Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some have called the ZB Brno 21H's and 22F's the finest mauser sporter ever made. I found a dealer today who has up to a dozen of them.

The dealer is COMAC GUNS in Glenmont, NY.

Right now he is at the gun show in West Springfield, MA so he might not be available until later this week.

He had five very nice ones there. Some were 22F carbines and other rifles. He also had a 21H there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yikes. Pretty steep prices. I only own one 7x57 that I swapped a Ruger #1 for last year. They are pretty fine rifles.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm only about 30 miles from Glenmont, never been to Comac's...probably have to ride over now.

There's a Brno 22H 7x57, double set triggers, nice checkering like those above, and detailed schnobel short forend that's been repaired by a pro some time ago. Blond walnut stock bumped and scratched as is appropriate for the age, action is smooth, bluing 80%, asking $865, but it's been sitting for a year.

It's at:
Shooter's Sports
3067 Main st.
Valatie, NY
518-758-1488
(ask for Patsy, tell her Jeff Germain refered you. she doen't do much with photos or the internet, but she'll answer all of your questions honestly.)

...please buy it so I don't have to.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Indeed the prices seem high however the rifles are in excellent shape with scopes. Also the dealer believes that, as others have written, that those 22f's etc. are "the finest production mauser ever made".

I got a couple of those Brno's off of Gun Broker a few years ago. The supply seems to have dried up for the under a grand style! The H you describe might make a nice hunter.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

My, those cards look very familiar. The rifles, too. I believe I saw them at the Indianapolis Gun Show recently.

Nice rifles. Out of my reach this year, though.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love those rifles... They are sweet indeed, however to fit me and be functional, I'd have to mess with the length of pull and get the scope down to a reasonable hight... then there's that safety...

Not much reason for me to mess with a classic, so I reluctantly pass all I see.

I also don't care for the double set triggers... the reach is wrong.

Beyond all that, their a simply elegant rifle with great lines.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with you on the safety so I had a M70 type three position type put on.

Now if a rifle does not fit you stock wise then its not for you but mine fits me very well. I am quite comfortable with it. In fact another member had that stock copied for a custom!

I practice with the DST's. They are cool. Its a fabulous rifle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice photo's of nice guns...I do think the market is catching up in priceing on these.They have been understated for a long time.I have 4 and have never had to 'tune' any of them,they shoot and handle like a dream.If you were to build one up today,I think you would spend a lot more...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
for 2k I think one could look for a while for a ZG 47 instead, it will likely have a better stock design as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ZG47,I believe was the best of the best...very hard to find.In the years looking for one,I found many desirable Win m70's,21 and 22's and bought several.At last, a couple of years ago,jumped all over a 47 in 7x64 in 90% condition.Still looking for the Holy Grail of one in 9.3x62,my luck has dimished.....All this talk will put a spot of light on them and maybe bring some out to the open air again.........rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For $2,000, you can find a custom rifle in pristine condition by a top European or American gunsmith, often on a vintage Brno 22 or Oberndorf Mauser action. It will probably be wearing a German scope claw mounts and have nice engraving, to boot.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My shooting friends that are into the Winchesters often tease me about my collection of odd European rifles. Anyway, I find the BRNO rifles to be very desirable from the standpoint that they are from a time when everything was built of steel and wood with plenty of hand work. They are also quite classy to behold. I'm always looking for them. Wouldn't pay $2000 to $3000 but someone might. Are they the best? Hmmmmm FN fans would probably argue that point as would early Husqvarna fans. Regardless, would be near the top. As far as fit and finish compared to other fine Euro rifles 98 style or otherwise, well.... lets just say Steyr, Heym, and Shultz & Larson weren't concerned they were being upscaled or even matched.
Dan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 2 early FN's and a 22H in 7x57 and 21F in 7x57. All are some of the finests firearms ever built. Everything built today pales in comparison.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My comment as to the Zg47's being the 'best of the best' was a referral to the Brno line of rifles.
Yes,in the world of 'Mausers',there are many fine examples of workmanship.I have a FN built by SAKO,built in 1958,unbelievable shooter,fit and finish surpasses the Browning Safari.
The Brno's are fine guns,if they fit you, they work and shoot very well,if not messed with, and kinda have a class of their own...

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I agree with you on the safety so I had a M70 type three position type put on.

Now if a rifle does not fit you stock wise then its not for you but mine fits me very well. I am quite comfortable with it. In fact another member had that stock copied for a custom!

I practice with the DST's. They are cool. Its a fabulous rifle.

[Linked Image]

That safety is a perfect fit...me likey smile
Usually when I talk about altering a BRNO people start flicking boogers at me!! But a firearm must fit the user, to meet it's potential.
LOP is easy to fix. Get the scope down where I like em and tweek the bolt handle just a speck. I could live with the trigger or switch it out....Then I would own one of the finest production rifles ever produce..IMHO

I'd love to see one of the major factory builders ( Kimber comes to mind ) produce a slender, egronomic, classic stock like that for their wares. What a joy that would be !!!

Great pictures 99, thx.

BT53

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The stock is as you say "slender, egronomic, and classic". Puts a modern lightweight to shame. I have a 1951 Model 21H in 7x57, unfired. Just cannot force myself to pull the trigger on a live round crazy

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's sinful..shoot it or sell it to me...

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle
That's sinful..shoot it or sell it to me...

+ one! If I own it - is gets shot. That's what their for smile

BT53

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IMO, they are the best commercial rifle ever built. They are a double square bridge small ring 98 type action, and the fit and finish is outstanding and they all seem to shoot very well. They also have a long throat and magazine so that you can load them up real fast by seating the bullets way out especially in the 7x57 and 8x57, and even the 7x64..I have not found the safty to be objectionable but have installed 3 pos. M-70 type safties on some of them.

I would buy any Brno 21 or 22 safety out there is you have one.

They compare favoribly with any custom rifle IMO......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.