Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tend to agree with you--but I also talk to an awful lot of shooters in order to understand other people's problems. A lot of older shooters (50+) tend to like Euro-focus because their own eyes don't change focus as readily as when younger, so they can do with with the scope easily if the view needs tweaking.

This may or may not be the reason more scope makes are featuring the Euro-focus. The "baby boom" generation is still the biggest buying market in Ameria, and even the youngest ones are now nearly 50.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SPH300wsm
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No they won't. The FFII is awesome in low light compared to much higher priced scopes. My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

Yeah, they will. I saw firsthand what the FFII's are all about last year in northern Alberta (Nampa/Peace River). That was easily one of the worst scopes I've ever owned, and I couldn't even make out a cutblock 150 yards from my position about an hour before sundown. I've never had that problem with any Leupold I've owned. My 2-7X33 VX-II is heads and shoulders above those things, and it isn't even the best scope in my collection.

That's interesting. I LIVE in Alberta, so it's the same lighting that we're comparing here. I am still able to pick out a milk jug at 655 yards 45 minutes AFTER sunset with the FFII set on 9x. Maybe I just have better eyes than you do.

My experience has been totally congruent with Mule Deer's report above.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The view and adjustments never bothered me with the Burris. I hate that eyepiece/power ring design though, and don't like the euro-focus on the back.

Their customer service sucks, and you need a pipewrench to adjust the power in cold weather.

hmmm. I've never had trouble with the power adjustment, and I use mine in some pretty cold weather.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by SPH300wsm
No they won't. The FFII is awesome in low light compared to much higher priced scopes. My VXII 2-7x32 can't even come close to keeping up with my buddy's FFII 3-9x40.

Yeah, they will. I saw firsthand what the FFII's are all about last year in northern Alberta (Nampa/Peace River). That was easily one of the worst scopes I've ever owned, and I couldn't even make out a cutblock 150 yards from my position about an hour before sundown. I've never had that problem with any Leupold I've owned. My 2-7X33 VX-II is heads and shoulders above those things, and it isn't even the best scope in my collection.

That's interesting. I LIVE in Alberta, so it's the same lighting that we're comparing here. I am still able to pick out a milk jug at 655 yards 45 minutes AFTER sunset with the FFII set on 9x. Maybe I just have better eyes than you do.

My experience has been totally congruent with Mule Deer's report above.

Jordan,

Without calling you a liar, I had every hunting iron I owned with me last winter when I was moving to the lower 48 from Alaska. My four primary hunting optics while I was on my trip were:

Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X44
Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36
Leupold VX-II 2-7X33
Burris FFII 3-9X40

As I said before, the one day I had the Burris in the field I could hardly make out deer in front of the wooded cutblock which was roughly 150 yards from were I was positioned about an hour before sunset.

In the instances of using the others, I was able to make out antler points well after dark. Obviously, the Zeiss and VX-III were heads and shoulders above the rest, but the Burris was pretty well given away after I got to the lower 48. I wasn't going to allow that scope to leave me hanging again.

Last edited by SPH300wsm; 11/29/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't doubt your experience. Maybe you got a lemon? I've heard a lot of different people rant about how bright the FFII's are for the price. Based on my experience, I agree with them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a FFII and have not "shot" it yet. It's on a 30.06. I will not get to take it out until Monday morning. So far it seems very clear campared to my Leupolds, even in low light conditions. At age 66 I'm liking this euro focus thing. This the reason I bought it. It has the ballistic plex reticle and I think I'll like that too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
I recently purchased a used Burris Fullfield II riflescope. Once I received it, I liked it so much that I sold my Leupold and bought another Burris Fullfield II. Now I have these Burris scopes on my 2 main rifles. They were really impressing to make me sale my Leupold for one. I still didn't appreciate their quality and performance untill this week. Monday Opened our Rifle buck season. I have been amazed with this scope in the outdoors. Clarity is unrivaled. Detail can be made out at longer distances than most scopes I have had could see. I have never in my life owned or looked through a scope any better! These are honestly the very best scopes and optics for that matter that I have ever used. I have had Leupolds, Kahles, Nikons and all the more common affordable scopes and this Burris blows them all away. I look forward to going hunting just to look through the Burris scope. As I feel today, I will try to put a Burris on any other firearms I acquire. Thanks Burris. Now I hope their warranty is as good as Leupolds if it is ever needed. Thanks guys. Just wanted to share that for someone who is looking right now.

Bearbuck

If you think the FFII is good, you should try the Signature series.

I've owned a couple Signatures, and regret getting rid of them. I sold one in order to 'upgrade' to a VXIII, and was sorry that I did it. I sold the other one as I bought it new, but decided that I wanted a higher power and that I actually don't care for the Ballistic Plex reticle. I'm not a fan of any of those types of reticles though. I still have an FFII on my muzzleloader, and I'm keeping an eye out for another for another rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I guess this is why some people drive Fords and others Chevy's. I don't have a Burris scope so I can't really comment on their quality. I have Pentax and Sightron and 1 Alpen scope. Work for me (So far..lol)

If you have a Pentax, then you have an idea as they are made by Burris.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In fact, except for cosmetic differences, Pentax scopes are Burrises. The Lightseeker line is the same as the Signatures, and at least at the beginning the FFII's were the same as the Whitetails Unlimited Pentax scopes. Dunno what the Pentax is called today.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know about VXIII's but when I compare my VXII's to either my FFII's or my Nikon Buckmasters, the Leupy comes in last. Last in clarity and the fine focus departments. On the other hand the Leupy's have the best," eye box", by far.

YMMV

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last week I did a heads up comparison between a Burris FFII,a Bushnell 3200, and a Leupold VX I.

The Burris was easily the best for clarity with the VX I and 3200 about even.

The VX I had just a hair better eye relief/eye box than the FFII with the 3200 last.

The FFII's I have used in the field have always performed very well and the zeroes have never bobbled.

I think they are a lot of scope for the money.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 11/30/08.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't doubt your experience. Maybe you got a lemon? I've heard a lot of different people rant about how bright the FFII's are for the price. Based on my experience, I agree with them.

I will say this for Alberta, though. Hunting there changed alot of things for me:

I will NEVER look at the puny deer we have in the south quite the same.

I will NEVER be able to get used to the idea of hunting deer when it is 50 degrees outside, let alone when it is 75-80 like it was here the first week of this month.

I will ALWAYS love hunting when the mercury is at least below freezing and snow is falling steadily.

All that is exactly why I am planning another hunt up there. Lord willing, I shall make it back. That is one BEAUTIFUL province, north to south and east to west.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if you do make it back to Alberta, and need somebody to share a campfire with, let me know smile

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
FYI, the current Pentax "Pioneer" line is the Burris FFII.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just back from "shooting" my new FFII. As I said in my previous post, it's on a 30.06 of known accuracy. I can see no difference in accuracy. I got several sub one inch 3 shot groups and the only 5 group tried was .7". It seemed as clear as the leupold 3x9 VXII I had with me. At this point only time will tell if it's rugged enough to be a keeper. So far, I'm liking this scope.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
When predator hunting, I am constantly changing my power, depending on the cover.

That being said, I still see no advantage to a euro focus. Once the reticle is focused, why is there a need to mess with it? I like that you lock it down with Loopy, Sightron, and Weaver, and forget about it.

Unless you're using Leupy's VX 7, then you'll be "messing" with the euro style focus anyway. The FF II"s that I have are very good, comparing very favorably in low light, clarity, etc with the VX II. Euro focus has never been an issue with me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baerbuck, you've hit on a scope that to me is incredibly good.

I just love the Burris FF2 in the 3-9 with the BP in it.

I have hunted them incredibly hard and worked them over really good. 4 me and for my eyes I just don't feel that they can be beat.

They're tough, the clicks are repeatable (which isn't I can say for a good share of the Leupolds especially the ones with turrets on them), they are incredibly clear and super in low light conditions.

And, their eye relief is very forgiving. My test for this is to give the rifle to my wife and have her work with it. She shoots very good and is very careful about her shots. She doesn't like to have to move her head around much at all to "find her spot". And I've noticed over the years that the 3-9 Burris is one scope where she can pretty much always find her spot quickly.

Bottom line, I feel it's a heck of a scope and just can't figure why they sell them for so little.

Oh and the BP system is so stupid simple even a caveman like me can figure it out!
wink
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The biggest bummer on the Burris is that eyepiece power adjust. You cannot put a flip-up scope cover on them, or it will get in the way of the bolt.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was wondering when Dober would find this thread!

Personally I am not fond of the flip-up scope covers, preferring the Uncle Mike's type (including the old standby innertube) that can be flipped away entirely with one finger. But that's just me.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I bought a Burris with the ballistic plex reticle because it came with a free GPS; I had a buddy who kept getting lost.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.