Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If you shoot and animal through the lungs and you watch the critter run 100 yards and than walk for a bit, then stop and finally fall over after being on it's feet for 5 minutes after the shot, cut it open and only find a caliber size hole through the lungs with no sign of expansion, but the bullet exited, is that a failure?

Man, that's like waiting for the blaze to die down a little and then throwing a can of gasoline on it...........I've going for another beer and more popcorn!

MM

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It was a 35 caliber ballistic tip fired into a 140 pound whitetail at 40 yards.

I don't feel you can blame the bullet because, as you stated yourself the deer did expire and you were able to collect it. The basic job of any "hunting" bullet is to do just that.

Yep, all the more reason to hunt with a 22 short and a pack of tracking dogs. So long as the critter dies, the bullet did what is was supposed to do, regardless if you need to track it for 3 days, 2 nights, across 4 counties, 2 rivers and one graveyard.

Gotta like that thinking.

For me, a ballistic tip that didn't expand is not only a failure but an oxymoron.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I don't feel you can blame the bullet because, as you stated yourself the deer did expire and you were able to collect it. The basic job of any "hunting" bullet is to do just that.

Yep, all the more reason to hunt with a 22 short and a pack of tracking dogs. So long as the critter dies, the bullet did what is was supposed to do, regardless if you need to track it for 3 days, 2 nights, across 4 counties, 2 rivers and one graveyard.

Gotta like that thinking.

For me, a ballistic tip that didn't expand is not only a failure but an oxymoron.

Back in the '80's, when BT's first came out, I saw several in .277 150 gr that penciled through on whitetails (up close and personal too). At the same time I was shooting .308 150's at 3100 fps and getting stellar results both on game and at the range. They've definitely changed since then.....

[Linked Image]
Moonrise over Bokeelia, "The Hill" Boca Grande Pass

"When you shoot a 270 towards something it's like an eagle flying mach speed shooting lightning bolts."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The deer was killed in 2003, should have caught up by then.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Mule Deer has stated several times on here and in print that the larger caliber BT's are designed to be much tougher than the smaller caliber BT's. Could be that the lungs of a 140 whitetails didn't provide enough resistance for a .35 cal BT. That might be by design and not a failure.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The deer was killed in 2003, should have caught up by then.

They did. laugh I think it was in 2001 that I had that same bullet shot into a red fox at similar distance come completely apart...still have the jacket which rattled to a stop on the snow just beyond. The early versions were purported to be soft so they must have toughened them by 2003. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bullets that have not failed me include the nefarious 150 grain Ballistic Tip fired out of my 7x57 at 2700fps. I have shot deer from many angles and distances with this bullet, all went down pretty fast and I have yet to recover one. My first experiences with the 100 grain partition were a bit spotty also from my 6MM Remington so I used different bullets like the Gameking, Ballistic Tips and various Interloks with good result. The early X bullets from my 338 Win mag, the 225 non coated version caused more trouble for me than any other single bullet. Good thing elk are easy to track in snow and I was much younger then. Really soured me on them and in waiting for the perfect Barnes mono to appear at a somewhat reasonable cost my hair has greyed somewhat. I have had a box of the 85 grain TSX bullets waiting to be loaded in my 6MM for several years but when the 95 grain Ballistic Tip kills so well they will probably be traded off first.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you shoot and animal through the lungs and you watch the critter run 100 yards and than walk for a bit, then stop and finally fall over after being on it's feet for 5 minutes after the shot, cut it open and only find a caliber size hole through the lungs with no sign of expansion, but the bullet exited, is that a failure?

"Dead" deer do seem to run when in doubt - if they can. I was put off by a bullet I used many years ago because the deer ran as far as it did. In reality that animal sprayed blood as if out of a hose initially, then blew most of its trashed lungs out along a well marked trail it left. OTOH, I was surpised again by a BT, a 100 grainer out of a 25-06, which was quite speedy at the short distance it went to arrive, broadside, into the chest of a bull caribou. Tiny hole in; tiny hole out. As "dead" caribou often do, he just walked in circles for a bit and toppled over. Lungs were soup though.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Alamosa
Recovered bullets just like those (in quantity) are the reason I no longer use NPs... The most over-rated bullet out there, IMO&E.
art

Too funny...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many people have become confused at to what constitutes success or failure.............

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They all look pretty much the same.Least I know they'll always expand

Unless they don't have enough velocity.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
They all look pretty much the same.Least I know they'll always expand

Unless they don't have enough velocity.

Sure; true of any bullet,really.We have to stick within those confounded design parameters..... frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
C
They fail very consistently. If they were designed to fall apart, why doesn't Nosler use a picture of a Partition that has fallen apart instead of one with a nice mushroom and integrity?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nothing like digging up a 14 year old thread to introduce one's self....and then have so much to say about the topic.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Many people have become confused at to what constitutes success or failure.............

MM
He'll it's got so bad some can't tell if their male or female.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CTurls
They fail very consistently. If they were designed to fall apart, why doesn't Nosler use a picture of a Partition that has fallen apart instead of one with a nice mushroom and integrity?
JFC.

Does McDonalds sell food by showing pictures of the shiits it makes? Does your favorite auto make sell vehicles by showing pics of one totaled in a deadly crash?

Sales never was reality, you fuucking retard.

Rant over.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Atkinson maybe has it right. So does SD. I too think them over-rated. (But I don't use Barnes TSX or TTSX either, and haven't, except some 120 in .260 factory loads, which gave me 5" "groups". That gun doesn't like ANYTHING but 140's, any flavor....)

I had a 210NP.338WM fail on a moose at 100 yards, the first time I used that bullet on game. Hand load. It blew up on the shoulder blade, peppering the nearside lung with bits of lead and bone, no damage to the far side lung. Never found the base - I think it exited from the entry wound , perhaps just dropping out during the dressing process- or maybe when he stood up when I was 10 feet away. That was "interesting"! I never used them again on game, just for targets.

The 250 weight performed as they should the several times I've used them, as did the 180 in '06. I have never recovered any.

But I still quit using them, for the most part. Less expensive bullets are more accurate in my guns and do just as well on game. Not that the accuracy was out of bounds for the NP- just less so than others.

I have a box of (140?) NP bullets that came with the 7X57 that I will load up and use, after I work up some cheaper loads to get a handle on things in that arena. If they shoot well enough, and I'm pretty sure they will.

Last edited by las; 11/11/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve used partitions for 45 years on deer and pigs. I’ve never recovered one, haven’t lost an animal I’ve shot. If I had to get down to one bullet, it would be a partition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CTurls

Lol way to pull up a zombie for your first post.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m thinking he’s a bot.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 35 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.