Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have a older 870 .20 gauge with a full choke barrel will it hurt the barrel if I shoot 2 3/4" rifle slugs?
Any Guess on the accuracy ?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always heard that shooting slugs through a full choke will not be a problem for the barrel - accuracy is a big question. You will definitely want to shoot a bunch before hunting to see if the accuracy will be acceptable and if so, where it hits in relation to point of aim.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slugs won't hurt your barrel, but you will get better accuracy with the Foster Type slugs from a smooth bore barrel . IC or CYL choke instead of Full will give you the best accuracy from you shotgun.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
When I was a kid my brother shot at a deer with hr toppper full choke with a pumpkinball and it blew the bead off the end of the barrel so I alway thought it might not be a good thing

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You will not hurt the full choke barrel but the chances of good accuracy are slim. Most factory slug barrels are open choke.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great question, I was wondering the same thing.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am currently using a full choke and load with a cocktail of a foster slug in the chamber followed by three OO Buck shot in the mag. The whole point of the slug is accuracy and heavy damage, if that doesn't drop him then I have three shots to get him down. My Uncle calls me the lameinator. Luckily enough I use a rifle 95% of the time.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TackDriven
I have a older 870 .20 gauge with a full choke barrel will it hurt the barrel if I shoot 2 3/4" rifle slugs?
Any Guess on the accuracy ?
Thanks

The reason I was give for not shooting slugs out of full choke was that eventually it would bulge the barrel in the region of the choke. It would not be a dangerous thing, just cosmetic. The resale value of the barrel would be about nil.

After I heard that, I went out and bought a dedicated deer barrel and left the trap barrel home. Just so you know: my accuracy with an IC choke on the new deer barrel went up dramatically.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What the guys above said plus Do Not! shoot a foster style slug out of a screw in full choked barrel either unless you want to send the choke downrange along with the slug.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.