-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first was at 453 yds and the second was about 250-275.

Thats a helluva poke for an opensighter handgun!! Good job!

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BobinNH
Just getting lazy, Bob. If it doesn't fit in a number 3 shell holder and use 4350 or 4831, I don't want to use it! My 338 is grandfathered in on the shellholder requirment.
What have you got planned for hunts?
Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just did the math and my average KILL shot has been taken at about 94 yards. They've ranged from about 20 to 185.

My first shot at an elk was an ill-advised "long shot" that I would certainly pass up in favor of a stalk now; but at age 14 I didn't know any better. I missed another shot at an elk about a dozen years ago. This was a running shot and, in hindsight, I should have let him go. Anyhow, if I average in the misses with the hits, it makes my "average shooting distance on elk" right around 100 yards.

ttpoz

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
once again thanks to all for your posts and good info.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shot a 25 stw in the mid 90s, it was flat, and burned up barrels fairly quickly. Not sure I consider it an elk round but put the bullet where it needs to be and all will be just fine. We used the 25 as a woodchuck gun and it would reach right on out there. My buddy had the 25 and an 7 stw also.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah that was my first thought when I saw the post

.25 cal and 100gr bullet definetly would never be my choice.

But at 4000fps in the right spot would do the job.

Free country though.

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d have not one stinking issue if I could stick it in the ribs or exit through a shoulder, but bone on entry might scare me.... you know me, I operate on carry enough gun that if I want to take any shot, I can....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys I know the 25 cal is on the small size and i have three 338 cal rifles i use for Elk but i want to kill a Elk with this rifle so decided to use it and that was with a lot of decisive thinking on it before deciding to take it. I know what the rifle will do and i know my shooting ability so the 25 STW is packed and ready to go. I am a firm believer that if you shoot them where they live they just don't really care what cal rifle you use, they just lay down and die. The Barnes TX takes a small cal rifle and makes it perform like a bigger cal. I believe you lose a Elk from poor shot placement rather than the cal rifle you use.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
don't worry, I"d personally have no qualms about hunting em with my 243s....it just limits one a bit to shot choice and distances.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most all of this will come down the type of country that you're hunting. Some of the country we hunt it is easy to average under 100 yds to 200 yds.

And then some of the other country we hunt it is easy to average 400-500.

Just depends and it's nice to be prepared for where you're gonna hunt and so with practice you'll know to what ranges you're capable of taking elk (note I didn't say you'll know to which ranges that your rifles capable of, most all people run out of ability b4 their rifles do)

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royce
omega
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if I were to recommend an elk rifle to someone who has never hunted elk before, it would be a decent 30/06, topped with a Leupold 2X7 scope, shooting 165 grain Partitions or X bullets.
Fred

This is EXACTLY what I bought my younger brother for his all-arounder a few years ago, so I couldn't agree more. Makes perfect sense.

I've made it much, much more complicated for myself though. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My closest was about 50 feet, farthest about 220 to 225 yards, missed one at a lazered 312 yds. I think that was the farthest shot I've tried on Elk. I've taken a couple deer at about 300, but I try to stay under about 250 yds now days. I've gotten to old to try farther without a rock solid rest and plenty of time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Average would be less than 100 yds. Figuring in the 30 plus years of hunting elk I can say the longest is maybe 240 yds but the the majority being in the 50-100 yd range.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by skb2706
Average would be less than 100 yds. Figuring in the 30 plus years of hunting elk I can say the longest is maybe 240 yds but the the majority being in the 50-100 yd range.

exactly my experience!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Before you make a final decision, read Royce's post again very carefully. Then get into the best physical shape possible. For the record my typical shot has been about 150- 200yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
average has been about 120yds. Closest was 33yds.

Royce has made a good suggestion, but I'd opt for 180gr bullets. When I was shooting a 30-06 and the 165 Partition's I never had one exit the elk.

As others have said, the rifle is the easy part, being in hunting shape is what matters most.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by omega1349

I know it will vary depending on what part of the country your hunting. So generally speaking at what distance are most elks taken?

Thanks!

I think the real question here is "how far am I prepared and capable of making a consistent kill shot under hunting conditions?"

This is really what you need to know and be prepared for.......most of the shorter shots are "easier", if there is such a thing.

As many have stated, "average" kill distance might be something like 150-200 yards, but depending on when and where you're hunting, as well as what kind of animal you're looking to shoot, you need to be prepared to shoot much farther than the "average".

Shooting a cow or spike or even a raghorn can usually be done at fairly close range and (for me) wouldn't warrant a long shot.

On a high dollar, guided hunt for a BIG bull, you should be able to have confidence in your ability to cleanly kill an elk at at least 350-400 yards.........regardless of what some may think or say, there are times and circumstances where you simple cannot get closer, so it's either shoot or pass.

With any high velocity cartridge suitable for serious elk hunting, (270/7-08 class being minimum,) 400 yards on an elk sized animal is not asking too much from a decent shooter, who has practiced and knows his gun.

As someone already mentioned, the 'o6 makes a great elk rifle, especially with the bullets available today.

Nothing at all wrong with the bigger stuff if you like 'em and can shoot 'em well, but in reality, compared to the 'o6 or the 270, it's really not needed.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anything less than 1000 yards is ...unethical! laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot 8 and most have been close I had a 325 or so downhill a couple of years ago. He did'nt know I was there, he ate good..340 wby he died after spinning 180.
Most shots under 100 and most running or at least moving.
I did pop the antlers off of one a few years back with a close up head shot. 340 at maybe 5 yards. One of the antlers came totally detatched from the skull after skinning.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The 30-06 is a good choice, hunting for elk can be close as in timber and steep canyons, or it can be long 300 plus yards such as open country in eastern Utah, Montana and Wyoming. Bullet energy is critical and there are a number of excellent ones out there.

Taking and comparing the 308, 30-06, and the 300Win Mag, there is allot in common out to 300yds. Each however has about a 20% increase in energy incrementally. Bullet drop is within a couple of inches of one another. But the 300WM has considerably greater recoil. Generally if you see elk at long distance you can get closer. But, there are times when you can't. Moments like this require expert riflemanship, knowing what your rifle is capable of out to YOUR MPBR (Maximum point blank range).

Anyone with good coaching and allot of practice can shoot well out to 350-400yds. Most calibers require hold-over or adjustment in eleveation to make a clean kill at 400yds.

I shoot a 300WM and have made clean kills on elk out to 600yds.
They weren't aware of me and they were totally unaware.
But, it's not my first choice in distance. I prefer to be within 100yds.

God doesn't give you what you want. He help's you with what you given!

Go with the 30-06, 4-14x50mm Luepold, duplex reticle, and target knobs. Establish your base zero at 100yds and verify elevation come-ups out to 500yds. For hunting in the field dial in for 200yds than anything you see out to 350yds is meat in the cooler without any further adjustments.

Remember if you hold over and aim at air, your only going to kill air. Make the required adjustments and aim right on POA/POI.
SEMPER FIDELIS

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.