Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stetson
Amazing, you have heard of PMs and you think that means something. I was literally, not figuratively, not kidding, called you as one of those "personalities". There were lots more, though none quite so distasteful.

My open interchanges with anyone are still a matter of record for anyone to search. A PM means what?

I believe you are mistaken in your attituide toward the lens mentioned and I have it from a number of folks that know quite a bit about the particular lens. I happen to have both lenses you pictured and find both useful for their intended purposes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Stetson
Amazing, you have heard of PMs and you think that means something.

You really are a piece of work. I guess you forgot telling me on the phone that you posted under multiple names here because you couldn't "really" post what you wanted as a moderator. You also seem to have forgotton that You and Rick both received a copy of said PM directly from me. Try telling the truth for once Art. The bone you have to pick doesn't have squat to do with the differences in a camera or Jerky or any one of the side bar caniptions you have had since. No matter how wrong you are you still rail away. As I said before MANY well known and well respected members here know your tricks. Feel free to rail on. Your "experience" becomes more evident with every post.
Still a moderator?.............
Just askin.

There were lots more

Pretty much proves my point.

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys: Thanks to Stetson and some suggestions from a few others, I just made an order. It's a Canon EOS 50D, coupled with Canon 28-135 and 100-400 mm lenses. Also picked up some extra memory and battery power. I think the wife will be happy, and hope she'll loan it out to me once in a while.

Thanks also to advice from members here, I was steered clear of some of the lowball web sellers. Seems their practice is to offer a very low bait price, but they've removed needed components (memory, batteries, chargers, cables, software, etc) from the factory box and upon contact, offer them up at inflated value. If one resists, they find they are suddenly out of stock for your order. That said, ALWAYS surf up some outside reviews on unknown sellers. I think I avoided about 3 pitfalls this morning by following that advice.

Thanks again, 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope we get to see some photos from your neck of the woods! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WOW!!!
"You really are a piece of work. I guess you forgot telling me on the phone that you posted under multiple names here because you couldn't "really" post what you wanted as a moderator. You also seem to have forgotton that You and Rick both received a copy of said PM directly from me. Try telling the truth for once Art.'

Show any multiple postings, any! There are none and never have been. If I told you I posted as more than one individual it was purely in jest or in sarcasm. I do not remember saying that and it is not true, period.

Further, I never received any such PM from you, period.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1minute
I think you will like your decisions... I called a couple photgrapher friends and asked about the 28-135 and what they thought of it today, compared to when they suggested it when we bought ours several years ago. They both restated they are convinced it is a very good lens for the job and especially for the money.

We have the 17-40, 70-200 and 100-400 in the L series and like all of them. The non-Canon lenses have been problematic... It seems Canon does stuff to make it difficult for other manufacturers to compete...

There is no free lunch and the web sellers include some real dirtbags...
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I told you I posted as more than one individual it was purely in jest

LOL yeeaaaaaaaaaah. CYA Art.
Still a moderator? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And we were like really tight and you would be the first (and only) person I would tell! Yeaaaaaaaahhhh....

Delusional!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't the only person you spouted off to now was I? Talk to JJ lately? whistle The fact that you seem so proud about your "25-30 aliases" speaks volumes. I don't exactly see the other parties involved jumping in here to save your A++.
Still waiting to hear your expertise on the TC compatability and whether or not your still a moderator. I'm guessing not or my posts probably would have already been altered. laugh
Hopefully the "pros" telling you about the 28-135 are not the same ones that gave you that great intel about lens compatability with FF....or the size of the 5D....or the weight of the 5D...or.....
I can't imagine what you have against the OP to give him such consistantly false and poor advice. I trust you at least told him the lens hood doesn't come with the 28-135. After all if you have one you surely know that and whether or not the TC will AF with it.

Last edited by Stetson; 12/02/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, I'm NOT an experienced photographer but I just went through about the exact same decision process that the original poster went through. FWIW I have a few observations here but keep in mind they are from someone just getting started.
Despite the advice from a couple people not to I went ahead and got the Canon 50d over a 40d and 5d. The 40d is a better deal and a couple hundred less expensive but I saw a couple of features with the 50d that I thought would be worth a couple hundred extra. The rear screen has much higher resolution and is better for checking your shots than the older screens were. The kids I was photographing would pose and then run over to see thier picture - having the better screen was cool.
It's probably stupid but I wanted a camera that had the same or better number of megapixels than my point and shoots. I have a G9 that does 12.7 so it seemed a step back going with a 10.1mp 40d.
I like the way you can fine focus the 50d using your computer.
I wanted the same processor in case I decide later to upgrade to a 5d MKII.
The 5d didn't have a self cleaning sensor, the 50d does.
I'm sure that the 5d would probably take better pictures but I was just a little leery of a used camera - the person I talked to in the store was.

The pop-up flash on the 50d is pretty much as has been mentioned here: mostly useless with the L lenses. They are big enough that they cast a shadow under the flash. My next purchase will probably be a better flash.

I tried a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens and didn't get that great of pictures out of it. The faster speed was good but the 50d wanted to shoot either too high an ISO or too low a shutter speed. You kinda have to watch both.

So far the best shots I got were with the 24-105L f/4, but they were outside shots. I still have more experimenting to do with the f/2.8 speed lens. If you were going to start out with one lens I'd go with the 24-105l f/4 IS to start with.

-- just some camera thoughts just in case they might help.

A couple comments about Sitka Deer and Stetson. Even though I've had a couple "extended disagreements" with Sitka Deer about LOP and whatever he has still been extremely helpful about wood finishes, adjusting triggers etc.. Even though we don't always agree I've probably learned more from Sitka than anyone else here on the forum.
Stetson has been VERY helpful to me about the camera's even though I bought the body he recommended against. On the forum and with PM's he's gone out of his way to help me out.

In short I know that both Sitka and Stetson are good helpful posters here, I hope that even though they disagree they can work it out. Both have with me............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.