Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey everybody, couldn't find what I needed with the search!

Here's the problem, 338 win mag will only eject about half of the cartridges, fired or unfired, not brass specific, not full length sized or neck sized specific. Bore has been cleaned very thoroughly. The ejector itself looks clean and "sharp", visually it looks identical to my other #1's. I'm out of ideas, anybody have one? Maybe a particle is nestled down deep not allowing the ejector to seat far enough in the rim? Are there some instructions out there on how to get to it? Thanks a bunch!

Matt

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is the ejector jumping past the rim?

Jim
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
yeah, it "slides" around the rim as force is put on opening the lever

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mattparliament
yeah, it "slides" around the rim as force is put on opening the lever

Make sure your ejector spring is in the gun, working, and/or is strong enough.
S/S

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nothing like having a No.1 that does not always extract/eject the case is there? Always somewhat puzzling, but yet can be interesting to learn from.

The No.1 ejector is usually pretty good from the factory as to function. Has the rifle always had this issue or has it just come on lately? That might give you some clues of what is the source of the issue.

The No.1 ejector is one that has forward movement as well as left/right movement. The left/right movement is somewhat there for rimless cases but also works fine for rimmed or belted cases. There is a small roller on the breechblock that moves the ejector arm forward as you close the action. The ejector's left/right movement is from a small coil spring that inserts into the ejector arm recess on its left and presses against the left interior side of the receiver. On top of this coil spring is a cap that rides on the receiver side during breechblock movements. One might note that the left/right movement is mainly to be spring loaded, but the diameter of the hole in the ejector and the relative thickness of the circular section of the ejector body contributes to this left/right movement. The ejector is but one of a few parts that ride on the action's cross shaft, and in some fairly close tolerances. The rightmost movement is postively retained by a cut in the action and barrel face.

Sometimes a new ejector can be too thick in the circular section and does not allow the spring to power the ejector very far to the right. I have not seen the ejector's hole(shaft riding), not being large enough for this issue, but always a possiblity.

One can do a visual on the ejector movements with a empty case. Insert the empty case into the action and slowly close the action. While closing the action watch(safety glasses) the ejector go forward, then to the left(to get over the case), and to the right to engage the case rim. This engagement of ejector to case rim should be a hairline type fit visually. If you can see some of the ejector's surface that should be under the rim, then ejection will be weak.

If you lower the breechblock with the lever a little at a time, you can see(safety glasses) the static engagement of the ejector to case rim. Lower the breechblock slowly..........keeping your eyes/snoz out of the way and watch the case begin to be ejected. One can push on the ejector arm/hook with a small screw driver to see the little coil spring working, the ejector should engage the rim smartly when released. Most of the ejectors over shoot the limits of the case rim exterior, in order to get a good bite(fit) into the case rim/groove.

One might take a looksee at what is happening in slow motion to see if you can tell anything. Really do not know what your issue is but you might take the time to disassemble the rifle action to clean throughly. If any dirt/debris from firing is down in the works; especially around the circular sections of parts(ejector, hammer, lever, liftingarm)that ride on the cross shaft, the ejector might not be wanting to move to the right far enough. The slipping over of the ejector kinda suggests something perhaps is limiting left/right travel.........or the ejector hook surfaces are damaged. The No.1 is not that bad to take apart, the manual has some words on such; but if uncomfortable with such, you local gunsmith probably has seen one before and can help out. If you do disassemble the action, be sure to use a tight fitting rod to capture the hammer spring that resides in the welded on forearm hanger; life will be easier upon reassembly if you have a fully retracted hammer spring.

Other possible things for hard ejection of the spent case is too hot a load, improper sizing, or a ringed/rough chamber. The latter will show up on a fired case as a mark around the case.

Just some shots in the dark.

FWIW,

Last edited by redz06; 10/11/08.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't dug into a #1 in a long time but if my rememorizer is working at all, I think my first two had adjustable ejectors. they could be set to eject a round or just extract it as for use at bench rest.

I'll dig through my old manuals and see what's there. I think it was a simple spring adjustment under the forearm.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From the manual:

EXTRACTION AND EJECTION MECHANISM
In the event that snap-action automatic ejection is not desired, remove the forearm and back off on the ejector strut adjustment screw until the ejector spring unit can be removed (see figure 2). The ejector will then function as an extractor only, and the cartridge (or shell) will be partially removed from the chamber by the final downward motion of the lever. If the snap-action mechanism is replaced, do not over-tighten the adjustment screw because this will bind the action"} The force of ejection can be altered to some extent by the adjustment screw.

The owner's manual has a diagram of the action right here but it won't copy to this post.cop

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt,
Sorry to read this. I didn't shoot that rifle much (like one range session or two at most) and don't ever remember having an issue. For the life of me I can't remember what cases I used. I do know some loads were factory Federal.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated. I gave the gun to my dad who had this problem while "practicing" with the gun. About half of them would stick, fired or unfired, reloaded or factory. Unforunately, he left this morning for his elk trip, I bet he'll be using his browning high wall 45-70. I'll let you know what we figure out.

Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt,
If unfired new loads sometimes "stick" in the chamber I would almost bet there is something in the chamber. I am sure it worked perfect for me otherwise I would never sell it.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (35, 44mc, 2UP, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.