Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all:

This post is for a small audience of the larger 24hourcampfire community.

I suspect that there are not huge numbers of therapists and other mental health professionals on the 24hourcampfire. The Campfire not seem to be the kind of forum that is likely to attract droves of them. However, given the size of our community, I think there must be a few of them lurking out there. This speculation is addressed to them and to those members who may know of teens suffering from depression.

I have had several conversations with co-workers regarding their kids and some of the "issues" their kids are working through. These conversations were often held in small groups of 3 so there were some dynamics that came into play. The child in question had been diagnosed with Major Depression. The first question that popped out of the third party's mouth was "Is he gay?"

So it appears that a commonly assumed chain-of-causality is that depressed teens are often depressed because they are gay. Popular readings on the subject repeat this chestnut to the point where it has become cliche.

I have a couple of family members who are clinically diagnosed as suffering from Major Depression. I did some research on the topic because I am nosy by nature.

I want to propose an alternate chain-of-causality. Most antidepressants fall into a class of drugs identified as selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (common trade names Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro and others). This class of drugs can do weird things to the male libido.

I propose that depressed teens start out feeling overwhelmed and unable to compete. Then they are dosed with drugs that warp their libido. The only model society offers as an explaination for their initial opting out of the testosterone fueled demolition derby and their subsequent drug induced neutered state is that they MUST be GAY!

Conventional wisdom is that they are depressed because they are gay.

I propose that they think they must be gay because they are depressed and because of the side effects of the drugs commonly used to treat the depression.

All comments appreciated.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm a Lesbian trapped in a mans body, lol. Not too depressed though.

I do suppose that your theory has good merit.

Hope a person more knowledgeable( and not a smart azz like me) in these matters checks in here.

GOA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I propose that most depressed teens that become depressed and are given anti-depressants are so because of some seriously [bleep] up parents and/or parent (since single parenting seems the norm these days). Parent/s that have not enough time for their own kids, in short folks with screwed up priorities.

Methinks the chain of events needs to go back to the family core, or lack of.

Obviously this isn't every case, but I'd bet a shiny new nickel it's a bunch of them.

I've dated enough SINGLE moms to know that the majority of these women shouldn't even be allowed to have a cat, much less a child.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I dunno 'bout all that...

...but it might make you start watching Dance with the Stars. smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The biggest problem with kids is parenting, or lack thereof. Where I'd get a good crack ( my kids got one, too grin ), kids nowadays get talked to in great length, or ignored because "they have to be allowed to express themselves". "Horsehockey!", as Col. Potter used to say. Kids need love, guidance, and discipline. The kids I see in the ER who are on all these meds suffer a severe lack of parenting. They're no different than the kids I grew up with, who all managed to turn out OK. And, no medicine.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know about teens I do klnow that if I found out I was gay it would sure as heck depress the crap out of me.

Now a straight, no pun intended answer. I honestly do not think gays are born, males are made gay by parenting, or lack thereof, peer pressure, and role models. Take for example an shy introverted young man, entering puberty, with a lack of any positive MALE role model,( single parent is usually the Mother)and peer preassure for other young people of the same age (pack mentality) remember the kid is shy and introverted, and the type role models avalible to shy introverted young people. The self belief of homosexuality, (that every young male gets from time to time) may cause depression, and eventually experimentation. This could lead to deeper depression. I won't even get into the predatory gay males who activly look for confused young males to "turn"

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think dudes are either wired that way or not.

Women on the other hand are only 2 drinks away from a girl on girl experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, not all therapists are left wing, liberal, Birkenstock wearing fruit loops <just most of uswink>. I like the Bio-psycho-Social model of understanding what make some folks have a rougher road through life than others do.

There is no doubt about a genetic predisposition for depression, just like diabetes.... it tends to run in families. If you know about the predisposition to diabetes you can take good general care of yourself and in many cases never develop the illness. Some will still develop it no matter how much they eat right exercise and get plenty of rest. If medication is started early before a bunch of damage gets done to the system, a diabetic can still live a very long full and largely symptom free life....

Similar pattern with depression. If aunt Betty killed herself after falling into a depression that just didn't go away.... it would be wise to pay closer attention to emotional well being for all the relatives. That is the "Bio" part of the above and any decent mental health intake will ask about a family history of mental health issues.

The "Psycho" part is pretty much related to what Steelhead wrote about. If a person grows up feeling like there are some people that love them and they see some good role models for dealing with life and gets the sense that it's OK to screw up from time to time as long as you learn something from it.... that is seen as reducing the chances of falling off the edge later on... Call is good training for dealing with emotions.

The "Social" part is really big with teens because they naturally begin to identify more strongly with their peers. It's normal to hang out with different kinds of groups while a person tries to figure out their own identity separate from their family. Someone without a family history of mental health issues and a safe loving home background can spend more time with less desirable peers and still be highly likely to walk away before getting too caught up in negative stuff....

Think about the diabetes analogy. Caught early it can be managed well without medication in many cases..... sometimes medication becomes necessary.... but just taking medication without changing overall health habits isn't going to work out very well in the longer term....

Oh and about the gay thing.... maybe, but I'd guess it's more likely to be projection on the part of the speakerwink

Good on you for caring enough to post about it. Major depression is very treatable but left unchecked is truly Hell on earth.

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think dudes are either wired that way or not.

Women on the other hand are only 2 drinks away from a girl on girl experience.

+1 laugh

FWIW - I get to interact with a decent number of "troubled" folks and out of all the suicides I've seen MOST (by far) have been folks on meds. I do think there's a small % of the population that NEEDS and benefits from meds but I also think that 95% of people on meds are taking the easy way out and are apt to have a lot more trouble than if just dealing with their issues "unadjusted"....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe Mama. There is a lot of homosexuality amongst my uncles and aunts on my Dad's side. I can't help but notice that they were all suffereing from some degree of depression. In all of their cases, I believe that the depression came from them all growing up in a very structured Irish Catholic upbringing. I mean, being a gay Catholic is tough. You already have to feel guilty all the time anyways, and then you throw being gay in in top of that and you have a surefire case of depression. In all their cases, their depression was CAUSED, by some degree, from their homosexuality. Not the other way around...

I really feel that in the future they will discover a gene that gives a propensity towards homosexuality. One of my uncles is only a couple years older than I am. We grew up together, he was more like a brother in a lot of ways. He's been gay ever since I can remember. I mean he was into Jazz Dancing when my brother and I were playing baseball...

Depression is a real bitch. These days head doctors have made a lot of ground on it. When I was a kid (and a good Catholic) if you were depressed, you needed to suck it up, pray more and maybe god would let you off the hook for whatever you did. Now they KNOW it's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.

In my family, we would've handled this with "Scotch Therapy." Go on a three or four day hunting trip with your kid, and take two 5ths of Scotch for each night stayed. Get hammered and talk things through. Depending on the severity of the depression, you may want to consider spending one night hunting at the Bunny Ranch just North of Vegas.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You sound depressed..............grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know if gayness runs in my family, but I am doing my best to offset it if it does!

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have any information on the specific topic, but I'll offer this.

One thing that is hammered into the heads of all psychology students (and other sciences as well) is not to confuse correlation with causality. Also, not to assume that A causes B, when it may be the other way around.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steelhead... I have three kids, all girls. Of course I'm depressed. In a couple of years I'll have to work 2 days OT a month just to pay for tampons laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by blinddog1

Now a straight, no pun intended answer. I honestly do not think gays are born, males are made gay by parenting, or lack thereof, peer pressure, and role models."

If that's the case, there should many families where all the kids are gay. Though not impossible, I've never heard of that happening. I realize each kid in a family may have different levels of peer preasure, But I agree with steelhead on this one. It's in the wiring.

3825 24336
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Steelhead... I have three kids, all girls. Of course I'm depressed. In a couple of years I'll have to work 2 days OT a month just to pay for tampons laugh

Dude, that is TFF!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
JAL Offline
J
Originally Posted by Nebraska of all the suicides I've seen MOST (by far) have been folks on meds.

This is just wrong, and I doubt you
have any idea of true depression. Eg. many are on the wrong med.,or the wrong dose, or don't take them regularly enough. And since when is a medication a guarentee of perfect effect??
Nothing is obvious as to the best med. for each individual.
So how would your figures for suicides look if no one was on anti-depressants???

[quote

I think that 95% of people on meds are taking the easy way out and are apt to have a lot more trouble than if just dealing with their issues "unadjusted"....

There is NO easy way out. desperate people just follow their Doctors direction. Many don't even know they are clinically depressed but exibit symtoms known to Doctors. There would be many less suicides if more people got help quicker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Dude, that is TFF!

Travis

Really? Well, let me tell one: I have four kids, all girls, and my house only has one shower.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Depression makes you gay.

Happiness makes you straight.

I'm guessing being Bipolar makes one Bisexual? Apparently Bipolar ain't just a clever name.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people never get depressed no matter how much problems are piled onto them. Others meltdown at the slightest inconvenience.
Ever been to a mall a week before Xmas?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,483
Posts18,451,903
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.