfield 3x9, & mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, and one of these days, I'll get out there and sight it in again.

Richard

What was wrong with the 3X9 Redfield?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I havent seen a Browning Safari in years, last one was a 264WM if I remember correctly. I dont see many FN Mausers anymore either.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In my opinion the original FN was the better rifle. They tend to be lighter, came with a well proportioned classic stock and had a left side wing safety.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by Buckskin
I have a .270 Browning Safari made in 1962. I shot 5 rounds thru the bbl.to sight it in, then stuck it in the safe before leaving for Viet Nam. Somehow, I've just never got around to shooting it again. Got involved with archery, and the guns just sat in the safe.

I pulled it out the other day, took off the old Redfield 3x9, & mounted a 2.5x8 Leupold on it, and one of these days, I'll get out there and sight it in again.

Richard

What was wrong with the 3X9 Redfield?

Nothing. Redfield made Browning branded scopes in 60s and 70s. They can still be used but the image will not be as sharp or bright as in new scopes of good quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
In my opinion the original FN was the better rifle. They tend to be lighter, came with a well proportioned classic stock and had a left side wing safety.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is what one would call professional or game wardens rifle, no frills quality, reliable piece.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just bought a push feed safari in 7mm yesterday that had been at the local pawn shop maybe 3months.
Topped with the vx3 leupold it just feels good.
Ready to shoot it and then decide if I keep it or sell it

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.