Print Thread
Hop To
A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I am thinking about a rifle build and am looking for ideas. I will do the wood work myself with an unfinished blank. I was looking at the Montana Rifleman website and was wondering what if any experience any of you have had with them?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Get a Winchester 70 instead. The cost of the MR actions has gotten high enough that they are no bargain. They are heavier/bulkier than need be. And I don't think they would help you on the resale end.
But don't get me wrong--they can be worked into a fine finished product. But a M70 can be built into one that I prefer.

Just no advantages that I see.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got 1 and I wouldn't do it again.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one and love it, but then I didn't have to many choices for a short action Left Hand action. As a right hander you may have better options. Look for a good used older model 700's.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have two Montana 1999 both Left Hand . One is barrel with a Montana Barrel and chambered to 264 Win Mag and the other is barreled by Pac-Nor in 243 Win with their Match Barrel. Both rifle are 1/2 to 3/4 inch rifles. The 264 Win Mag i stocked in a HS Precision stock made for a Model 70 LH and the 243 i stocked in a McMillan's Edge. I love both of these rifle and i like the Montana Action and have never had a problem dealing with this company. I have nothing bad to say about these actions. Top rifle 264 WM , bottom rifle 243 Win
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You're going to get mixed reviews on the MRC actions.

I have a magnum action here, unbarrelled and in the white. Every now and then I'll take it out and play with it. I just can't find any of the things that guys complain about. Some day, I'll build it.

I also have had about five more of their actions in various flavors that I eventually sold. I returned one to MRC and swapped it for a different version (stainless for CM) with not a bit of trouble from them. Not a thing wrong with any of them, just changes of plans (I've been known to sell a M700 action or rifle as well, so it's not that I "unloaded" the MRC actions).

A buddy bought a barrelled action in 30-06. Loves it and it shoots great.

These are my only hands-on experience, but every bit of it has been good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 and love 'em. Only thing I dont like is the price and the wait time on the second one was looooong!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how long does it take to get them nowadays??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Coolbore is right when he said you'd yet mixed reviews on the Montana 1999. I have one. It'll be the last one. Also, I understand that they have gotten better but have become more expesive. So, maybe you'd be ahead to by a used M700 or used Mod.70.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a barreled action in 300 WSM. I finally replaced the barrel and had the action squared and the trigger worked over. It is great now. I will never have another as I feel that they cheated me. (Cheat me once, shame on you, Cheat me twice, shame om me)

If you want to go with their action do so but do not get the barrel installed by them. Have your smith true it and install a quality barrel.

8mmwapiti

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally ordered the second one from Iraq, Sep 06, was supposed to be done when I got home. I was only home for 4 months before I left for another year overseas. The last time they told me it wasnt ready, they told me it would be May, and I was leaving in Mar. Ordered it again from Honduras, Sep 07, was supposed to be done in May 08, didnt get it until July. The thing is so friggin accurate though, I really dont care that it took a little longer.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two actions, both stainless, one barreled (other barrelmakers) and chambered to 270 Winchester, one 375 H&H. The 270 developed a problem with misfires after about 120 rounds. It was to have been a backup rifle on this year's deer trip, but it's staying home until there's time to address the problem. Otherwise, no real complaints.

Even without the misfires, I'd go for a used Winchester Classic M70 as the basis for a wood stocked custom rifle. Do a search on this site and you'll see a pattern of comments on QC and late deliveries on the M1999's. With the used Winchester, you know pretty much what you are getting right away.

Last, I'd stay away from any Montana barrel. As I understand it, the barrel company ("Montana Rifleman Inc.") is, or at least has been, under separate ownership from the action company. I ordered a Montana barrel in 270 caliber, and they sent one so labeled, but it turned out to be 7mm. No damage except to my wallet, but there are a lot of barrel makers out there, and I woun't go back to Montana.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I had a 458 Lott barrelled action I bought from someone else spruced up into a DGR by Roger Ferrell. IT works very well. But I don't know the relative prices of the MRC products compared to others and I'm also a lefty with limited options.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Coldbore,
If you will take notice you will see that the gas jet is below wood line if properly stocked, that could blow out a chunk of nice custom wood unless one cuts a U shape in the stock to allow the gas to escape...That tells me someone didn't know what they were doing to start with...

I had one and I sold it as it had some issues, but to each his own on such things, that what makes a horserace.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.