Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just ordered a 700 VLSF in 22-250 (pick it up Sat). This rig will be my calling gun for 'yotes and bobcat, with occasional other targets of opportunity. I've had the trigger smoothed and set to 2.5 lbs (by a good gun smith). I am concerned that the stainless barrel and action, although "satin", may be to flashy for close in calling work. Any thouoghts on this topic?

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rustoleum.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's what a buddy of mine keeps saying. I think I'd rather scare off a dog or two than spray down a fine rifle. The stock, maybe, the action, etc.....I don't know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have that same rifle in a Swift and a buddy and me were out calling coyotes. He had a caller with a remote so he went to set it up. When he got back he said "you might as well be holding a light saber, your barrel glows". If you don't want to rattle can it, have you thought about teflon or tuff coat baked on finish?

2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought about the teflon. I've heard good things about that. I guess the skeptic in me says wait and see if the pig will shoot before I doll it up too bad. I've never had a new Remington that didn't shoot, but this will be my first experience with a 250 for yotes..I'm usually a .243 fan. But change is good....right?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've spray painted a bunch of 'em. It's a simple thing to remove it off your metal with kutzit paint remover...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For close in work have you considered some type of gillie style wrap or cover? No muss and no fuss when you want to take it off.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
2crow Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have seen the "wraps" and they look pretty good. And like you said, "no muss". I guess the proof will come if I see that yote look my way and scram from a shine.
I picked the rifle up Sat morning, cleaned it, mounted the new 4.5x14 VX III on 'er, and then off to the range. She didn't like the 55 grn Winchester Bal Slvr Tip factory loads I picked up, but she seems to shoot the handloads I had laying around from an old Ruger 22-250 I had a year or so ago. It's a good thing since I had close to 650 rounds loaded (a prairie dog trip went bad, lots of left over ammo). Of all the bullets to work well, this one uses a 55 grn Rem PLHP over a reduced load of H380. It was all I could find that would shoot in the old Heavy Brl Ruger at the time.
The 1st shot out of a clean gun from the new Light Varmint opened the 5 shot group up to .89". If I could discount that one, the other 4 went into .49". Slow or not, if the bullet does what I hope it will, it ought to work alright on coyotes.
This new Light Varmint seems to have come from the factory with less of a shine on it than the VSF modles I am familiar with. I am hoping that with the flat black stock and matt scope, I don't shine too bad, so I can put that Remington bullet to good use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't wrap a rifle.
First reason, it might muck up those lovely group sizes.
Second, if you can't stand the glow, since you have a shooter, don't be bashful about spray-canning or tuffkoteing the pipe...a ratty gun is less likely to be stolen as it's hard to pawn.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2crow-I've been around rifles like that a fair bit when calling yotes--honestly I'd not worry one bit. To me the gun color is about the last thing I worry about when calling yotes..just my thoughts.

Although I did spray pain my 17 end to end with white paint.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,536 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.