Print Thread
Hop To
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Decimated deer population still needs control

Monday, September 22, 2008

REGINA -- While deep snow and extended cold temperatures have decimated white-tailed deer populations in northern Saskatchewan over recent years, provincial Environment Ministry officials want hunters to kill about 500 extra does and fawns in the Saskatoon area this fall, to reduce high numbers of mule deer and white-tails around the city.

"We're putting out as many tags as possible in the area, hoping that anyone who can get permission to hunt will harvest more than one antlerless animal to help us with population control," wildlife manager Shawn Burke said Monday.

Antlerless deer are adult females or young animals born this spring -- the type preferred by venison-lovers, but ignored by trophy-seekers.

The Ministry is selling 500 additional big game management licences for antlerless mule deer and white-tailed deer -- valid only in the Saskatoon region -- through its office on Research Drive. Hunters can buy two licences at a time, for $19.62 each.

To track the program's success, they will be asked to turn in any unused licences, as well as the heads of harvested animals, to the Saskatoon field office by Jan. 1. Adult deer heads will be tested for chronic wasting disease, at no charge.

Saskatchewan is known world-wide among hunters as a good place to bag trophy-sized white-tailed deer. Outfitters charge up to $13,000 per customer for a week of hunting the biggest bucks from lodges and heated blinds scattered around the northern half of the province.

The size of the herd hit a high point in the winter of 2004-2005, followed by a small winter-kill event the following winter and "a very large one last year," Burke said.

By the third week of November, 2007, snow depths in the northeastern part of the province were "already at the point where deer would die over the winter," he explained.

As the cold season progressed, "we had a series of large snowfall events that increased (snow depth) to the point where the deer couldn't move around, so they couldn't travel to get food, and the energy they were expending to get what food they could find was way more than the value of the food they were bringing in," he said.

"It took the deer herd in the north 25 years to get to the point it was at, through a series of mild winters and early springs. So Mother Nature has created the right conditions to take the deer herd back to where it was 25 years ago across the north -- but those conditions didn't exist in the southern part of the province."

Using the Yellowhead highway as a rough dividing line, the south had "some localized rough spots" for deer in recent years -- including places where farmers have cut down pockets of sheltering trees to maximize grain production while prices are high -- "but nothing to really affect them from a population standpoint," Burke said.

"In the urban zones around Saskatoon and Regina you've got a combination of factors. You've got a whole bunch of small acreages, and lots of landscaped trees and shrubs that people like, which creates high-value food sources -- and there's no hunting pressure."

It's typically harder for hunters to get permission from multiple small, adjacent landowners to shoot deer on their properties -- and the animals have figured this out, Burke said.

"Deer aren't stupid. If they're pressured in other areas, they'll move to areas where there's no pressure. So you get deer moving in, they're protected and they can get through the winter because people shovel their driveways and walks and things. So they can move from high-value food source to high-value food source, and your numbers go up."

Meanwhile, surveys conducted in a portion of Wildlife Management Zone 50, north of Prince Albert, showed a staggering 76 per cent drop in deer population density from 2007 to 2008, according to a June, 2008 report by Environment Ministry officials.

"Ministry of Environment wildlife managers have reacted to this widespread population decline by making significant changes to while-tailed deer seasons," the report noted. "Both the Saskatchewan Resident Second Either-sex license and the Saskatchewan Resident Anterless licence have been removed across the forest and forest fringe zones."

Hunting seasons and quotas in the north have not been modified for Saskatchewan residents or tourists from out of province this year, "but future changes may be made dependant on the recovery of deer populations," the report adds.

The annual hunting season for white-tailed and mule deer in Saskatchewan opened Sept. 1 for hunters who use bows and cross-bows. The season opens Oct. 1 for muzzle-loaders, and Nov. 1 for shotguns. It closes for all hunters Dec. 4.

� Canwest News Service 2008

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had planned to hunt this year in zone 50 about 25 miles northeast of Prince Albert. According to the Wildlife website this area has an 80% confirmed winter kill.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
These numbers don't jive with what I am seeing in the North...

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you seen some mature bucks?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the area around our hunt camp in the Porcupine provincial forest in NE Sask,, 80% winterkill seems about right. Hunting elk two weeks ago we saw only about one deer per day. Two years ago we saw more like 20 per day. over all sign is down accordingly. But, we did see a couple of mature bucks in the summer, so they are not all gone, just reduced significantly.
I was down hunting pheasant in the SE and south central areas yesterday, deer populations are still fine and nice bucks are there for resident hunters.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Have you seen some mature bucks?

I spend my time North of Meadow Lake and am in touch with some local crown land outfitters...

I've personally seen quite a few "good" whitetails hunting grouse and moose (archery) this fall, and know of many outfitters that are looking forward to this year's prospects due to their trail-cam pics and road sightings.

The one's I've talked to are all booked-up and think that some good deer will be taken by their clients.

Time will tell...

"After consulting an RCMP forensics expert, the federal tribunal officially published its verdict online this week, decreeing that Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, is definitely not a replica firearm."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Meadowlake area losses were only about 27% if memory serves me right from the. The heavy losses are in zone 50 ( the fringe areas south of Candle area).
I am glad some areas were not hit so hard.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Meadowlake area losses were only about 27% if memory serves me right from the. The heavy losses are in zone 50 ( the fringe areas south of Candle area).
I am glad some areas were not hit so hard.
Thats where I'm hunting and been hunting for the last 3 years, I hope its not as bad as they're saying. I go visit my friends in candle lake and hunt for a week. I heard around the candle lake area that its no bad, its just south on the forest fringe. Useally I dont bait, but this year i think I will be baiting around the candle lake reserve if its that bad on the fringe?
If anyone is from around there can you please give me an update on the deer population for the meathpark are and paddockwood area.
Thanks
Elmer

Last edited by elmerdeer; 10/06/08.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
It sounds like Zone 50 had it bad. Any reports on winter kill in Zone 67 near Chitek lake, farther west? I tried getting on the Sask Environment website to check myself but it won't work. Thanks for any help. Silvers

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Chitek had mucho snow...don't know about any winter kill though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Silvers
I tried getting on the Sask Environment website to check myself but it won't work.

I typed in "Saskatchewan deer WMZ" and went to the link on the environment site called status of white-tailed deer.

They have an article with a map.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
gentlemen.i am heading to the north battleford area for whitetail the second week of november.any info appreciated about winter kill in the area and if anyone is seeing deer in the area.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From Sask Environment website: I don't think you have anything to worry about in the North Battleford area....
"One thousand Big Game Management Licences are now available to hunt antlerless white-tailed deer in Wildlife Management Zone 54, an area south of Spiritwood. Antlerless deer are adult females or young animals born in the spring of 2008.
The 1,000 management licences are in addition to the regular season licences offered by the Ministry of Environment, and reflect high deer populations in Zone 54."

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
thanx cast n blast for the info.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Silvers
I tried getting on the Sask Environment website to check myself but it won't work.

I typed in "Saskatchewan deer WMZ" and went to the link on the environment site called status of white-tailed deer.

They have an article with a map.

Here's the link: http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=23b9bc16-fe62-44e0-bd0a-da9833fdf927

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not to worry, there are plenty of deer around here.

I shot this buck 2 days ago just north of Meadow Lake...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Saskabush, thanks for posting your pics, nice buck.

Slowbob, our outfitter set up month ago to send his trailcan pixs of nice bucks, but so far has only sent 2 of them. The harvest was way off last season, and I'm sure he would be sending more pixs if he had them. Not a good sign. I'll be hunting the same week as you nar Chitek, close to NB. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hey Saskabush , how is the rifle season going up there this year only a week left. I'm thinking of doing a a week in Alberta and a week just due west of you next season?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only real effect I could see is that we couldn't shoot the second whitetail buck in the north like we've become accustomed. We can still shoot 7 deer, mixed whitetails and mulies. I had a good time being driver, gutter and guide for my 12 year old.

[Linked Image]

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.