Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Does anyone have data for loading shotshells with fiber wads? I have a few thousand fiber and card wads in 12 and 20 ga. and would like to use them for informal target shooting while leaving less plastic litter on my land. I don't like all the plastic shotcup wads lying around.
The main problem is that the only data I can find is from 30 year old manuals and most of the other components are different, especially hulls. Has anyone seen comparative pressure data from substituting fiber/card wads in a recipe for plastic wad/shotcups with no other changes? I suspect that pressures MAY be lower, because of a poorer gas seal, but I don't know for sure ( friction could be higher too) and so I'm reluctant to just try it out. I don't think pressure can be judged by " eyeball" very well when loading shotshells. Suggestions?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The best advice I can give on this subject is to browse over to Ballistic Products. I used to load some specialty ammo with a nitro card and a plastic wad on top of that, but that has been 10 or 15 years since. Youmay have to utilize the old data. Plastic cups are so much more efficient, that may be why you can't find any data since no one really uses it anymore.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have loaded alot of the older style wads in the 2.5in 12ga for short chamber English doubles, and would recomend the hulls that are straight wall, not the new std tapered hulls, for use with what you are considering. PB powder is a good choice for some very good low pressure field velocity loads.
23.0 of PB, 209 win or fed primer, one .135 nitro card, 2ea 3/8in fiber wads, 1 1/8oz shot, in a Fed paper or straight wall plastic hull. you can adjust the wad column to attain the proper crimp depth depending on the case used. this should give 1150fps at a sedate 7400LUP.
I have used this load in a VERY EXPENSIVE double gun with full confidence, I sure wouldnt want to be reponsible for pranging Winston Churchills grouse gun (documented).
The first edition of the Lyman shotshell handbook is a good one to find, and full of older load data thats still relevant
Hope this helps you to reach your goal.

P.S. you might have access to the Canuck paper hulls ,they are good too.

NRA Benefactor
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Would anybody be interested in what appear to be once fired Winchester all paper hulls with a paper base? I have probably 1000 of these fired hulls that I'd loaded with 17 gr of Red dot and the old AA12R Red wads for target shooting. My idea was to shoot them and leave them where they lay since I have so many of them, they make good target loads. I picked them up for free a few years back. They are sitting warm and dry in my garage.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you very much SOFMatchstaff! that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

sargenv, I'd take you up on that offer in heartbeat, but shipping to Canada is frowned upon by your government. Nice old paper hulls and fiber wads are just what I'd like to feed my AYA #1.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Castnblast, your welcome, if you need any futher assistance let me know. shotgun loading can get kinda involved at times. do you have the plastic over powder cup? if so reduce the powder charge a grain or so as these seal abit better,also changes the wad colunm height if used. what loader are you using?
SOF

Last edited by SOFMatchstaff; 10/10/08. Reason: spelling

NRA Benefactor
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
SOFMatchstaff, I'm trying to avoid using the plastic over powder gas seal cups, to minimize litter, but I do have a thousand or so of the old Winchester cups. Will likely load most of them as blanks for dog training or to use on formal ranges where they already have a lot of wads laying around.
I took your advice and found a first ed. Lyman book. Good reference! But, nearly all the hulls are made differently now. I understand that plastic base wads drive up pressure compared to the old paper or fiber base wad hulls. I thought I would stick to recipes that have pressure under 8000LUP and substitute whatever straight wall hull I have on hand, keeping all other components the same. Sound reasonable?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes its sounds OK, as long as the low pressure theme is followed. There are a lot of straight wall plastic hulls out there, Dianas, Wolf, ect, usually 6 pt that take a Fiocchi primer( bigger dia.) that will be great with the veggie wads. thats generally what I use as no one else wants em. Fed promo hulls are best though, std primer cup dia. and easy to acquire.
Al N

NRA Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.