Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I want to try making this but there seems to be dozens of variations on the theme.

Unless anybody can recommend an alternative, I intend trying the recipe below:

Broccoli and Blue Stilton soup

Ingredients

* 25g butter
* 1 small onion, diced
* 450g broccoli
* 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
* 100g Stilton cheese
* 150ml single cream

Method

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes.

2. Finely chop the broccoli florets and stems, reserving a couple of unchopped broccoli florets to decorate.

3. Add all the broccoli to the onion plus the chicken stock and bring to the boil.

4. Boil for 5 minutes.

5. Remove the broccoli florets for garnish, then blend the rest with the stock until very finely chopped.

6. Crumble the Stilton, reserving a few crumbles to garnish the soup.

7. Add the Stilton to the soup and whizz briefly.

8. Stir in the cream and heat gently, but do not boil.

9. Season to taste.

10. Garnish with the broccoli florets and a few crumbles of Stilton.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good but what is Stilton Cheese?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Elkhunter76,

Its the really smelly cheese which is riddled with blue mould! I have to confess I am not a huge fan of Stilton on its own, and much prefer it as a flavour mixed with other things...

If you like cheese, another really good soup is cauliflower and cheddar ...

Damn, I'm feeling hungry again now!

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stilton is a blue cheese!

Sassy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, THE classic British blue cheese. If I could get it here, I sure as shootin' wouldn't be wasting it in soup, though! Instead, I'd be having Stilton and apples with a snifter of decent brandy for dessert. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yup, THE classic British blue cheese. If I could get it here, I sure as shootin' wouldn't be wasting it in soup, though! Instead, I'd be having Stilton and apples with a snifter of decent brandy for dessert. Ahhhhhhhhh!

I think you can get in the States, but a bad Stilton habit would probably be kind of expensive! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure we can get Stilton. It's not that expensive compared to the high end domestic blues we have such as the Rogue River creamery products. I remember reading an article excerp in the past from around 1700 talking about Stilton. The author said something about the mites and maggots being so thick you had to scrape them off the get a piece of ripe cheese! grin
I guess they didn't quite have the same food handeling abilities we do today.
I'll take mine with a nice glass of port and some walnuts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be having Stilton and apples with a snifter of decent brandy for dessert. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Good that way, also good as a few crumbles melted on top of a steak.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to do hash browns then put some Stilton on top then pop them under the broiler.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stetson
Sure we can get Stilton. It's not that expensive compared to the high end domestic blues we have such as the Rogue River creamery products. I remember reading an article excerp in the past from around 1700 talking about Stilton. The author said something about the mites and maggots being so thick you had to scrape them off the get a piece of ripe cheese! grin
I guess they didn't quite have the same food handeling abilities we do today.
I'll take mine with a nice glass of port and some walnuts.

I'm not too keen on the walnuts, but rounding off a good meal with a cheese board and a glass (or two) of port is the civilized way to end a days deer stalking!

Its not practical to do in the summer due to the long days, but in winter, when every body is back in by 5pm at the very latest, its a very nice way to fill the long evening..It also helps that reveille the next morning is at a relatively sane hour too!

Regards,

Peter

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Oh yeah!!
(but maybe a snifter...... or three!!!)

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I tried the soup today and it went pretty well..

You need to chop the broccoli very small in order for it to be covered by the 500ml; I added an extra 250ml of stock and although the end result was a little "thin", it was still very tasty...Next I will also double the amount of Stilton in it...

But all in all, it was very tasty and it can be knocked up from scratch in about 20 minutes...

Last edited by Pete E; 11/23/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.