Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wisam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm wanting to do a black bear hunt somewhere in the Midwest, and was wondering where I'd have the best chance of drawing a tag. I'm a Wisconsin resident, but it takes quite a while to draw a tag there. Therefore, my choices are Mn or Mi.

My research indicates that the Eastern part of the UP (Newberry unit) is my best bet. If I'm reading the stats correctly, a nonresident has a 60% chance of drawing on the first try. Am I reading this correctly?

Anyone have much luck drawing a non resident tag in Mn?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say Mn would be easier with Mi a close second. The bear hunting bug has bitten me bad over the last few years. This is what I did; last year my buddy and I applied for Mn. I think it was area 51. In the meantime, we've been applying for Mi points. Next year, we'll have 4 and we'll draw a tag. We don't need 4 but that's how it worked out.All this time we've been accumulating points here in Wi. We'll be going in 2010 or 2011.
Back to your original question, Mn would be the easiest as they have units where all the tags would not be applied for in the draw. These remaining tags are sold over the counter at a later date. If you can be flexible a little bit, I think you can hunt MN every year as a non resident.
All of this makes tax hell Wisconsin look pretty sick as I can hunt black bear in Mn or Mi easier and more often as a non resident confused
If you need more details, PM me
PS the dnr people in Mn are first rate with ?s you may have

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wisam - if you reside in Wisconsin you could go to Ontario without too much trouble. Look into it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wisam - I forgot to ask whether you are interested in a spring or fall hunt. If a spring hunt, forget Ontario, the govt. ended it quite a few years ago. Bear hunting is not pursued by as many hunters in Ontario as it is elsewhere. From what I have been told by people who do hunt them, they have become much more numerous lately. Hunters have only just recently been modifying their activities to the fall season.
Check the web sites for outfitters who specialize in hunting black bears.
Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My understanding of Michigan bear regs is that no more than .02 of the tags are awarded to non-residents. In the western U.P. residents can get a tag nearly every year, but I don't know how long a non-resident might have to wait.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You can get a mn. bear tag most every year and there is alot of public land there filled with big bears.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 2% rule is correct. If a non res is willing to go 3rd season you can go more often. On Mi dnr web site , they list drawing success from the previous year . This year's data is there if you need it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wisam

MN is where you want to apply. I've received a tag every year I applied.

MI(UP) is a 4-5yr wait for non-res depending on the zone and season.

WI is rediculous!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Boundary Waters of Minnesota has zones which never issue all the available tags. Just inquire at the DNR.

The reason is the season begins just as the snow is coming, and it is an area that requires padding a minimum of 20 miles in by canoe to find bears. But bears and wolves are plentiful. Take a shotgun, as the grouse and duck season open then, too.

PM me if you like

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.