Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
So....should I just not worry about it and go after my elk with the 7mm Rem Mag and save the money to buy a youth shotgun for my almost 10 year old twin boy and girl?

I honestly have a hard time telling much difference between what a 7mm bullet will do versus a 30 cal. If you can't tell much difference between a 325 and 300 maybe I should not even worry about it and leave well enough alone. I have killed two cow elk and one spike bull with my 7mm and 160 Accubonds. Just thought I might like a little larger frontal diameter to create more initial shock and "knockdown" if there is such a thing.

Firehawk

Best darn idea of this thread is to just use your 7, I've used one a ton load on elk and just can't imagine a finer round....

Save your money and buy a youth 870 BB gun for your twins I say!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Party pooper... <grin>...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Jeff O, I really like the idea of the 325 WSM because it is different than what most people like. A few years ago, hardly anyone had heard of a 7mm-08 let alone wanted to buy one. Now they are much more popular. I loved that I had a rifle and cartridge that others didn't have. Kept things interesting.

I think this is part of the draw to the 325 WSM for me. There are a lot of 300WSMs and 338 Win Mags around these parts, but I honestly don't know a single person with a 325 WSM. That is what is so fun about this forum. I can have a "unique" gun and still feel like I am part of a "fraternity" of sorts. I can draw on others' experience and learn from that. We certainly don't have a lot of experience around town here to draw from, so I rely on you guys.

So...don't count me out on the "fan club" just yet. Just weighing out my options. Definitely need to get a youth shotgun though, but I shouldn't stop there wink

Firehawk

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 11/11/08.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
buy a .325 for the twins. They will both appreciate it someday.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
buy a .325 for the twins. They will both appreciate it someday.

Last fall my then 8 year old almost 9 year old son accompanied me for a mulie doe hunt. We hiked together up the steep slopes and then we found the deer. We stalked together, slid on our hind ends together to get a good shot. He watched through the binos while I stuck a 140 Ballistic Tip through her lungs and he yelled "You got it" when she went right down. I was as excited as I ever have been, well close anyway. Way cool!

Anyway, after the field dressing chores, I helped him shoot a 140 Ballistic Tip into the mountain with the little 7mm-08. He thought that that was way cool. So....you know that it won't be long and he will want the 7 mag and his twin sister or little brother will want the 7mm-08 so I better get the 325 WSM just so that I have something to hunt with. whistle

Now that would be sneeky.... wink

Firehawk

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is your 7 mag set up EXACTLY like you want it to be? If not and it's not of extreme sentimental value I'd spend the $$ towards customizing your current one before going with a new rifle. Just my $0.02...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got to say I agree. Use the 7 and spend your money on something worth while. I highly doubt you or anyone else could tell the diffrence between an elk shot with a 7mag and a 325WSM or anything in between for that matter. I've seen em tip over after taking a 6mm slug to the heart, and have seen them run for 3-400 yards after being shot through the ribs with 338cals. They're all diffrent. One thing that has remained constant in all the kills I've witnessed however... Put on through the ribs and you'll soon be packing elk meat.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Pointer,

I think that the barrel is about done on my 7mm. I have shot it a lot over the years and was considering getting a new Schillen or similar installed in the offseason. Some of my previous "best" loads are no longer shooting well, but I now have found this load with the 160 Accubond that shoots really good so I have held off for the meantime.

I have installed a Nutmeg Laminated stock from Boyds on the rifle, had the trigger adjusted properly and installed a nice scope. The barrel currently is free floated and a good member here on these boards sold me some bottom metal so that I could have a hinged floor plate which it didn't have before the Boyd's stock. So I really like this rifle with the exception of a new barrel which is in the plans.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My friend, Pay close attention.
You are in desperate need of another rifle to hunt with. If you won't think of yourself, think of the babies. One will need the 7/08 and the other, the 7 mag.

You definitely need a .325 WSM. If you are inclined toward the A bolt, then a stainless stalker so chambered and listed at a paltry 500.00 tariff would fit the bill for you marvelously.

Run. Don't walk, to that gunshop and buy that rifle to make for your own.

You and the kids need it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's something poetic about owning a pair of Winchester mm's - a 7mm (7wsm) for deer and an 8mm (325wsm) for the bigger stuff. It may not be necessary, but it sure sounds good.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This is Firehawk's wife.

What in the world.....!?! I do believe we have a gun safe in the basement that is FULL! Why in the world does my husband need ANOTHER gun!?????

For the babies! Sheesh!

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
This is Firehawk's wife.

What in the world.....!?! I do believe we have a gun safe in the basement that is FULL! Why in the world does my husband need ANOTHER gun!?????

For the babies! Sheesh!

Why does hee need another gun????!!!!! Why do you may him keep the gun safe in the BASEMENT?????????!!!!!!!

Women never understand..... wink No offense Mrs. Firehawk wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This should be Firehawk, in response to his lovely wife's statement.

I LOVE YOU, HONEY!
And besides, baby, those other guns won't do what this one would. Anyway, it is a good investment....Did I mention that I Love you, HONEY?

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I am sorry that she even caught wind of my discussions. cry Man I am in trouble now. May be a while before this project takes shape, but it will.

She is really sweet, but has a hard time understanding what all the guns are needed for. I keep explaining that each has its intended purpose and this "new" gun would definitely have a purpose. wink

Firehawk.

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 11/12/08.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This is Firehawk's wife.

For the babies! Sheesh!

I have tried to explain that if I can't fit more guns into my safe, then the safe just isn't big enough now is it? Hasn't gone over so well. grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In the interest of organization, I submit that another safe is needed so that long guns and short guns can be stored seperately.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I put another "overflow" safe out in my (recording) studio. It's for the microphones you see (cough cough)...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fire Hawk, it is indeed fun having a little bit of an oddball like a .325 <g>. My two main rifles this year were my .358 and my .325. Both of those are about as potent as it gets, for the parent case anyway.

Dober has a pretty cool oddball- a 338 WSM wildcat.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love it!
grin

I am now on my 2nd gunsafe, it is a biggy-may take me a while to fill it.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My overflow safe has a gorgeous stainless Marlin 44 mag carbine... my turkey shotgun... a 1904 Winchester lever gun... my Sendero... my M700P in .223... a Springfield M1a... a Kimber 1911... a 7mm-08 Mountain Rifle... and probably a couple other things that escape me right now.

It'd make a pretty good REAL gun safe <g>....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.