Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Preheat your oven to 450*
Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

Does anybody else cook their steaks this way? I may never use my grill again.

GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Oven heat for a great cut of steak seems so wrong to me,Mick!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But if you close the lid on your grill you are essentially making it into an oven.

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now you've got me wanting steak for dinner tonight! I wonder if I could get Barak to take me out....???? confused

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good tasting oven cooked steak?

Whodathunkit!(not me, I am a grill man myself)

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
But, with direct flame instead of dry heat!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Now you've got me wanting steak for dinner tonight! I wonder if I could get Barak to take me out....???? confused

Penny

If he won't...I will!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MColeman
I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Preheat your oven to 450*
Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

Does anybody else cook their steaks this way? I may never use my grill again.

I do the same with a slight variation. I use olive oil in the pan, saute a few crushed garlic cloves in the oil, remove the cloves before they burn. Do as you describe the rest of the way.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent lots of time in front of a grill in a large chain and we never did them like that. Always on the grill... We were just good at it after cutting and cooking up hundreds of slabs of beef and fish every night.

If we ever did need to finish something off we used the salamanders - basically broilers. Ovens were never used on the line during open hours.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Oven heat for a great cut of steak seems so wrong to me,Mick!

Did to me, too, Bob, but I promise you that it's a great way to cook a steak. When you go to most steakhouses that's the way they cook them.

Try it and if you don't like it I'll pay for the steak. How's that for a deal? You have the word of an soon to be ex-insurance agent on it. That's 3 clicks above the word of a barrister, you know. wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mickey, that's the way we used to do our steaks when I had my restaurant and I still do them that way.

If a steak is done properly on a grill it is really good. I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's. Gotta couple of brothers who think they are grill masters that haven't the foggiest idea of how to grill a good steak.

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Penny

Get a couple of steaks and cook them using this method. There are many benefits:

1. You don't have to fight traffic
2. You don't have to eat a meal listening to other people talk on their cell phones or,
3. Listen to their loud bratty children
4. You save money and
5. You don't have to put up with dawdling service (re: Lonesome Dove) from some young idiot that calls y'all 'guys' and best of all,
6. You can eat in your skivvies if you're so minded (unless Mr. O'Reilly goes to restaurants in his skivvies then this is no advantage of your old way of doing things.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand

I'm sure you know this, but I'll mention it for others. The way to avoid over charred yet under done is to avoid cooking cold steaks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sassy
Mickey, that's the way we used to do our steaks when I had my restaurant and I still do them that way.

If a steak is done properly on a grill it is really good. I've had too many over charred under done steaks from a grill not by my hand either or GH's. Gotta couple of brothers who think they are grill masters that haven't the foggiest idea of how to grill a good steak.

Then you know I don't speak with a forked tongue. Steaks done this way heap big good!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
That's 3 clicks above the word of a barrister, you know

More like 5 but I'll give it a go. I hate having to set over our back yard grill when the weather is horrible in Jan/Feb.

I like 3sixbits thoughts,as well! I'll try it,Mick!

William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is the classic method for doing a steak with a cast iron skillet - heat the skillet thoroughly in a 500-degree oven, put it over a hot flame, sear - brand - the steak on each side, then put it back in the oven for 5 minutes for medium rare. Remove it from the skillet and let it stand under foil for ten minutes. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of steak,
I had one of the better steaks in quite some time yesterday at The Olive Garden, of all places!

It was the Steak Gorgenzola(sp?) Alfredo.

It was really good!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mickey,

When the wind is howling and it's too cold to grill this is what I do.

Rib-eye Steak 1 1/2" Thick (room temperature)
Canola Oil To Coat
Salt and Pepper (or your favorite steak seasoning)

Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generously with salt and pepper.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns. For anything past medium just go to Burger King as the steak will be ruined.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, rest for 2-3 minutes and enjoy. I still can't get over how juicey and flavorful they are.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonzola is awesome! Absolutely loved it when I had it there. First time I ever had Gorgonzola on anything I am now addicted to those green and blue cheeses.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All this steak talk and I'm fixing leftovers for dinner tonite. I call it the GH surprise dinner.

Sassy

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.