Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MissTreated
I just attended a Canon sponsored seminar (which was essentially an infomercial for Canon) and the Canon rep said for must of us, don't get the 5D. He thought for the average ameteur, the 50D was much more versatile.

If you "just" attended a Canon seminar they would have been discussing the 5DMKII not the 5D. Further I seriously doubt any Canon rep would say such a thing about the 5D which is almost universally considered THE best body Canon has ever produced outside the one series.
The opinions of several pros that according to your seminar are all pretty misguided. wink

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/706762

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stetson
Sorry, I forgot to spell out clearly what a good flash will add to the weight of a 5D. I thought someone of your oblivious intelligence would be able to add.

There is no doubt the 5D is a great body, but suggesting the 50D will not suffice for most NEW digital users on a budget stepping up from a point and shoot... is your typical ego.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

There is no doubt the 5D is a great body

You change your story more than often than a politician!
You just got caught trying to pass yourself off as an experienced user and once again the truth comes out. The 5D and many other bodies do not come with an onboard flash because for the most part they are useless. The weight of a given flash like the 580EX etc. will be equal on either body. laugh
As far as being on a budget and claiming the 50D is better than the 40D that must be more of your superior math. Lets think about that shall we? The 40D is $800, 50D $1200. So much for the 50D being better in that department.
The 50D is not the "best" choice for a new user IMO. The higher resolution requires "L" or at least very high quality glass unlike the 40D which can utilize EFS glass and still have very acceptable IQ. Again, there goes your budget. One L lens and the 50D will put you WELL over 2k. The 40D and a fast lens like the 17-50 f2.8 tammy can be had NIB for $1300!
Add the 15MP on the 50D having a much lower tolerance for any thing less than perfect exposures, the need to be rock steady and a number of other issues like PP and it's pretty obvious that the 40D and the 5D are far more user friendly to some one getting started.
But then I've actually owned both of theese. How about you? whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess you missed the part where I spoke to the on-board Nikon flash being significantly superior to the Canon...

I am not a geek intent on keeping up with every new model and have not owned either of the cameras mentioned. I have used them both and have played with the models up to the 50D. If I were intent on arguing with you I would spell out more. You have several times shown what a classless assclown you are and so I am out of here with the final statement that Joel was not out of line...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have not owned either of the cameras mentioned.

It just goes to show even a stain like you can tell the truth if you really try. laugh
You remind me of my old dryer. That thing would get stuck on spin cycle and just go round.......and round......and round. Of course you can't blame a machine for not knowing it's beat.
Your lack of any hands on experience with the cameras being discussed will be obvious to most.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1 Minute, the deal that Joel offered you would be a terrific step up from a point & shoot. It is certainly capable of taking truly remarkable photos, and learning the full capabilities of the D90 is going to take some time.

Stetson, seeing as you don't mind letting us know what we remind you of, I know you won't mind if I let you know, what you remind me of.

When I read your sarcastic, put down posts, I think of a little man with a big mouth, & a chip on his shoulder.

Little knowledge + big mouth + having to prove himself over, & over = idiotic posts.

It's too bad we don't have an ignore list here Campfire, so many of us could simply ignore your superior attitude, and aggressively written drivel.

As for the rest of the folks here, I�ll leave it to them to read thru some of your earlier posts, too see just how genuinely mean spirited you truly are.

Respects,

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well said!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Meatco1

When I read your sarcastic, put down posts, I think of a little man with a big mouth, & a chip on his shoulder.

You were saying something about sarcastic drivel? What exactly have you contributed here? I'd suggest taking a look at your own posts over the few months you've been here, Art.....err I mean Richard.

PS. Open user profile, Click Ignore user.

Case Closed.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the tip Stetson. I will check it out and start with you. You are one of the rudest people I ever ran into on here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Cattle
I have been accused of no less than 25 or 30 aliases here and as I posted before the most painful was being called you... Disabusal of your fantasies is of no concern to me.
just art

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh *** You are ignoring this user *** laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have been accused of no less than 25 or 30 aliases

From numerous and well known members at that, including a campfire sponsor! shocked
Wonder why................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sure at this time the OP is probably sorry he asked.

Call Joel.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does Medicare pick up the tab for your hallucinogens? Just asking...

Note to self, "Buy tin foil futures..."

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK guys, thanks for the input so far. You've talked me into it. It's going to be a Canon EOS 50D at 15 mg pixels. Yes, I'm sure they will have 20 mgs on the shelf in Kmart next year, but we have to get started. This a hobby deal for the wife, and she has absolutely no professional plans. She works hard, lets me have a lot toys and play time, and I should return those favors at least once in a while. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but learning new sh-t is about 75% of the fun in life. That being, a rejection from National Geographic will not be heart rending.

Our next step is getting at least a couple of starter lenses. Thinking of a Canon 24-105 and a 100-400mm. Any pitfalls there we should know about. 500+ mm units will have to wait a year or two.

Thanks in advance, 1Minute

1Minute
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
with a 50D I would strongly recommend against buying non- IS lenses. You will not be pleased with the results. TIFWIW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute

Our next step is getting at least a couple of starter lenses. Thinking of a Canon 24-105 and a 100-400mm. Any pitfalls there we should know about.

The 24-105 f4L IS and the 100-400L IS are a good start IMO as long as you don't intend to use the 24-105 indoors a lot. Onboard flash won't help much with that FL. The 100-400 is a very nice wildlife lens for the $ with a lot of flexability. Not so much for BIF. Works well as a walk around lens at airshows as well. Agree with UL 100%. The extra resolution of the 50D shows even the slightest movement making IS and/or fast high quality glass even more desireable. The 50D is also far less forgiving when you don't nail the exposure. Post processing with my 50D files seem like more of a necessity than an option on many frames.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The EF28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 is a walk-around lens to consider to save a few bucks. It is not an L series (full-frame compatible) lens and you would have to abandon it if you decide on a full frame body later, but many pro photographers consider it a very good lens for the money and the purpose.

I would suggest a tele converter might help in some ways, but stick to the 1.4, not the 2.0. We have both and the 2.0 is essentially worthless.

Plan on a good tripod with an upgrade head, too.

The 50D will make her very happy!
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The EF28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 is a walk-around lens to consider to save a few bucks. It is not an L series (full-frame compatible) lens and you would have to abandon it if you decide on a full frame body later, but many pro photographers consider it a very good lens for the money and the purpose.

I would suggest a tele converter might help in some ways

When you get done weeping in your wheaties about the PM's that were forworded to Rick in the past from JJ about your multiple personalities you may want to remind the OP again you have no experience with the 50D. The 28-135IS 3.5-5.6 is a low end kit lens and the 24-105 F4 IS is an L lens with a fixed aperature. The 28-135 WILL indeed work on the 5D but will be a poor match for the 50D. EF-S lenses like the 17-55 f2.8 IS will not work on a FF body. EF lenses like all the others mentioned in the last few posts (24-105, 28-135 and 100-400) will indeed work on the 5D and 5dMKII.
You may in your vast experience want to explain to the guy which lenses won't AF on the XXD series with the TC you suggested. whistle

Might be a good time to put down the shovel, just a thought.......
Since I doubt you know what either one looks like Art, here's a quick snap of the 28-135 Vs 100-400.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
the 28-135IS is a poor bargain for a 50D.
I have an older version (I hear the IS might be better now) and I'm unhappy with it's results on a 40D.
It in no way compares to an IS fixed aperture lens.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.