-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check out the sales at Midway after season. I bought a top-end Browning quad parka last spring for $89. I'm down with wool too, and underarmor.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had the same problem for years, cold in the morning and evenings and warm in the day. I do have a lot of camo but mostly because it has quieter fabric than the hiking/backpacking alternative. Mostly I have built a layering system of regular clothes that includes fleece, poly undies etc. that includes a backpack which becomes my clothing reservior. I actually will wear a "wick to" layer over my "wicking from" layers to hold that moisture away from my body, it works well for me but do not have to suffer the Alaskan 35 degree rain very often. I usually pack a huge amount of gloves as I have issues with cold hands. Then of course comes all the other gadgets that I can't live without...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd rather hunt naked than wear cotton in wet weather.

I've made that mistake (not hunting naked, but wearing cotton.) I was hunting black bears in AK and we hiked in about 3 miles. I worked up a sweat and my cotton boxers were soaked. We were camped on a melting avalanche, watching the other side of the valley for black bears, and my underwear wouldn't dry out. I finally pulled down my pants and cut them off. (Just my underpants crazy .) I was momentarily nekid I guess, but I was a lot more comfortable after that. blush

Now I wear UnderArmor. Your first layer should not hold moisture. Never wear cotton next to your skin in cold weather, if there's a chance it can get wet. There's a reason Alaskans say "cotton kills."

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wool and/or fleece are the way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have camo cargo pants.....a couple camo tees....a camo scarf....a camo house key(sorta dum....when getting home at 2 in the AM and dropping it in the grass on my way up the stairs...lol)....and few pairs of camo panties(I know, TMI)....but I don't wear it when I am in the woods.

I wear dark colored Gortex(sp?)...over the top of longjohns....and layers if it is cold. I LOATHE being hot.....so if I have a pack with me I just wear the shell and pack extra layers that slide if the wind picks up or the temps drop.

That said, I am still new to this....

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.