Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Everyone "knows" that a Winchester Mod 92 is the strongest lever action of the three most common -- Win 92, Win 94, and Marlin 336.
Is that correct or just another "gun myth"? As originally designed I suspect the Mod 92 is the weakest.

Let the flames begin!

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...The Winchester 92 is a scaled down version of the Winchester 1886, certainly the strongest lever gun made until the modern Winchester 88 and perhaps the Browning BLR.(the old Savage 99 is no slouch either!). Of the guns you've mentioned, the model 92 would be , and has proven itself through testing, the strongest action design. In fact the model 92 as being reproduced today by Rossi can be chambered for the 454 Casull cartridge which would ruin either the model 94 or the Marlin designs. The Casull operates at a pressure level well above the recommended maximums for either the 94 or Marlin 336...

Last edited by olhippie; 12/05/08.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have no problem with your classification. Personally I tend to put all three in the same strength catagory excluding the older square bolt Marlins which I think may be the weakest of the lot. There are reasons that the factorys chamber these actions for milder pressure cartridges (besides liability). Always thought the weak point in the 92 was where the barrel and reciever are joined together. I remember hearing about 92's that had been rebarreled to 44 mag. blowing the chamber and reciever ring due to the thinness of the barrel and reciever in that area.By todays standards the 44 is not a real high pressure cartridge. But I also suspect some of those blow up's may have been because some one leaned on the throttle to hard thinking the rifle was stronger than pistols chambered for the same round.To my mind there are to many varibles such as design, steel used,and so forth to think that one is much stronger than the others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1895 Winchester and 1895 Marlin before the BLR came along.

Of the three first mentioned in the OP, I'd say the 336.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
1895 Winchester and 1895 Marlin before the BLR came along.

Of the three first mentioned in the OP, I'd say the 336.

I agree completely!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easily the BLR in terms of pure C.U.P or P.S.I. strength, though not very traditional looking or acting. As to the traditional lever guns, I would say the model 71's are pretty tough too. That the 99's will digest .308 and 358 Win speaks very highly of them as those are some high pressure loadings. The one (99) I have in .308 is a keeper but my model 71 will likely be hunted with more.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I have the Rossi '92 in 454 Casull as well and yep, it is a toughie and a GREAT gun... Once we remove the stupid looking safety on the top of the receiver. This one gets out quite a bit too.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
olhippie gave the correct answer here.

The 86, 92, and 71 all have vertical lock-up (= strong). The 94 is angled and the Marlin design is the weakest of the three and is almost comical, really, if anything high pressure is to be considered (of course .30-30, .45-70 work fine in 'em).

Scott

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by safariman
Oh, I have the Rossi '92 in 454 Casull as well and yep, it is a toughie and a GREAT gun... Once we remove the stupid looking safety on the top of the receiver. This one gets out quite a bit too.

The Rossi '92 in 454 would be a great gun! I wish Marlin had something that could chamber the .454 but the 336 action is too long and the 1894 action is probably not strong enough.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...As to the Winchester model 71, it is really a re-issue of the older 1886 , a different caliber, and minor changes, but the same strong design really. It is true that several more modern lever guns are stronger than the older designs we're talking about. The Winchester 88 with it,s rotating bolt lock up, and the Browning BLR with a rotating bolt lock up would both likely be stronger designs than the !886,1892, or Winchester 71.....I do agree that the Marlin design is likely a tic or so less strong than the Winchester 94, but it is close, and the Marlin, in modern steel, does well with cartridges at 50,000 pressure levels ( I.E. 308 Marlin). The Winchester 94 handles the 356 Winchester and the 375 Winchester, both of which work that same pressure level. The 94 wouldn't take kindly, in my opinion, to the 454 Casull, nor would the Marlin lock up design. The old Savage 99 is also a very strong design that handles just over the 50,000 psi level, and is stronger than either the 94 or Marlin 336, and even edges the 1886 design would be my guess, but a front locking bolt design thumps them all.

Last edited by olhippie; 12/06/08.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There were prototype 99's made in 30-06 and 270, and the biggest change necessary was a change in receiver length as far as I know. 308, 284, 7mm08, 358, 375, handled them very easily.

Seen a couple barrels on 99's split, but never heard of a receiver or bolt made after 1909 dying or coming apart.

Wish somebody had known the story behind this one. Receiver is fine from the looks of it though. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
The Model 88 is essentially a bolt action operated by a lever - gets my vote. I suppose I would reluctantly have to go along with the BLR, too, but it galls me to say it, as the 88 was produced at a time when guns were all-metal and crafted with care, and the BLR contains plastic parts and is made in Japan on an assembly line.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

".....but a front locking bolt design thumps them all."

It does? Most people consider the Remington 788 to be one of the strongest actions ever.

The Marlin 336 bolt lock up is a lot heavier and thicker than the '92 or '94. Is it made of inferior steel?

Why couldn't the 94 and 336 handle the 454 Casull? It operates at the same pressure as cartridges chambered in these guns, 375 and 356. Should not be a problem except that they will not feed thru the action.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Quote:
Just remember that pressure is always and only relative to the resistance of the system in place to contain it... If the pressure does not exceed strength of the containment apparatus, all is well. The Freedom Arms .454 revolver has a built-in 100%+ safety factor - that is, it will contain pressures in excess of 100% overload. That said - DON'T try to find out how much or how high that is... We did succeed in breaking a .454 at F.A., but only after much tedious loading and firing of ammunition no one could conceivably load by accident or mistake. The gun never did "blow up," it just finally "broke..."

In my own .454 levergun tests, back in the late '80s, we did manage to ruin a few Winchester '94s, and one Marlin 336. The Marlin failed after the fewest rounds of factory-equivalent ammo, digesting only a handful of rounds (somewhere short of 20, if memory serves...) before the action would no longer lock up safely or securely.

Next to fall was a brand-new Winchester '94 Big-Bore AE, which stretched and flowed like taffy, as the bolt tried to climb up the locking lug and out of the top of the receiver, peening the lug recesses in the receiver terribly, and noticeably stretching the right side wall of the receiver. In their infinite wisdom, Winchester (USRAC) beefed up the receiver in the wrong place, while cutting ALL the strength out of the right receiver wall, to allow for their ill-conceived "angle ejection" modification. The '94 that performed best in my testing was a well-used carbine, made in the 1920s. It was still tight and crisp when we screwed the .454 barrel into it, but even it became dangerous and unserviceable in fewer than 50 rounds.

The whole point of the testing was to prove to various and sundry doubters that the 1894 Winchester was NOT a suitable platform for the powerful .454 Casull round - and WHY. The guns used (and used up...) in the tests were donated to the cause by those very Doubting Thomases...! It doesn't get much better than that.

BTW, the same Sharon barrel was used in all the tests, and it emerged unscathed. It was finally rethreaded and rechambered to .45 Colt and installed in a Browning '92, where it still resides -- a 24", octagon beauty.

The 1894 and 1895 Winchesters are NOT particularly strong actions, having llooooooonnnnngg receiver walls and angled, rear locking bolts. In short, physics and geometry are against them from the outset. As mentioned above, the '94 AE suffers the further indignity of having the only strengthening metal available to it REMOVED to make way for the abominable ejection system.

The '86/M-71 and '92 Winchesters are by far the strongest of the "traditional" lever actions, with the nod going to the '86/71, with its square-to-bore vertical lockup, which situates the lugs about 2/3 the distance back from the breech-face as compared to a '94 or '95. The '86's receiver walls are robust and not chopped up or hollowed out as are those on the '94, in particular.

The new Browning/Winchester 1886 and Model 71 are virtually identical offerings, made of good, through-hardened steel, and will serve as the basis for some VERY powerful loading.

Be careful, and don't try this at home...

Regards,

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?t=2798

Jayco

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE
.Why couldn't the 94 and 336 handle the 454 Casull? It operates at the same pressure as cartridges chambered in these guns, 375 and 356.

That's true, but there's a structural/design (bolt thrust?) reason why the Marlin 375 was not made for very long. One of the Marlin execs admitted as much on Tom Gresham's "GunTalk" radio show awhile back. Basically, they were shortsighted in not beefing up the 336 action for use with the .375 Win. as WRAC did with the 94.

All the best,
Scott

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
After reading the link that logcutter provided, it's incredibly obvious that when you modify or handload a rifle to do what it was never meant to do you are courting disaster. Which is EXACTLY why I would never convert any 336 that I own to another caliber and why I don't push handloads over the factory level.

Every increase in pressure is bringing you closer to the failure point of any design and even if it doesn't fail immediately it IS wearing out MUCH more rapidly.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
Every increase in pressure is bringing you closer to the failure point of any design and even if it doesn't fail immediately it IS wearing out MUCH more rapidly.

You're exactly right, and that's what a lot of folks seem to forget. It is a cumulative process, and just because it doesn't pop on you doesn't mean it won't down the line sometime to your child or grandchild or the poor sap who was unlucky enough to buy the gun from you.

Scott

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
and the BLR contains plastic parts and is made in Japan on an assembly line

Interesting, my BLR is marked "Made in Belgium" and has no plastic parts...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The .454 Casull SAAMI is 65,000 PSI..None of the other traditional leverguns even comes close to that other than those mentioned in my link.The '92 handles it just fine as would the '86/M-71..If you read the link and the other ones about it,you will see,there is a huge difference in 50,000 and 65,000 on stress on the action.

The Modern Marlin 45-70 is rated at 40,000 CUP/42,740 PSI the same as the .450 Marlin..That is plenty,if you want more get a .458 Win Mag. grin

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
After reading the link that logcutter provided, it's incredibly obvious that when you modify or handload a rifle to do what it was never meant to do you are courting disaster. Which is EXACTLY why I would never convert any 336 that I own to another caliber and why I don't push handloads over the factory level.

Well said and I could not agree more. But it sure is fun to get a good discussion started. Most of you are correct but several for the wrong reason.

Originally Posted by RSY
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE
.Why couldn't the 94 and 336 handle the 454 Casull? It operates at the same pressure as cartridges chambered in these guns, 375 and 356.

That's true, but there's a structural/design (bolt thrust?) reason why the Marlin 375 was not made for very long. One of the Marlin execs admitted as much on Tom Gresham's "GunTalk" radio show awhile back. Basically, they were shortsighted in not beefing up the 336 action for use with the .375 Win. as WRAC did with the 94.

All the best,
Scott

"Beef up the 336 as WRAC did with the 94" But it was the first one to fail.

Happy Holidays

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.