Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It is EXACTLY what most of us thought it would be. He and his ilk hate gun owners and will make it as difficult as they can to own or possess guns legally. We might as well live in Mexico or Canada if he gets this through. It is going to be very important that the moderate democrats that were elected in 06 really remain 'moderates' with common sense and protect the industry and our hobby.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4227

"Yes We Can . . . Ban Guns"--Obama Announces Gun Ban Agenda Before The Final Vote Count Is In

Friday, November 07, 2008

Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign slogan, "the audacity of hope," should have instead been "the audacity of deceit." After months of telling the American people that he supports the Second Amendment, and only hours after being declared the president-elect, the Obama transition team website announced an agenda taken straight from the anti-gun lobby--four initiatives designed to ban guns and drive law-abiding firearm manufacturers and dealers out of business:

"Making the expired federal assault weapons ban permanent." Perhaps no other firearm issue has been more dishonestly portrayed by gun prohibitionists. Notwithstanding their predictions that the ban's expiration in 2004 would bring about the end of civilization, for the last four years the nation's murder rate has been lower than anytime since the mid-1960s. Studies for Congress, the Congressional Research Service, the National Institute of Justice, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found no evidence that gun prohibition or gun control reduces crime. Guns that were affected by the ban are used in only a tiny fraction of violent crime-about 35 times as many people are murdered without any sort of firearm (knives, bare hands, etc.), as with "assault weapons." Obama says that "assault weapons" are machine guns that "belong on foreign battlefields," but that is a lie; the guns are only semi-automatic, and they are not used by a military force anywhere on the planet.

"Repeal the Tiahrt Amendment." The amendment--endorsed by the Fraternal Order of Police--prohibits the release of federal firearm tracing information to anyone other than a law enforcement agency conducting a bona fide criminal investigation. Anti-gun activists oppose the restriction, because it prevents them from obtaining tracing information and using it in frivolous lawsuits against law-abiding firearm manufacturers. Their lawsuits seek to obtain huge financial judgments against firearm manufacturers when a criminal uses a gun to inflict harm, even though the manufacturers have complied with all applicable laws.

"Closing the gun show loophole." There is no "loophole." Under federal law, a firearm dealer must conduct a background check on anyone to whom he sells a gun, regardless of where the sale takes place. A person who is not a dealer may sell a gun from his personal collection without conducting a check. Gun prohibitionists claim that many criminals obtain guns from gun shows, though the most recent federal survey of convicted felons put the figure at only 0.7 percent. They also claim that non-dealers should be required to conduct checks when selling guns at shows, but the legislation they support goes far beyond imposing that lone requirement. In fact, anti-gun members of Congress voted against that limited measure, holding out for a broader bill intended to drive shows out of business.

"Making guns in this country childproof." "Childproof" is a codeword for a variety of schemes designed to prevent the sale of firearms by imposing impossible or highly expensive design requirements, such as biometric shooter-identification systems. While no one opposes keeping children safe, the fact is that accidental firearm-related deaths among children have decreased 86 percent since 1975, even as the numbers of children and guns have risen dramatically. Today, the chances of a child being killed in a firearm accident are less than one in a million.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by thechamp

"Closing the gun show loophole." There is no "loophole." Under federal law, a firearm dealer must conduct a background check on anyone to whom he sells a gun, regardless of where the sale takes place. A person who is not a dealer may sell a gun from his personal collection without conducting a check. Gun prohibitionists claim that many criminals obtain guns from gun shows, though the most recent federal survey of convicted felons put the figure at only 0.7 percent. They also claim that non-dealers should be required to conduct checks when selling guns at shows, but the legislation they support goes far beyond imposing that lone requirement. In fact, anti-gun members of Congress voted against that limited measure, holding out for a broader bill intended to drive shows out of business.

Is that the same "gun show loophole" legislation that John McCain, the NRA endorsed candidate, sponsored??
No doubt we are in for a real crap fest- perhaps if the NRA had not endorsed gun grabber McCain we would not be in that mess. The good news is that now maybe NRA ENDORSED McCain will be able to get his gunshow loophole legislation passed.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Don't blame the NRA they made a decision and held their nose like everyone else. You got a guy that wants to kill gun shows vs a guy that wants to kill the whole industry. Sounds like you voted for the guy that wants to kill the whole industry. Obama has already posted his agenda and you read it at the top.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a section here specifically for that.....

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Don't blame the NRA they made a decision and held their nose like everyone else.

They endorsed a candidate, who sponsors one of the bits of legislation the NRA is crying about in the above cut and paste. That is ridiculous. The NRA should not endorse gun grabbers-period. I do not support organizations that prmote gun control, and that includes the NRA. Perhaps if they stop endorsing known gun grabbers, and only endorse pro gun folks, maybe politicians will come to the right side of the gun issue. As long as the NRA endorses those with gun control tendencies, there really is know reason for the politician to change. Sign all the gun grabbing legislation you like-just make sure it is less than the other guy, and the NRA will endorse you.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The thing that pisses me off is---WHERE WERE ALL THE GUN OWNERS IN AMERICA ON NOV 4, 2008. Seems to me like they didn't pull the correct levers or mark an X in the correct voting ballot.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

The thing that really pissed me off is how many people bought into his bullshit! They really thought that he wasn't going to do anything. How stupid can you get? His WHOLE track record was one of being anti-Second Amendment! His friends are scumbag leftist who despise the people's ability to fight back. Duh! Let's just hope and pray that the pro-gun folks in congress can stop this madness. If not... kiss the country we knew good bye. mad

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cdhunt
The thing that pisses me off is---WHERE WERE ALL THE GUN OWNERS IN AMERICA ON NOV 4, 2008. Seems to me like they didn't pull the correct levers or mark an X in the correct voting ballot.

Right after Sept 15, or the mortgage meltdown....guns, terrorism, healthcare, eduaction ect, all took a backseat to the economy. What makes me mad is that so many people think more govt will make things better. This is not new. Before the BIG depression in the 30s, there was a much smaller one that brought about the Taft Hartley Act which added many tariffs to foreign trade and thus greatly expaned govt. Hello BIG depression and 25% of folks out of work...

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
B
I think the reason he wants to take our guns soo badly is so when we're all disarmed his Muslim towlhead brethren can invade our country and we'll be DEFENSELESS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it will take at least a few generations to do any serious disarming. Yes he may make some stuff illegal. I couldn't believe it when I saw a moderator on another site say BHO would need a gun control bill from congress(AWB) to outlaw them & he wouldn't get it because they would worry about re-election. This was all very evident early in the election. Fasten your belt, turbulence ahead.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI, the NRA never endorsed McCain. They OPPOSED Obama. They never explicitly endorsed him.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by corporal cleg
I do not support organizations that prmote gun control, and that includes the NRA.

I love guys like you. Who do you support ? Unless you have some decent answer you are part of the problem. I don't like everything the NRA does but I am certainly a member. Like them or not, they are the reason we still enjoy our second amendment rights.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jdunham
I do not support organizations that prmote gun control, and that includes the NRA.

I love guys like you. Who do you support ? Unless you have some decent answer you are part of the problem. I don't like everything the NRA does but I am certainly a member. Like them or not, they are the reason we still enjoy our second amendment rights.

Couldn't have said it better! Nothing is perfect but they are all we really have on our side.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Couldn't have said it better! Nothing is perfect but they are all we really have on our side.

I wonder if he feels the same way about his wife, "ALL OR NOTHING" I bet I would know the answer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I love guys like you. You all repeat that silly mantra; "you are part of the problem", "they are the reason...." blah blah blah. Does the NRA send its members a little list of talking points to counter those who realize their anti gun agenda??

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by lithian
FYI, the NRA never endorsed McCain.

Yes they did. They endorsed that gun grabber for the 2008 election.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Wow,,,,,,,,,2 fellow gun owners GET IT!!!! Thank you both!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
corporal cleg, come out. Did you vote FOR Obama? Seem to be doing a little guilty side-stepping here.

Last edited by 338Federal; 11/12/08.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 338Federal
corporal cleg, come out. Did you vote FOR Obama? Seem to be doing a little guilty side-stepping here.

Side stepping? I dont think so.
To answer your question-No I did not vote for Obama. Nor did I vote for McCain. I do not vote for gun grabbers (unlike the NRA).

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 338Federal

Side stepping? I dont think so.
To answer your question-No I did not vote for Obama. Nor did I vote for McCain. I do not vote for gun grabbers (unlike the NRA).

So you were content to allow the biggest liberal in America to get elected? Most of us didn't like McCain either, but this was a case where you voted for the platform and the party. Not necessarily the idiot leading the ticket. The republicans would have kept McCain straight. For all his maverick crap he sure was singing the republican tune on 99% of the issues. You're making this really difficult. You'd rather not vote for the lesser of evils and thusly allow the most evil dictator ever to get himself elected? Wow what a concept...

NOT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
547 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.