-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between the Echols and the Bridges stocks, I bet the Bridges gives less muzzle flip. To bad they won't sell a inletted M-70 stock. 850.00 is a little to steep for my blood. For a guy that wants to keep the muzzle flip to a minimum these two stocks would be the clear winners.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is thatr because the combs are straighter?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes Sir, and more in line with the bore. Nice looking stock for a rifle that is going to give you a lot of recoil. I put in and order for the next batch of Legends from Echols. I'm glad I didn't see the Bridges first or I would have broke the bank for that stock. 850.00 is to rich for my blood.

I'm glad that the original post picture were made. They should answer a lot of question for folks.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For a 270, I like the compact.If I were gonna do a 300 mag or 375,etc, I like the Echols.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Utah -

That is a great thing that you have done - posting all those pics that is.

I am getting ready to order a swirly mcmillan and was hoping that you might be able to share a closer-up pic of you compact as well as the relative color ratios. I remember seeing it on another thread (couldn"t find it) and thought it was quite sharp. I am considering something very close to what you have, or the infamous "Coyote Bomber" pattern.

FWIW - this will be a Supergrade pattern going on an un-altered pre-64 Model 70 std weight bbl'd action in 30-06.

Thanks again,

Bob

IC B2

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Here are a couple of pics for you. It is the coyote bomber mix.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like I say, choice of stocks is hugely personal, but I do not care for the forend of the Supergrade. It is a tad bulky (but I have small hands). I come out on their stocks much like BobinNH--compact for lighter guns/smaller barrels, and Echols Legend for 300 Mag and above.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Utah!!!

That is great!

Regarding th swirl combo - that looks like an Olive base with Med Tan and Black mixed in. Is that correct? My understanding from the threads on the Coyote Bomber stocks was that it was 50% Dark Grey, 25% Med Tan, and 25% Black. It looks good either way..tough choice.

Regarding stock pattern, I wholly agree with you on teh Legend, fits me to a tee and works better on larger bbld guns, dare I say "full-sized". I also know what you mean about the squarish forend of the Supergrade. I have larger sized hands, size 8 to 8.5, so I can deal with it okay. That said, I do wish it were rounder, but alas.....

Never handled the compact, but it looks to me like a 24 inch std weight p-64 bbl is going to look a little outsized riding in that forend, would you agree?

I have a $100 coupon burning a hole in my pocket and have to place an order before the Jan 1 10% increase.

Thanks!

Bob

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
The tag off that stock reads 50%olive, 25% black, 25% tan. It was done in 2005, so if they have changed their colors since then, asking for the same ratio might get different results.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BB has the CB mix down. McMillan offers 3 different shades of tan and I've always specified med tan whether going with a grey or olive base.

Great thread Utah, you have some very nice rigs.

Has anyone done the Compact pattern on a S/A Win 70?

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
I come out on their stocks much like BobinNH--compact for lighter guns/smaller barrels, and Echols Legend for 300 Mag and above.

For what little my opinion is worth, that's exactly where I land as well.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really excellent, utah708!

The template really adds to the usefulness! I can (for the first time, for many rifles) accurately judge the comb height and slope. Before this, I had to just see how they felt -- now, I can see why some left my eye looking just under the bolt.

This pictures are excellent (and for much more than for M70's too!). I hope others will add to this and use your excellent template!

John

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
thanks for posting that utah!

S
S
Seems like the only difference between the Echols legend and the Supergrade is that the former got the pistolgrip swept somewhat more backwards..? True?

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Schlum--

There are a lot of differences between the Legend and the Supergrade that my limited photography skills cannot convey. First, there is much more detail and crisp lines on the Legend that makes it a more visually interesting stock. Second, the Legend has cast and toe out, which makes it fit better and line up with my eye more readily. Third, the shape of the forend is significantly different. The Legend is quite oval, while the Supergrade is more triangular (wider at the bottom with more distinct corners.)

There are people who would prefer one over the other. I would not presume to tell someone what stock to like. But I spoke with Mark Penrod about a project, and his preference for a stock for a bigger gun is a Legend. If that is not an option, then the Supergrade. That is an opinion that carries a lot of weight with me. Since you are a new poster, in the interest of full disclosure I will tell you that I live in the same town as D'Arcy and consider him a friend. Whether that creates a bias in my views of his stocks is for other people to judge.

My purpose with this thread is not to pimp any one stock. But a lot of people (like John in Sweden) might need to purchase a McMillan without ever handling it. Wait at least 6 months, and then it arrives. Maybe it was what you were dreaming about and hoping for, maybe not. So if the comparisons in this photo essay help people out--particularly now when there is a lot of ordering activity going on because of Rick's sale--then I'm satisfied.

S
S
Thank you Utah708, that was a very through reply!

And yes, as I live in Norway, a photo essay like this is very usefull for us who really dont know how the stock looks like before it arrives in the mail some 6 months after ordering...:)

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
to add to Utah's post, here is a Borden Rimrock, a Brown Precision, and a Sako Classic, all inletted for a pre-64 M70

edit: I'm apparently lousy at directions, I made the forend ref line 17-3/4" from the center vertical line, rather than the left line

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by free_miner; 12/20/08.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Utah708 requested a Kimber on the template:

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I never knew that the Brown Precision has negative drop.

battue--that looks pretty similar to the compact, except for the short forend. How does it seem to you?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Super work here guys! Very helpful!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very close, with the exception of a straighter comb on the Kimber.
However because of scope mounting issues the compact will require a shorter lop.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.