Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I picked up a Savage 99 with a Weaver pivot/swingover style base and ring set, and was curious if anyone has any experience with this style. How repeatable is this set up, and do you see much shift in point of aim when rotating the scope out of the way?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jason280.

I have Weaver Pivot mounts on many of my tapped 99's. I have never had a problem with the guns losing their "zero" when the scope is pivoted to the side and returned to the top (locked) position. Many people dislike these mounts because there is the possibility that the scope could be jarred from its locked position and there's nothing worse than pulling a rifle up and having the crosshairs canted because the scope is not locked. I just check the scope before leaving the house or car (depending on the situation) to make sure it's locked, just as I make sure the scope magnification is set to a lower power, so I don't pull the rifle up to find it on 9x power. Snaping it in to place does make a "click" noise and it's something I prefer not to do in my treestand while hunting.

My brother prefers shoot thru bases (i forget what brand), so he can switch to open sights without having to pivot the scope. I don't like them because i feel they put the scope too high on what is normally a low profile, relatively sleek rifle.

Still others prefer the one piece (Leupold, Redfield, etc.) scope mounts which are surely the strongest, but offer no option for open sights should the need arise (at least without breaking out a screwdriver).

I hope this helps. If you decide not to keep them, you could always sell them on ebay for about $20-25 for the rings and bases. Good Luck & happy hunting. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I believe the bases/ring set is probably the original set purchased with the gun. The rifle is a '63 model, and I do believe the pivot mounts were available at the time. I've been debating on changing them over, but I have to admit I like the uniqueness as you simply don't see them anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had the pivot mounts on 2 different 99s and I do not see the point in having them. I could not see the iron sights good enough to make them useable when the scope was pivoted to the side. IMO the Weaver pivot mounts are useless.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had and used a set of Weaver pivot mounts on my pre-'64 Model 70 in .338 Winchester magnum and they always returned to "zero" if I pivoted the scope off to check the iron sights... and then back "on" to check the scope sights to be sure both sights were "on target"... and they always were.

Jus' my 2�.......... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one of those mounts on a 760 in 300 Savage. It worked fine for the scope, but as mentioned earlier it didn't allow use of the metalic sights. I ditched it for a plain Weaver base, because otherwise all the cool kids would have pointed and laughed.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've used them, but never needed the irons until I didn't have them. Of course. Tasco made a one piece base with swing over rings very similar in concept, had one of those as well, seemed well made.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I grew up in the late 60's, deer were commonly hunted with dogs in East Texas. This area was typically VERY thick brush and shots were close (under 50 yards) and fast!! The most common firearm was a shotgun loaded with buckshot with the few rifles used being open sighted lever actions or pumps.

As time went by, stands began to be used in the morning and evening hours (dogs were run in the middle of the day still) and the advantages of scopes were recognized. The problem was that almost no one (there was ONE outstanding exception in our group) wanted a scoped rifle when running dogs.

The deer were just too hard to pick up quickly in the scope and due to the fact that early scopes were often not as reliable as today.....no one really trusted them to not fail at a critical time. Those early scopes were believed to be fragile and too often tended to fog up in bad weather. Additionally, I don't know how many remember when the crosshairs of scopes were NOT centered, but many times the aiming point was off to one side and above or below center.......not an aid in fast shooting.

For this reason, ALL rifles carried open sights and scopes were mounted to give access to those sights. Various see-through mounts as well as different detachable mounts were popular......but the most used were the "swing" mounts giving instant use of the open sights, but allowing for swinging the scope in place if a standing shot was offered.

I found it interesting when reading an article several years ago (can't remember when or what magazine) where the author tested the repeatability of 8 or 9 different detachable scope mounts (some were VERY expensive too). He stated in the article that he had an older rifle that had the Weaver swing mounts and basically threw it into the test for kicks. Low and behold.....when the dust settled, that old Weaver swing mount beat out every other mount tested.....several times as the author repeated the test to confirm the original results.

I have used the swing mounts for more than 40 years and have never seen one fail or show signs of losing zero. In fact, to me, the Savage 99 just looks right with those mounts in place and I buy up every one I find.

I've actually only "needed" the swing feature a couple of times (mostly due to rain water on the scope lens), but it's good to know it's there......and it does work.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must have some tall irons if you can see them over the mount bases , I couldn't on the two I had.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a Marble tang sight & Pachymer swing down scope mount, it's no big deal to use either, and the Pachymer has always locked up at zero when swung back in place.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have redfield swing offs that came on my 308 F. Before I took it out hunting the first time I shot multiple times flipping it back and forth, shooting it with the scope in both positions and it has never lost zero. I can just see the top of the irons with this one.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have no trouble seeing the sights over the mounts with the scope out of position, so I wonder if they made different heights on the bases? Mine is a 99E, and it currently has an older Bushnell 4x32 scope. I can tell you, though, that a 40mm objective would not clear the rear sight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got several sets of them on M99s. Never had any trouble seeing the sights over them with the scope flipped to the side. Never had any issues with them not returning to zero either. Good stuff. Just make sure that they're properly locked in place before you head into the woods.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 89 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.