Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, you get what you pay for, I guess.

BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
and I nearly bought one....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a really good thing that the stocks and such are such an abomination in looks and function that they will sell VERY few of these chunks of crap. Again, and has been stated by more than one here, WHY would one consider such a piece when there are so many really good and proven (and decent looking) rifles out there?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yukoner
Has anyone sent a copy of this photo to Mossberg for an explanation. It seems like they should issue a recall to fix this. Yeah I almost bought one for one of my sons but found a used Ruger.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Yukoner
I almost bought one for one of my sons but found a used Ruger.

ED, Ya done good there. And I see that you have a 25 Roy speedmaster.... you seem to have developed a fine taste for good rifles!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Was in the local emporium today and saw something quite unique.

Here's the bolt out of an ATR in 308 that has fired less than a box of factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bolt body is not threaded into the bolt head. It is pressed in.

Worse, the bolt body is splined, but the head is smooth! eek

[Linked Image]

The customer is upset, but the dealer here is really choked, as he has sold a few, and now is concerned about his customers having this happen in the field.

Anyone else seen this?

Ted

Any wonder why those bolts will fly back into the shooter's skull?

Um, no thanks, though I can think of a few folks I'd wish that would use such..............

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would guess the bolt handle is intended to be silver soldered in place just like that of the Winchester M70 which features a similar joint. It looks like somebody omitted the silver solder and the joint was tight enough it got through QC. Not a particularly good system but it would be strong enough if the silver solder was there.
With this design, the potential does exist for the rifle to fire with the locking lugs not engaged should this joint fail when closing the bolt. That is, unless there is a backup system to prevent this. I have not looked closely at one of these rifles so can't say for sure. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to own,and used a raptor for a few years to take a few bucks with.It had so many "bad" features I sold it at a huge loss and have been happy ever since.Picked up a charles daly 98 mauser to replace it.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
I would guess the bolt handle is intended to be silver soldered in place just like that of the Winchester M70 which features a similar joint. It looks like somebody omitted the silver solder and the joint was tight enough it got through QC. Not a particularly good system but it would be strong enough if the silver solder was there.
With this design, the potential does exist for the rifle to fire with the locking lugs not engaged should this joint fail when closing the bolt. That is, unless there is a backup system to prevent this. I have not looked closely at one of these rifles so can't say for sure. GD

Kept comming back to this post. You say the model 70 Winchester is done the same way? Trying to figure if this is a manufacturing fault or a design flaw.. seems like there should be splines in both parts to mate and lock. I don't like it and hope Winchester doesn't do the same thing.
Thanks,
Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scary this could happen to a Mossberg but even more scary that others use the same design.
g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
according to greg rodriguez, mossy sold 30k of those rifles last year.

-Matt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a bolt recall in order. If I owned one I would be asking questions.
g

Thomas Jefferson

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Sounds good Ted.308 Win the new one?

No, got the new Marlin XL7 in 30-06, just to see what all the fuss is about. grin

It impressed me enough to order one in 270. Supposed to be here this week.

Ted

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
Maybe a bolt recall in order. If I owned one I would be asking questions.
g

The dealer is doing exactly that. Apparently they want to see the rifle........

No kidding, eh?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah i bet they do. see that it doesn't let the news out.

-Matt

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like every thing else in life, you DO get what you pay for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
see that it doesn't let the news out.

-Matt

If you are reading this, the news is already out. Can't hide from 24hour!!

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Winchester is similarly done but with a difference. On the Mossberg, the cocking cam is part of the handle/base. On the Winchester. the cocking cam is cut through the bolt handle base and the bolt body. Practically speaking, this means two things. First; the joint on the winchester is in the middle of the cocking cam while the Mossberg cam is wholly in the bolt handle base (advantage; Mossberg). Second; because the cam is cut into both pieces, should the joint fail while closing the bolt, the Winchester cannot fire with an unlocked bolt (advantage; Winchester.
The browning A-Bolt design isn't too different from the Mossberg except that the handle is pinned in place rather than being silver soldered (or not, in this case!).
There is no dounbt in my mind that the BEST bolt handle attachment on commonly available factory rifles belongs to the Ruger 77. The one piece bolt is just plain better. When I make a bolt, I make the cocking cam and the extraction cam integral with the bolt and weld on the handle.
As I mentioned before, if the silver solder joint is properly done, the Mossberg system would be sufficiently strong that failure would be virtually impossible. If the silver soldering step is improperly done or omitted altogether, things are not so good! GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm not mistaken only the post-64 Model 70 is like the Mossberg ATR. THe Ruger is a good design, but it's still a Ruger. I prefer an accurate rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.